Possible subsidence, about to change insurance - claim now or later?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Possible subsidence, about to change insurance - claim now or later?

    I'm looking for some wise advice from those more experienced than I with insurance and subsidence claims.

    Our house (circa 1890 semi-detached) is on a small slope and had some evidence of small "historical" movements when we bought it 20 years ago. Very little has changed since, and a structural engineer didn't mention subsidence in an inspection 4 years ago. However, it seems the neighbours' house has developed cracks near the party wall in the last few years, and they seem to suspect OUR house is to blame as we are further down the (small) incline. They say they have inspection reports from the last 6 months, but we haven't seen anything yet.

    To complicate matters slightly, we are changing from our current landlord's insurance policy to a homeowner's policy in a couple weeks, as we will be moving into the house ourselves.

    We are slightly worried about
    1) raising the issue of subsidence on our current landlord's policy, as this might make our new (already agreed and paid for) homeowner's insurance invalid.
    2) waiting until we move in to raise the topic, as our new insurance might balk at a subsidence claim if we make it shortly after the policy starts.
    3) being stuck in a no-man's zone between the two policies, with neither willing to cover...if indeed there is subsidence.

    Both policies are with the same company, which will hopefully help.

    We don't even know if there is subsidence of course, but it does seem possible. Any advice from those who know more about how insurance companies would treat such things would be most appreciated. Raise it immediately? Raise it later? Do our own inspection first and only then contact the company?

    Thanks in advance!

    #2
    I think you are fairly okay as they are the same firm.

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks JK0. So you think there is minimal risk that they will somehow claim we failed to disclose the problem? We honestly don't know if there IS a subs problem, and the neighbours aren't being clear or sharing their reports...current and new plans have the same underwriter though, so I'm hoping even if there is a problem that they will not try to refuse coverage. Which do you think is a bigger risk?

      Comment

      Latest Activity

      Collapse

      Working...
      X