Possible subsidence, about to change insurance - claim now or later?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible subsidence, about to change insurance - claim now or later?

I'm looking for some wise advice from those more experienced than I with insurance and subsidence claims.

Our house (circa 1890 semi-detached) is on a small slope and had some evidence of small "historical" movements when we bought it 20 years ago. Very little has changed since, and a structural engineer didn't mention subsidence in an inspection 4 years ago. However, it seems the neighbours' house has developed cracks near the party wall in the last few years, and they seem to suspect OUR house is to blame as we are further down the (small) incline. They say they have inspection reports from the last 6 months, but we haven't seen anything yet.

To complicate matters slightly, we are changing from our current landlord's insurance policy to a homeowner's policy in a couple weeks, as we will be moving into the house ourselves.

We are slightly worried about
    1) raising the issue of subsidence on our current landlord's policy, as this might make our new (already agreed and paid for) homeowner's insurance invalid.
    2) waiting until we move in to raise the topic, as our new insurance might balk at a subsidence claim if we make it shortly after the policy starts.
    3) being stuck in a no-man's zone between the two policies, with neither willing to cover...if indeed there is subsidence.

Both policies are with the same company, which will hopefully help.

We don't even know if there is subsidence of course, but it does seem possible. Any advice from those who know more about how insurance companies would treat such things would be most appreciated. Raise it immediately? Raise it later? Do our own inspection first and only then contact the company?

Thanks in advance!

I think you are fairly okay as they are the same firm.

Comment

Thanks JK0. So you think there is minimal risk that they will somehow claim we failed to disclose the problem? We honestly don't know if there IS a subs problem, and the neighbours aren't being clear or sharing their reports...current and new plans have the same underwriter though, so I'm hoping even if there is a problem that they will not try to refuse coverage. Which do you think is a bigger risk?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent Guarantee Insurance
        by oi2004as
        Hi

I would be interested in your view on the following

I received a renewal Legal & Rent Guarantee Insurance documents from Rentguard (which initiallyy I purchased through Openrent)

There is the following condition in their 'statement of fact':
        "The...
        11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
      • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
        by tatemono
        that's the rent guarantee insurance we use and which has worked for us for many years....
        13-07-2020, 20:58 PM
        by AndrewDod
        No 7.1 will not likely stand up in court. You cannot have open ended guarantor deeds that apply in this way robustly.

The fact that you have said that it will apply also to unknown rental increases, for an unknown term, and covers unknown costs means that it is likely invalid
        13-07-2020, 19:39 PM
        by oi2004as
        To jpkeates
        This is not about zero-risk option. The part which I do not like the most is that I become tenant-dependant for buying insurance.
        They may not reply to my email about their circumstances
        They may not provide correct information
        They may not allow to run re-referencing...
        13-07-2020, 19:14 PM
        by theartfullodger
        HOW was the guarantee documented please? Enacted as a deed? Guarantor credit checked, given AST & guarantee and advised to take legal advice prior to signing, please?...
        13-07-2020, 19:06 PM
        by oi2004as
        To AndrewDod
        I have a guarantor on this Tenancy Agreement.
        This is 12-month fixed and then becoming rolling (monthly) contactual agreement.
        The guarantor is a party to the agreement (signed)
        The agreement has the following clauses:
        7.1 In consideration of the Landlord agreeing...
        13-07-2020, 19:00 PM
        by jpkeates
        I think you're looking for a zero-risk option, but property letting is an investment business with risk baked in.
        I don't blame you! But I think you're going to struggle.

Like all of us, the rent guarantee insurance sellers didn't see the pandemic coming, and it wasn't covered in...
        13-07-2020, 16:25 PM
        by AndrewDod
        If a guarantor agreement is valid at all (which is a BIG if) it is not going to be valid past the initial fixed term (no matter what it says) - so as much use as non-stick Sellotape or Jeremy Corbyn....
        13-07-2020, 16:08 PM
        by Boab
        I doubt anyone in this town has ten years rent. I’m obviously being Uber selective on tenants , but I also wondered about guarantors as well. Does a guarantor have the absolute obligation to cover rent defaults or can they avoid paying as well?...
        13-07-2020, 15:47 PM
      • Buildings & Contents Insurance - Recommendations
        by landlord-man
        Can anyone recommend a broker / insurance provider? I have a 1st floor property with 4 flats.

I'm looking for recommendations on who provided a fair quote but also any recommendations on companies who actually paid out a claim promptly / fairly.

Thank You...
        13-07-2020, 10:57 AM
      Working...
      X