I want advice not information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want advice not information

Most insurance companies and brokers seem to say that they "provide information about our products and services so that you can make you own decision".

I don't want this. I want to be able to explain my situation to a firm and for them to say "Right, based on what you have said, we recommend that you take the ZZZ policy underwritten by XXX company as it's the best fit for your situation and needs." I am happy to pay a fee rather than them earn commission for access to their expertise since I can put that down as a necessary business expense.

Anyone know if there are firms out there that work that way ??

If you went on to my company's website now, you would enter all your details and then be presented with a selection of quotes with all the information there for you to make your own decision. Sure the quotes will be in price order, but cover will vary and there is no way that our website (or any other insurance company/broker website) could offer you advice or recommendations. All it can do is give you every ounce of information on every policy available so that you can make your own informed decision. All sales on our website are therefore classed as "non-advised sales".

As soon as you call up and start asking questions, whether that be right from the very beginning or after you have completed a quote on the website, you are starting to receive advice. The information collected by the professional you are speaking to enables them to provide a recommendation based on your demands and needs. This would then be an "advised sale".

As far as I know, most firms work this way so I think you just need to call up and speak to a professional insurance advisor rather than visit websites.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Thanks Steve, I wasn't aware that the 'advised' route was available in General Insurance. As an IFA, all my clients receive regulated advice and I like that business model :-)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not quite another water leak question.
        Shreeve
        So today it was discovered there is a leak in our kitchen, directly above our window. I did some investigating and found a possible source, which appears to be a crack on the outside of the building, but above where our ceiling ends and above where our upstairs neighbors kitchen floor begins. The problem...
        16-03-2019, 15:46 PM
      • Reply to Not quite another water leak question.
        Shreeve
        I'm not the freeholder. I only own the house I currently live in. I tried contacting the letting agent, but that was on Saturday and I'm calling Monday. I had another look and noticed on the roof there are a few tiles loose above where the leak is, so I'm assuming that is the responsibility of everyone...
        17-03-2019, 22:43 PM
        jpkeates
        I'd start with the letting agent - they're possibly in touch with the estate.
        17-03-2019, 11:52 AM
        Jon66
        The trustees aka executors of the will hold ownership of the property. If no will the property will be subject to intestacy rules. Check the probate office for the name of the owner as a will is in the public domain and it will also name the trustees who won'tbe difficult to find once you have their...
        16-03-2019, 20:49 PM
        buzzard1994
        Someone still owns that flat.You need to try and find out who and ask them to check for leaks - although if the place is empty the water is probably off and then you are looking at possible rainwater penetration.Are you the freeholder?
        16-03-2019, 18:48 PM
      • Insurance/charity
        Forever Forest
        Does anyone know of any insurance companies who offer LL cover if the property is leased to a charity?

Many thanks in advance.
        25-01-2019, 18:19 PM
      • Reply to Insurance/charity
        leonaph
        I though it sounded a good idea when my agent said a charity was interested in renting my house, to house single mothers and I just let him get on with it. But now I've probably fallen foul of my insurance company.
        I did not realize I was entering into a lease, Did not see the lease as the agent...
        14-03-2019, 16:40 PM
      • Policy details
        michelle230
        Hi on my insurance policy it states a 50% uplift. My understanding is that means insuring for 50% increase for inflation (in ONE year) for a potential rebuild!
        Have I understood this correctly and is this just yet another way to inflate the premiums?
        50%???
        Thanks
        Michelle
        05-03-2019, 14:53 PM
      • Reply to Policy details
        michelle230
        Hi thanks for taking time to reply.
        Yes - it does say in the lease that the freeholders have the right to insure.
        However I spoke to the Lease Advisory Service and they said I only need to be insured for what it says in my lease. Therefore expecting me to insure their hundreds of riskier...
        08-03-2019, 11:49 AM
      • Water escape liability question - managing agent and / or owner?
        catew
        Hi, first post here and really hope someone can help!

Three months ago there was water escape from the top flat that went through two others and then amassed in my ground floor flat. The owner was impossible to get hold of but I got a plumber to stop the leak and make a temporary repair....
        05-03-2019, 12:40 PM
      Working...
      X