Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other owner not adequately insured.

Hi there,

There was a leak from the water heater in a flat that I let, the leak caused some damage to two flats below. The owner of one of the flats is claiming for the damage through her insurance.

The owner of the other flat has contacted me and told me that she only has contents insurance and that her insurance can’t help. She contacted my insurance directly and my insurance wouldn’t speak to her. I contacted my insurance and they said they can’t deal with her directly so can not help.

I’ve since received an abrupt letter from the lady, she feels that she shouldn’t be paying for repainting when the damage isn’t her fault.

I’m in need of advice on how to proceed in this matter. I understand her frustration but I also don’t see why I should pay out of my pocket when I’m insured and she wasn’t adequately insured.

Any help is much appreciated.

Were you to blame? If so, it will come out of your pocket even if the other person is insured, as their insurer will claim from yours. You do have public liability insurance?

If you weren't to blame, the neighbour will fail if they try to sue you.

Comment

Also, it is unusual for building insurance not to be the responsibility of the freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        Also, it is unusual for building insurance not to be the responsibility of the freeholder.
        Thank you for your response.

The water heater in my flat leaked, causing water damage to two flats below. The issue is that one of the owners affected below only has contents insurance so she can’t claim through her insurance, and my insurance won’t deal with her as she can’t claim through her insurance as she’s not adequately covered. She would like me to offer a solution, but I think it’s unfair that I should payout to rectify this issue when I have insurance for this kind of issue and the reason it can’t go through our insurance companies is through her not having the correct insurance.

The flat is leasehold and I have landlords including liability insurance.

Comment

You are only liable for the damage to the flats below if you are negligent.

Things leak and damage occurs as a consequence.
          You have a duty of care to your neighbours not to allow damage to occur if you can avoid it, not an unlimited liability should something just "happen".

Without negligence, the neighbours have no claim on you at all.
          Their decision to buy insurance and what it covers is nothing to do with you (and doesn't affect who is liable to pay anything).

As a solution, I'd be tempted to suggest that she applies the "saving" in insurance premiums over time to the cost of the repair.
          As that was presumably the mental calculation done when deciding to insure only some parts of her property.
          But I wouldn't succumb to that temptation in real life.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates,

Very helpful thanks, fingers crossed this issue will be resolved soon.

Comment

jpkeates,

You'd think that HIS pipes were ****, which is why they leaked, and therefore you'd think that he was liable for the consequences, but no. Only if they started leaking, and he ignored it, knowing it would cause an issue, would he be liable.

Strange how the law works isn't it.

As an aside you are describing "self insurance".

Comment

So the building is not insured by the landlord, then?

Comment

Here is a smiliar thread on here -
                  https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...want-me-to-pay

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insrance cover for leaseholder
                    gmt4114
                    Hello, I inherited a
                    downstairs
                    flat in a typical terraced street, I also am the leaseholder for the upstairs flat, I receive no benefit for this I think the term is peppercorn lease. I have asked D Line for a quote on the flat I own and they have quoted me for this but they said I have to have cover...
                    20-03-2019, 14:51 PM
                  • Reply to Insrance cover for leaseholder
                    leaseholder64
                    This only makes some sense if you are the freeholder.

There is an unusual arrangement, in part of the North East, where two parties are own the leaseholds of the flat where they live and the freehold of the other flat. Are you in that party of the country, and specifically where.
                    20-03-2019, 15:16 PM
                  • Not quite another water leak question.
                    Shreeve
                    So today it was discovered there is a leak in our kitchen, directly above our window. I did some investigating and found a possible source, which appears to be a crack on the outside of the building, but above where our ceiling ends and above where our upstairs neighbors kitchen floor begins. The problem...
                    16-03-2019, 15:46 PM
                  • Reply to Not quite another water leak question.
                    Shreeve
                    I'm not the freeholder. I only own the house I currently live in. I tried contacting the letting agent, but that was on Saturday and I'm calling Monday. I had another look and noticed on the roof there are a few tiles loose above where the leak is, so I'm assuming that is the responsibility of everyone...
                    17-03-2019, 22:43 PM
                    jpkeates
                    I'd start with the letting agent - they're possibly in touch with the estate.
                    17-03-2019, 11:52 AM
                    Jon66
                    The trustees aka executors of the will hold ownership of the property. If no will the property will be subject to intestacy rules. Check the probate office for the name of the owner as a will is in the public domain and it will also name the trustees who won'tbe difficult to find once you have their...
                    16-03-2019, 20:49 PM
                    buzzard1994
                    Someone still owns that flat.You need to try and find out who and ask them to check for leaks - although if the place is empty the water is probably off and then you are looking at possible rainwater penetration.Are you the freeholder?
                    16-03-2019, 18:48 PM
                  • Insurance/charity
                    Forever Forest
                    Does anyone know of any insurance companies who offer LL cover if the property is leased to a charity?

Many thanks in advance.
                    25-01-2019, 18:19 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance/charity
                    leonaph
                    I though it sounded a good idea when my agent said a charity was interested in renting my house, to house single mothers and I just let him get on with it. But now I've probably fallen foul of my insurance company.
                    I did not realize I was entering into a lease, Did not see the lease as the agent...
                    14-03-2019, 16:40 PM
                  • Policy details
                    michelle230
                    Hi on my insurance policy it states a 50% uplift. My understanding is that means insuring for 50% increase for inflation (in ONE year) for a potential rebuild!
                    Have I understood this correctly and is this just yet another way to inflate the premiums?
                    50%???
                    Thanks
                    Michelle
                    05-03-2019, 14:53 PM
                  Working...
                  X