Insurance dispute

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Insurance dispute

    Hi, looking for some advice. We currently have a 1 bed property that the tenants have abandoned. On entering there is a major damp problem which seems to be stemming from one particular point in the wall at just above skirting level. Only pipe behind there is a plastic overflow pipe from the ground floor bathroom. Insurance assessor was out Thursday gone and seemed to think (due to state of plaster board wall and damp in that area) that there is some kind of leak behind the wall in that area. We agree. Assessor's office has rang this morning and is knocking claim back on the basis that it is condensation in the property (not a leak). I think a lot of the damp growth in the property is from condensation but from water that has originated from the leak. Property consists of open plan living room through to kitchen with bathroom off at the rear. Stairs from front door (open) up to galley bedroom. There is no damp in the kitchen, bathroom or bedroom. The damp pattern is very 'one sided' from left to right of living room, worse in the area we think the leak is. Having taken up the floor this weekend (absolutely sodden), you can see a water spread pattern from the area we think the leak is on the concrete slab, no wet floor at other side of room. Any ideas how we go about fighting this decision? Thanks

    Take some photos of what you describe above, repair the flat, then sue the insurer.


      Thanks, going to get plumber out as well in the hope that he can write a report and fix leak at the same time. Just going off the water spread you can see it's not (just) condensation. Assessor didn't take up floor or break away wall when he was out though which I would have thought he would have done. At least the wall to expose the pipe and actually view what was going on. I'm worried if we expose pipe to show leak insurance company will say we've just created it so want independent plumber to do it.


        Oh, well that's why it's important to take lots of photos as you investigate.

        Insurers might even agree your claim once you send them.


          'Galley bedroom' is a new one on me! I wouldn't claim for this sort of repair - your premium will only go up and you seem to have identified the problem.

          Freedom at the point of zero............


          Latest Activity


          • Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by flyingfreehold
            Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

            A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
            17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
          • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by desamax
            Our excess have been increased, the 'escape of water' one is now 5K from £250 all others have doubled. This is a mixed use property all sold off on long leases. we have a feeling our landlord has had the insurance declined by the long standing insurer and we now have some unknown underwriter, the policy...
            04-07-2020, 12:47 PM
          • Leasehold Second Home insurance
            by Rincewind
            Hi All

            I have a leasehold holiday home (flat).

            The lease states: . . . "the lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common...
            27-06-2020, 09:18 AM
          • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
            by Rincewind
            yes but . . . the lease says

            "The lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common services against fire and such other risks (if any) as...
            29-06-2020, 17:06 PM
          • Reply to Building Insurance
            by hexu
            Hi ATC, I seem to misunderstand your point previously. My solicitor has written to the freeholder, but he does not accept our position. His reply is shown as below:

            "Insurance companies are unable to cover the structure of the building and common parts of the building without taking...
            27-06-2020, 19:00 PM
          • Building Insurance
            by hexu
            The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

            I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
            30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
          • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
            by Section20z
            I think your best bet is to notify the insurers directly that it is occasionally vacant for longer periods . (As long as your lease has no clause against it) otherwise you may be liable as you say.
            Failing that make sure it's occupied at least once a month.
            You can use C19 as a valid excuse...
            27-06-2020, 12:01 PM
          • Gas boiler insurance
            by blinko
            Hi all,

            I'm due the annual gas safety and wanted to ask does anyone take out any insurance based gas boiler service product.

            as I'm thinking i spend around 60 for the certificate but if it was say 100 for the insurance PLUS a certificate very year that might make sense to me....
            21-06-2020, 09:27 AM
          • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
            by jpkeates
            A hidden benefit of BG's cover is that when they can't get an engineer straight out (most autumn seasons) the tenant tends to blame them rather than me.
            23-06-2020, 13:12 PM
          • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
            by flyingfreehold
            Quite often a freeholder will own a flat or two in its own block. Former's porters flat; flats formerly let to sitting tenants, and so forth
            23-06-2020, 04:23 AM