Insurance dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance dispute

Hi, looking for some advice. We currently have a 1 bed property that the tenants have abandoned. On entering there is a major damp problem which seems to be stemming from one particular point in the wall at just above skirting level. Only pipe behind there is a plastic overflow pipe from the ground floor bathroom. Insurance assessor was out Thursday gone and seemed to think (due to state of plaster board wall and damp in that area) that there is some kind of leak behind the wall in that area. We agree. Assessor's office has rang this morning and is knocking claim back on the basis that it is condensation in the property (not a leak). I think a lot of the damp growth in the property is from condensation but from water that has originated from the leak. Property consists of open plan living room through to kitchen with bathroom off at the rear. Stairs from front door (open) up to galley bedroom. There is no damp in the kitchen, bathroom or bedroom. The damp pattern is very 'one sided' from left to right of living room, worse in the area we think the leak is. Having taken up the floor this weekend (absolutely sodden), you can see a water spread pattern from the area we think the leak is on the concrete slab, no wet floor at other side of room. Any ideas how we go about fighting this decision? Thanks

Take some photos of what you describe above, repair the flat, then sue the insurer.

Comment

Thanks, going to get plumber out as well in the hope that he can write a report and fix leak at the same time. Just going off the water spread you can see it's not (just) condensation. Assessor didn't take up floor or break away wall when he was out though which I would have thought he would have done. At least the wall to expose the pipe and actually view what was going on. I'm worried if we expose pipe to show leak insurance company will say we've just created it so want independent plumber to do it.

Comment

Oh, well that's why it's important to take lots of photos as you investigate.

Insurers might even agree your claim once you send them.

Comment

'Galley bedroom' is a new one on me! I wouldn't claim for this sort of repair - your premium will only go up and you seem to have identified the problem.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X