Should the building insurance cover bike theft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nukecad
    replied
    Check your bank account, if you are paying a monthly 'fee' then it may include some kind of insurance, which may cover your possessions.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Maschke
    replied
    Thanks a lot for the responses. That's what I thought.
    Shame.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Blocks of flats policies often have public liability elements as well as building elements, but there would be no liability if all reasonable measures had been taken to secure the area, and I'm not sure if the residents would count as the public.

In the unlikely event that you exceed, expect the rapid appearance of "cycles are left at your own risk" signs.

Leave a comment:

• ashburnham
    replied
    A bike is not part of the building so there would be no cover under a buildings insurance policy. You would need some form of contents insurance to make a claim for theft of a bicycle and it sounds like you unfortunately did not have this cover in place at the time.

If you are suggesting some form of claim against the management company for poor security then I think you will struggle. You said "forced open" the gate which suggests it wasn't wide open. Even if it was, I think ultimately the responsibility of securing and insuring your own contents ultimately lies with you.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Maschke
    started a topic Should the building insurance cover bike theft?

Should the building insurance cover bike theft?

Hello,

I recently moved into a new flat in a building which has a private courtyard with a bike shed in it. I locked my bike in it.

A couple of weeks ago, two men forced open the courtyard gate, the shed and cut the chains/locks of two bicycles, including mine.
    I did not have contents insurance at that point yet.

I filed a report with the police, they even have the CCTV footage where at least one of the thief's can be seen clearly.

The property management company said this would not be covered by the building insurance.

Is there anything I could claim?
    I know for a fact that the courtyard gate was not 100% secure, and has as far as I know not been fixed after the theft.

Thank you!

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
    by desamax
    Our excess have been increased, the 'escape of water' one is now 5K from £250 all others have doubled. This is a mixed use property all sold off on long leases. we have a feeling our landlord has had the insurance declined by the long standing insurer and we now have some unknown underwriter, the policy...
    04-07-2020, 12:47 PM
  • Insurance premiums going through the roof
    by flyingfreehold
    Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
    17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
  • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
    by Rincewind
    yes but . . . the lease says

"The lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common services against fire and such other risks (if any) as...
    29-06-2020, 17:06 PM
  • Leasehold Second Home insurance
    by Rincewind
    Hi All

I have a leasehold holiday home (flat).

The lease states: . . . "the lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common...
    27-06-2020, 09:18 AM
  • Reply to Building Insurance
    by hexu
    Hi ATC, I seem to misunderstand your point previously. My solicitor has written to the freeholder, but he does not accept our position. His reply is shown as below:

"Insurance companies are unable to cover the structure of the building and common parts of the building without taking...
    27-06-2020, 19:00 PM
  • Building Insurance
    by hexu
    The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
    30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
  • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
    by Section20z
    I think your best bet is to notify the insurers directly that it is occasionally vacant for longer periods . (As long as your lease has no clause against it) otherwise you may be liable as you say.
    Failing that make sure it's occupied at least once a month.
    You can use C19 as a valid excuse...
    27-06-2020, 12:01 PM
  • Gas boiler insurance
    by blinko
    Hi all,

I'm due the annual gas safety and wanted to ask does anyone take out any insurance based gas boiler service product.

as I'm thinking i spend around 60 for the certificate but if it was say 100 for the insurance PLUS a certificate very year that might make sense to me....
    21-06-2020, 09:27 AM
  • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
    by jpkeates
    A hidden benefit of BG's cover is that when they can't get an engineer straight out (most autumn seasons) the tenant tends to blame them rather than me.
    23-06-2020, 13:12 PM
  • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
    by flyingfreehold
    Quite often a freeholder will own a flat or two in its own block. Former's porters flat; flats formerly let to sitting tenants, and so forth
    23-06-2020, 04:23 AM
Working...
X