Student or Leaseholder??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixerupper
    started a topic Student or Leaseholder??

Student or Leaseholder??

I've always had students bar 1 year and insured with the same firm. I pay £800 per year for buildings and contents insurance + accidental damage. Excess is £100; flat's a tenement, 2 bedrooms. The policy was taken out on my behalf by my old letting agent about 20 odd years ago. I'm sure I've told them in the past that I rent to students (over the phone). I was on their website and they say they don't cover properties that have students but do for 'leaseholders'. I've always had a lease, through letting agents. Does it mean that I need to get a new policy because they're students, or can I argue that they're 'leaseholders'? Seemingly it's a very old policy as they couldn't find the details initially. (I'd called them to talk about the new types of lease in Scotland.)

• fixerupper
    replied
    Thanks for the advice. Yes it's a tenanct agreement each year with new tenants each year. The £800 doesn't include renat guarantee insurance, which I get through my letting agent as the dates don't match (insurance due Feb/March and tenants usually in August/September). I did call one of the team last week and he said it was ok but 'that's not my area of expertise'. He didn't say I should call and check with anyone else but am considering contacting the 'experts'.

Leave a comment:

• ashburnham
    replied
    Leaseholder generally means they own the property on a long term lease and are paying you ground rent. I assume this is not the case and you have a "tenancy agreement" in place and therefore the students are tenants.

I wouldn't rely on what a website says, especially as you have a long standing policy. Insurers change their rules all the time so it may well be that student tenants were fine when you took the policy out but now they dont take them on for new policies any more. Your existing policy may remain valid unless they have told you otherwise in the last 20 years. In theory they have student tenants on your record if this is what you told them originally so it would be extremely bad practice if they are still collecting your renewal premium every year for an invalid policy!

The only way you are going to know for certain and to put your mind at rest is by speaking to your existing insurer/broker. I would also suggest that £800 p/a seems excessive so maybe it is time to move to a new policy anyway.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    What do they mean by "leaseholder"? It is normally understood to refer to someone with a long lease.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damage to my property insurance claim
    retro
    The owner of the next door property has recently crashed his car into brick wall in front of my house. He demolished the whole of the front garden.
    I would like to get compensation from his insurance policy.
    Will my insurance premium go up if I proceed with the claim through my insurer who...
    10-12-2018, 23:32 PM
  • Reply to Damage to my property insurance claim
    JK0
    What Ram said.

I've come to the conclusion that home insurers would love you to claim with them for damage others have done... Think about it... they get full compensation from the insurers of the miscreant, but only pay you out (compensation-excess). Then for the next few years, they can...
    10-12-2018, 23:58 PM
  • Reply to Damage to my property insurance claim
    ram
    It is up to next door property to pay to fix the damage.

Where he gets the money from to fix is immaterial.
    The cost for You to engage builders to rectify the damage comes from 3 sources.
    1) next door property pays your builders quote, in advance.
    2) His insurance liaises
    10-12-2018, 23:51 PM
  • Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
    Berlingogirl
    Mum is buying a bungalow built in somebody's back garden. There are 9 properties altogether and they are freehold.

There is a resident's association and everyone pays into a public liability insurance for the unadopted tarmac access road.

My question is this: Is it normal for...
    04-12-2018, 10:51 AM
  • Reply to Public liability on land adjoining a freehold property
    Berlingogirl
    I don't think the council will ever adopt this private road. The road is private so the property owners aren't liable for the repairs as they would be if it was just unadpoted and not private. (I read the Highways Act).

In the conveyance document dated 1977, so not that old, references...
    07-12-2018, 17:32 PM
    leaseholder64
    Councils won't adopt roads unless they service a significant community. In the current climate, that road is never going to be adopted.

Even if it were important enough to adopt, it would have to be brought up to council standards before it was adopted.
    07-12-2018, 11:06 AM
    Gordon999
    I think some councils are hard-up and have no budget to take on private roads.

So these roads have to be maintained by the house owners on the estate.
    07-12-2018, 10:57 AM
    Berlingogirl
    Thank you leaseholder64. There are some other issues however but I won't bore you with the details. Several small but important details need sorting. part of the problem is, I think, older people have bought properties on the estate and not questioned the issues I'm questioning so the info hasn't passed...
    04-12-2018, 16:33 PM
    Berlingogirl
    I've got this sorted - nearly. I would delete the post but I can't so here's the situation so far - just 4 of the residents own the private unadopted area and everyone chips in for the public liability. The 4 owners are responsible for any shortfall should there be a claim or repairs....
    04-12-2018, 16:30 PM
    leaseholder64
    You should be concerned if you mother is not partially responsible for the upkeep of the road, and there is not a covenant to that effect noted on the title for the property.

The land will have started off belonging to someone, although it may have reverted to the Crown. The Crown do not...
    04-12-2018, 13:23 PM
Working...
X