Building insurance being charged by freeholder

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Building insurance being charged by freeholder

    i'm sure this one comes up all the time but I went through the first few pages and couldn't find an answer.

    The freehold for my flat is owned by Pier management (Regis group) in Southend. The building comprises of two flats with an equal division of the insurance. The amount we are being charged by Pier for this insurance is over £1200 per year. This is extremely excessive.

    I have provided them with additional policies to show that this is way over what we could be covered for, However, they are not accepting these as they don't match their own policy exactly. I am finding it impossible to find a policy that matches exactly and I don't know how to. I don't want to give up and stay overcharged by them.

    If anyone has any idea/advise it would be greatly appreciated!

    Apply to the First Tier Tribunal for a determination.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.


      Before you make application to FTT , you must get some quotes for insured cover on " like for like" cover basis . The FTT will not compare quotes if the insured cover is different.

      You must send a written request by registered post to the MA for a summary of insured cover under the buildings insurance policy for your address.

      This summary will show the name of policy holder, the cover period of policy , the insured value for re-instatement of the building, insured value for public liability and other covers etc and this information must be given to you within 30 days or it becomes a criminal offence .

      After you have the exact spec , then you can get the alternative quotes which FTT are able to compare with current policy cost of 1200 pds.


      Latest Activity


      • Unoccupied Property Insurance
        by Marcus Read
        Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft)...
        24-12-2021, 10:56 AM
      • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
        by ifallelsefails
        I've looked at unoccupied insurance a lot and I found that the most comprehensive insurer and least burdensome out there was from Alan Blunden Insurance Brokers (they run the "ABACUS" system which allows other insurance brokers to insure through them too).
        You can go to Cover4LetProperty...
        22-01-2022, 22:27 PM
      • Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
        by JamesHopeful
        Is it possible to obtain property owner's liability on its own for a house?

        I realise that it is normally purchased as part of a buildings insurance policy. However, there are some circumstances where buildings insurance may not seem necessary (e.g. for a house which will soon be demolished,...
        20-01-2022, 10:51 AM
      • Reply to Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
        by ifallelsefails
        You probably want to look at something like renovation insurance, Home Protect offer it with public liability insurance:
        22-01-2022, 22:08 PM
      • Reply to Ensuring Insurance
        by theartfullodger
        None legally, but very very likely the mortgage will require it. Check exact requirements.

        And when does the tenant say they 1st moved in (don;t trust vendor, agent or solicitor..)??
        22-01-2022, 18:52 PM
      • Ensuring Insurance
        by AVJ113
        Looks like I'm going to get my first rental property. I will be getting a BTL mortgage for a small, very cheap house, possibly with a sitting tenant. What minimum insurance do I need legally; what do you advise on top of that, and who is the best provider of such insurance?
        22-01-2022, 18:05 PM
      • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
        by L4NDLORD
        Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter
        15-01-2022, 18:40 PM
      • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
        by Piffy
        I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the...
        11-01-2022, 13:45 PM
      • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
        by Steve Barnes
        I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented...
        10-01-2022, 13:19 PM
      • Protfolio Landlord Insurance
        by MorProp
        Hi all,

        Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

        also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

        how do you deal with emergencies?

        05-01-2022, 09:36 AM