Leak in leasehold apartment - very concerned

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Leak in leasehold apartment - very concerned


    My husband and I have a leasehold one-bed flat which we rent out. It's in a bloc of flats and we pay a hefty service charge and ground rent for it. We are quite inexperience in this, being the first time we rent a property out.

    We have recently heard through the owner of the neighbouring flat that there's a leak from our bathroom into his flat. We've repaired that and decorated the affected area in his apartment. The issue is, the leak seems to have happened for a long time and his floor needs ripping out and replacing too. We thought the leak came from our shower but I suppose we now wonder if it could come from the toilet or elsewhere, or indeed from another flat altogether.

    Whose responsibility is it to pay for this? We are desperate to get it sorted and my husband has already booked a joiner, but shouldn't this be covered through our ground rent/service charge?

    Finally - and please be gentle - we have no buildings insurance. This is because when it was due to be renewed, the company (Churchill) insisted that if we paid service charge,etc, then we couldn't take additional buildings cover. If there was ever to be a claim, Churchill would not cover it as it'd be the building's freehold owner responsibility. I realise I should have perhaps seeked professional advice, but I didn't. Keeping this in mind can you please give me your best advice.


    If your lease doesn't make provision fro insurance, it is defective.

    Normally the freeholder insures the building and recovers the premiums from the leaseholders. YOu should confirm this, by reading your lease, and then ask for details of the insurance and claims process.

    Who is ultimately responsible for the cost or or excess will depend both on the wording of the lease, and on whether there was any negligence involved.

    Did your tenant report when the first symptom appeared?

    Was it reasonable to expect the resident of the flat above to know about it before then?

    Where steps taken, immediately, once they were aware?

    Who would be responsible for paying the costs of repairing general wear and tear, for the items damaged?


      Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Our tenant never noticed the leak until her next door neighbour alerted her to the damage in his property. We have been on board straight away. There's actually not much damage to our property at all, to be honest and since we heard we contacted the maintenance team and so on. Only yesterday, when our next door neighbor lifted some of his laminate floor, it became apparent that the damage was really significant.

      I have just emailed the maintenance team this morning requesting a copy of their buildings insurance and urging them to start the repairs as soon as possible. The damage to his floor is apparently very, very extensive and the situation is hugely concerning.



      Latest Activity


      • Types of insurance
        Is there a difference between Residential propety owners insurance and landlord insurance?

        13-07-2018, 10:07 AM
      • Reply to Types of insurance
        "Landlords Insurance" covers residential or commercial let properties and "Residential Property Owners Insurance" covers any residential property whether owner occupied or let.

        There is an overlap between the two definitions as both cover residential let properties,...
        17-07-2018, 10:24 AM
      • How to work out buildings sum insured on HMO's
        How do you calculate buildings sum insured for HMO's please? and what are the consequences if you get it wrong - particularly if you over estimate?

        13-07-2018, 10:15 AM
      • Reply to How to work out buildings sum insured on HMO's
        I would always suggest a surveyor to give you the sum insured for insurance purposes. The calculator in above post is a good free alternative but must be only gives genrally guidance on rebuilding costs. Consequences of over estimating is that you may be overpaying on insurance premium. Consequences...
        17-07-2018, 10:05 AM
      • Shop with flying freehold Buildings Insurance question

        I have a small shop which is part of a bigger residential building. The residential building extends over the full shop. Can anyone recommend how I would get buildings insurance to protect against anything happening in my shop that may affect the property above or to the side? I know...
        12-07-2018, 19:16 PM
      • Reply to Shop with flying freehold Buildings Insurance question
        Most buildings/contents insurance policies will include Property Owners Liability or Public Liability cover. If you are liable for any damage caused to adjacent properties or injury to third parties, this will provide the necessary cover. As always, check the cover is included and look out for any special...
        17-07-2018, 09:30 AM
      • Insurance admin charges
        Just a quick question if anybody could answer please.

        Are my freeholders allowed to charge an administration fee on top of the already extortionate insurance premium? There is nothing in my lease referring to this.

        I have questioned it and they have quoted they want to be transparent...
        12-07-2018, 11:40 AM
      • Reply to Insurance admin charges
        Yes Gordon999 its exactly the same apart from terrorist cover as my lease specifically states that I don't need to insure for this....
        15-07-2018, 12:55 PM
      • Reply to Insurance admin charges
        Is the quote at 850 pds based on "like for like" insured cover as for the 1750 pds quote ?

        If you have quotes for " EXACTLY the same cover" as insured by freeholder , then you can use as evidence at the FTT ?

        Make an application to the FTT for reducing...
        15-07-2018, 12:45 PM
      • Landlord insurance for leasehold property
        The block is already insured by the management company but it seems like we need landlords insurance but only to cover public liability (if the tenant gets injured at the property and decides to claim) and also the ability to rehouse the tenant if the block suffered any damage and became inhabitable....
        11-07-2018, 10:59 AM