X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bengal
    started a topic How to work out buildings sum insured on HMO's

How to work out buildings sum insured on HMO's

How do you calculate buildings sum insured for HMO's please? and what are the consequences if you get it wrong - particularly if you over estimate?

Thanks

• ashburnham
    replied
    I would always suggest a surveyor to give you the sum insured for insurance purposes. The calculator in above post is a good free alternative but must be only gives genrally guidance on rebuilding costs. Consequences of over estimating is that you may be overpaying on insurance premium. Consequences of under estimating is that you may have a claim payout reduced or even declined.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    This may help you to calculate the value for insuring the property :

https://calculator.bcis.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Moving Costs Building Insurance
    Dorisamelia
    I am a leaseholder and I have suffered 5 water leaks in the period of 6 months from the flat above mine. My property is a large ( 1250 sq.ft.) studio. The management company of the block is also the Freeholder and the leaseholder of the offending flat above. A claim on the block building insurance,...
    09-04-2019, 22:11 PM
  • Reply to Moving Costs Building Insurance
    Dorisamelia
    Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. I am not having much success with the Local Council Private Housing dept. Apparently they only deal with Tenants in privately rented homes and not owner/ occupiers! I could pursue the local Magistrates Court...... but I have just been made aware of...
    19-04-2019, 19:22 PM
    Gordon999
    If you did not receive a summary of the insured cover within 30 days, it becomes a criminal offence and you can report the criminal offence to the Housing Officer at your Local Council for prosecution or file a complaint yourself at your local Magistrates Court ( speak to the Court Manager who...
    12-04-2019, 04:53 AM
    Dorisamelia
    Thank you JKO - Service charge demands are in order; the paperwork is correct. I have written to the management company yesterday and advised them that since the insurance will not pay for moving costs and this expense has not been covered in the quote, I will remain in residence and the builder, during...
    11-04-2019, 10:03 AM
    JK0
    Yeah, sounds fair enough to me.

BTW, how are they demanding service charge, ground rent & insurance monies? Check everything comes with correct paperwork, as this might give you some leverage, if they don't pay up for your losses.
    10-04-2019, 18:09 PM
    Dorisamelia
    I sent a written request by " registered post " for a copy of summary insurance policy just after the last flood. No reply from them! I have damage to my contents but unfortunately no contents insurance. I intend to pursue the matter via the courts and prove negligence. I am trying to get...
    10-04-2019, 11:00 AM
    Gordon999
    Send a written request by "registered post" to request a "summary of insured cover for your building" and you should get the reply within 21 days or 30 days or failing this it becomes a criminal offence.
    09-04-2019, 22:56 PM
    JK0
    Don't you even know the name of the insurer? If you know that, I'd have thought they could inform you of the cover.

Failing that, I'd book into a travel lodge, for the minimum time and then sue freeholder for the cost.

Have you any damaged contents? Have you contents insur...
    09-04-2019, 22:19 PM
  • Leak damage from property above; Does the landlord pay for damage to my property?
    Bassodone
    Hi
    The flat above my flat has had various leaks over the years and I had not seen any damage to my property below. However just recently there was a large leak from their bathroom, which caused water damage to walls, plaster and painting, Quite a lot of water entered the property. It has taken...
    02-04-2019, 20:38 PM
  • Reply to Leak damage from property above; Does the landlord pay for damage to my property?
    Hudson01
    Wow..... seems harsh but it shows the importance of having good and up to date insurance.
    04-04-2019, 19:45 PM
Working...
X