Shop with flying freehold Buildings Insurance question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Shop with flying freehold Buildings Insurance question


    I have a small shop which is part of a bigger residential building. The residential building extends over the full shop. Can anyone recommend how I would get buildings insurance to protect against anything happening in my shop that may affect the property above or to the side? I know about indemnity insurance but this does not cover against anything in my shop causing damage to the adjacent property. I am unable to find anything on Google.

    All help gratefully received.


    Most buildings/contents insurance policies will include Property Owners Liability or Public Liability cover. If you are liable for any damage caused to adjacent properties or injury to third parties, this will provide the necessary cover. As always, check the cover is included and look out for any special terms or exclusions.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 18+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


    Latest Activity


    • Student or Leaseholder??
      I've always had students bar 1 year and insured with the same firm. I pay £800 per year for buildings and contents insurance + accidental damage. Excess is £100; flat's a tenement, 2 bedrooms. The policy was taken out on my behalf by my old letting agent about 20 odd years ago. I'm sure I've told...
      16-08-2018, 18:31 PM
    • Reply to Student or Leaseholder??
      Thanks for the advice. Yes it's a tenanct agreement each year with new tenants each year. The £800 doesn't include renat guarantee insurance, which I get through my letting agent as the dates don't match (insurance due Feb/March and tenants usually in August/September). I did call one of the team last...
      18-08-2018, 08:10 AM
    • Reply to Student or Leaseholder??
      Leaseholder generally means they own the property on a long term lease and are paying you ground rent. I assume this is not the case and you have a "tenancy agreement" in place and therefore the students are tenants.

      I wouldn't rely on what a website says, especially as you have...
      17-08-2018, 08:59 AM
    • Reply to Student or Leaseholder??
      What do they mean by "leaseholder"? It is normally understood to refer to someone with a long lease.
      16-08-2018, 21:25 PM
    • Odd name as policy holder on insurance docs
      Our freeholder buys block insurance for the whole building which we as leaseholders reimburse through our service charge - as is normal. The freehold is owned by a limited company, but the insurance certificate is made in the name of the freehold company owner and a second company. This second company...
      08-08-2018, 16:51 PM
    • Reply to Odd name as policy holder on insurance docs
      Is the second company the managing agent for the block? I would call up the insurance company and directly ask them, that way you will be reassured if all the blocks are covered or not.
      15-08-2018, 22:17 PM
    • Excessive property excess
      Hi can anyone help. I have a top floor maisonettes and there was a leak into the flat below. There is nothing in the lease to say I’m responsible for the excess but I was willing to pay it until I found out it was £2500. Does anyone know if I can challenge this amount with the First Tier tribunal...
      09-08-2018, 17:55 PM
    • Reply to Excessive property excess
      Who has requested the excess, the freeholder, or the flat below? Since the fault is from your apartment, you would need to make good the repairs, do you have your own insurance? You should try and get a couple of quotes for the work and then see if this is less or more than the excess amount - remember...
      15-08-2018, 22:13 PM
    • Reply to Excessive property excess
      I doubt if you can make a challenge at FTT .

      It may be cheaper for you to get a decorator/handyman to make good the decoration in the flat below.
      13-08-2018, 12:46 PM
    • Liable for excess?

      I am currently renting a flat and my tenant had cracked the bath which they repaired with acrylic. confident this was okay she thought no more.

      Overtime the water leaked into the flat below. My Tenant has since replaced the bath but the tenant from downstairs has said...
      03-10-2016, 17:33 PM