Landlord insurance for leasehold property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord insurance for leasehold property

The block is already insured by the management company but it seems like we need landlords insurance but only to cover public liability (if the tenant gets injured at the property and decides to claim) and also the ability to rehouse the tenant if the block suffered any damage and became inhabitable.

Any ideas on where to get just this type of insurance? I have spoken with Direct line but they want to throw in all the extras which we don't need

Thanks

If the MC has insured the building under a "block of flats insurance policy, , the policy should include cover for re-statement of building, public liability , employee liability, damage from water leakage and "alternative accommodation for 2 years" .( which helps to pay the mortgage lender which still requires the monthly payments.).
    I am not so sure if re-housing the tenant is considered a insurable interest for the flat owner.

Comment

I have contents insurance from Directline for my leaseholds. This covers loss of rent, public/landlord liability and a few bits of furniture. Costs about £100 per year per flat.

Comment

thanks for the replies

Comment

I have insurance with The Residential Landlords Association.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to House insurance
            by jpkeates
            The situation is different if the property is empty awaiting a tenant or the landlord to be is currently living there.
            Landlord's insurance wont be valid if the landlord is the occupant.

Only if you plan to move back in during the voids (which would be very unusual).

05-08-2020, 11:18 AM
          • House insurance
            by LMK
            Hi. I am getting my property ready to rent out (my own place which I have been living in). My house insurance is due for renewal about the same time. Do I just buy normal house insurance for.. Maybe a month then cancel it and buy landlord insurance? Or see if they can upgrade it to landlord insurance?...
            05-08-2020, 09:15 AM
            by cuttingman
            I told my landlord insurance I was still waiting for people to rent it out. They said that was fine and started the insurance.

So some follow up questions for the senior members. What do you do during void periods? Cancel the landlord insurance and get residential insurance and then start...
            05-08-2020, 10:31 AM
            by LMK
            Any recommendations for companies for landlord insurance? While I'm here. And I'll see about getting normal house insurance with them then upgrading it when the time comes. Thanks...
            05-08-2020, 10:31 AM
            by ash72
            I wouldn't, in the unfortuante case you need to make a claim while in the transition period, it may invalid the insurance if they decide to check.
            05-08-2020, 09:48 AM
            by LMK
            I thought about just going straight for the landlord insurance but it was asking who it was rented to.. What their situation was etc. And I don't know that yet...
            05-08-2020, 09:46 AM
            by ash72
            while the property is still on a residential basis you should obtain normal house insurance, then once you rent it out you should then get a landlord insurance. It would be better to see if the normal house insurance provider also provides landlords insurance as then the process would be much easier...
            05-08-2020, 09:26 AM
            by hybrice
            Personally I'd just go straight in with landlord's, you'd probably find that the admin charges etc to upgrade you would be more than the premium anyway. Also bear in mind many insurance providers won't let you simply cancel after a month and will want the full term's value as a cancellation fee.
            05-08-2020, 09:24 AM
          • Rent Guarantee Insurance
            by oi2004as
            Hi

I would be interested in your view on the following

I received a renewal Legal & Rent Guarantee Insurance documents from Rentguard (which initiallyy I purchased through Openrent)

There is the following condition in their 'statement of fact':
            "The...
            11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
          • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
            by Delectable1
            Interesting to see posts saying RGI not worthwhile.
            I'm renting out my flat in London so the market is mostly people here to work for a while. Having a UK homeowner guarantor would help but this is the second set who've only been in the country a couple of years and no strong ties other than...
            04-08-2020, 18:19 PM
          Working...
          X