Landlords buildings insurance- what to look for

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlords buildings insurance- what to look for

I need to insure a rental house. It is occupied by a family on an AST,it has a standard 1960s construction. I need to cover against any damage ( fire, water etc), public liability insurance, is there anything else I should be including?
    Are any companies particularly good/ not so good? Thank you.

If the property is let furnished then landlords contents insurance would also be a good idea. Even if it isn't furnished, there is still likely to be a small amount of your contents such as carpets, curtains that you could consider getting cover for. Other things to consider are legal protection cover and rent guarantee cover but these are down to personal preference.

Try the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory for a list of suppliers who can help you.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 18+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Lots of firms are advertisng insurance cover on this LZ website:If you look through the list, you may spot some extra cover .

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/suppl...tory/insurance

Comment

Beware of some ludicrous T&C's -- for example many policies exclude students. You may not think of your 35 year old wife of your tenant doing a PhD as a student, until your claims get declined. Read carefully, and bear in mind that if your tenants change during an insurance period you may be left stranded.

Legal protection cover and rent guarantee insurance are IMHO a total waste of time (or worse).

You really want to avoid over insuring. In practice you are not going to claim for that spoiled carpet -- a large part of the claim would fall within the excess, and the cost of higher premiums will be greater than the value of the claim (and it may increase the premium on all your other properties and your own home policy as well). The point of insurance is to prevent MAJOR financial distress, not to deal with every loss.

Comment

Thank you everyone. In the household only 1 person works, the spouse does not but they have a daughter who is at school. And another whom I understand has left home but comes over to stay regularly. I would need public liability and buildings insurance but can’t really think of anything else I need. I’d say they are unlikely to default.They have been renting the property for about 20 years and so any furnishings that gets damaged are due for replacement anyway.

Comment

You need to insure the house for its re-instatement value and there is a free calculator at BICS website :

https://calculator.bcis.co.uk/

Comment

Terrorism buy back should be purchased as an add on if your policy is of such a size that it is not included and also non invalidation extension

(if your policy is for a "PDH" ie private dwelling house, youll have this inclusively; if a block policy covering multiple risks and potentially more than one landlord entity (ie self and ltd co/LLC) then get your broker to add such extensions to provide truly comprehensive cover....

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                You need to insure the house for its re-instatement value and there is a free calculator at BICS website :

https://calculator.bcis.co.uk/

If you have something unusual, or a block of flats the usual wisdom is that you really ought to get a reinstatement valuation every ten years or so, the cost is surprisingly reasonable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Should the building insurance cover bike theft?
                  Kevin Maschke
                  Hello,

I recently moved into a new flat in a building which has a private courtyard with a bike shed in it. I locked my bike in it.

A couple of weeks ago, two men forced open the courtyard gate, the shed and cut the chains/locks of two bicycles, including mine.
                  I did...
                  20-08-2018, 08:45 AM
                • Reply to Should the building insurance cover bike theft?
                  nukecad
                  Check your bank account, if you are paying a monthly 'fee' then it may include some kind of insurance, which may cover your possessions.
                  20-08-2018, 13:51 PM
                  Kevin Maschke
                  Thanks a lot for the responses. That's what I thought.
                  Shame.
                  20-08-2018, 10:48 AM
                  leaseholder64
                  Blocks of flats policies often have public liability elements as well as building elements, but there would be no liability if all reasonable measures had been taken to secure the area, and I'm not sure if the residents would count as the public.

In the unlikely event that you exceed, expect...
                  20-08-2018, 10:38 AM
                  ashburnham
                  A bike is not part of the building so there would be no cover under a buildings insurance policy. You would need some form of contents insurance to make a claim for theft of a bicycle and it sounds like you unfortunately did not have this cover in place at the time.

If you are suggesting...
                  20-08-2018, 09:10 AM
                • Student or Leaseholder??
                  fixerupper
                  I've always had students bar 1 year and insured with the same firm. I pay £800 per year for buildings and contents insurance + accidental damage. Excess is £100; flat's a tenement, 2 bedrooms. The policy was taken out on my behalf by my old letting agent about 20 odd years ago. I'm sure I've told...
                  16-08-2018, 18:31 PM
                • Reply to Student or Leaseholder??
                  fixerupper
                  Thanks for the advice. Yes it's a tenanct agreement each year with new tenants each year. The £800 doesn't include renat guarantee insurance, which I get through my letting agent as the dates don't match (insurance due Feb/March and tenants usually in August/September). I did call one of the team last...
                  18-08-2018, 08:10 AM
                  ashburnham
                  Leaseholder generally means they own the property on a long term lease and are paying you ground rent. I assume this is not the case and you have a "tenancy agreement" in place and therefore the students are tenants.

I wouldn't rely on what a website says, especially as you have...
                  17-08-2018, 08:59 AM
                  leaseholder64
                  What do they mean by "leaseholder"? It is normally understood to refer to someone with a long lease.
                  16-08-2018, 21:25 PM
                • Odd name as policy holder on insurance docs
                  lostandfound
                  Our freeholder buys block insurance for the whole building which we as leaseholders reimburse through our service charge - as is normal. The freehold is owned by a limited company, but the insurance certificate is made in the name of the freehold company owner and a second company. This second company...
                  08-08-2018, 16:51 PM
                Working...
                X