Landlords buildings insurance- what to look for

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlords buildings insurance- what to look for

    I need to insure a rental house. It is occupied by a family on an AST,it has a standard 1960s construction. I need to cover against any damage ( fire, water etc), public liability insurance, is there anything else I should be including?
    Are any companies particularly good/ not so good? Thank you.

    If the property is let furnished then landlords contents insurance would also be a good idea. Even if it isn't furnished, there is still likely to be a small amount of your contents such as carpets, curtains that you could consider getting cover for. Other things to consider are legal protection cover and rent guarantee cover but these are down to personal preference.

    Try the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory for a list of suppliers who can help you.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


      Lots of firms are advertisng insurance cover on this LZ website:If you look through the list, you may spot some extra cover .


        Beware of some ludicrous T&C's -- for example many policies exclude students. You may not think of your 35 year old wife of your tenant doing a PhD as a student, until your claims get declined. Read carefully, and bear in mind that if your tenants change during an insurance period you may be left stranded.

        Legal protection cover and rent guarantee insurance are IMHO a total waste of time (or worse).

        You really want to avoid over insuring. In practice you are not going to claim for that spoiled carpet -- a large part of the claim would fall within the excess, and the cost of higher premiums will be greater than the value of the claim (and it may increase the premium on all your other properties and your own home policy as well). The point of insurance is to prevent MAJOR financial distress, not to deal with every loss.


          Thank you everyone. In the household only 1 person works, the spouse does not but they have a daughter who is at school. And another whom I understand has left home but comes over to stay regularly. I would need public liability and buildings insurance but can’t really think of anything else I need. I’d say they are unlikely to default.They have been renting the property for about 20 years and so any furnishings that gets damaged are due for replacement anyway.


            You need to insure the house for its re-instatement value and there is a free calculator at BICS website :



              Terrorism buy back should be purchased as an add on if your policy is of such a size that it is not included and also non invalidation extension

              (if your policy is for a "PDH" ie private dwelling house, youll have this inclusively; if a block policy covering multiple risks and potentially more than one landlord entity (ie self and ltd co/LLC) then get your broker to add such extensions to provide truly comprehensive cover....


                Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                You need to insure the house for its re-instatement value and there is a free calculator at BICS website :


                If you have something unusual, or a block of flats the usual wisdom is that you really ought to get a reinstatement valuation every ten years or so, the cost is surprisingly reasonable.


                Latest Activity


                • Insurance question
                  Here is the scenario:
                  Three flats in a building, sharing equally (1/3 each) the cost of building insurance.
                  One of the flats is currently unoccupied because of imminent building work. The building works have been delayed. The insurance is £200 more expensive because of the flat being...
                  23-01-2019, 15:46 PM
                • Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
                  Our insurance on a small block of flats in SW London has just gone up by 50% to just over £1000 pa The reason I was given by the broker is that the existing policy included cover for 'acts of terrorism'. Even a policy without the T cover is 35% up on last year because all 4 flats are now rented out...
                  23-01-2019, 10:26 AM
                • Reply to Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
                  Thanks for that Ashburnham - I did wonder if a nasty experience was the case and not a general rule but the price with 2 others my current broker suggested was significantly higher. Will do as you suggest....
                  23-01-2019, 11:31 AM
                • Reply to Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
                  I am not aware of any increases to that extent with any of our underwriters for landlord property or terrorism cover in the last 12 months. Hopefully this is something isolated to your current insurer who maybe had a bad experience in the last 12 months with something in your postcode area or something...
                  23-01-2019, 11:14 AM
                • Reply to Block of 4 flats insurance gone up 50%
                  Do you have a clause about not causing premiums to increase? If so, enforce that against the sub-letting leaseholders, and get them to cover the additional cost or arrange their own insurance.
                  23-01-2019, 10:51 AM
                • water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?

                  I have read the sticky posts about water leaking downstairs and insurance. I just want to make sure that I am doing this (legally) right as my situation is quite specific:

                  - There was water leaking from the under boards of one of the bedroom flats to the downstairs flat...
                  21-01-2019, 01:45 AM
                • Reply to water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?
                  claims handler
                  Hi Paul

                  as per the advice from a suburban, the onus is on the owner of the flat below to prove that his damage was as a direct result of an act of negligence on you part.

                  however in keeping good relations there is no harm on paying for their repairs or policy excess. just...
                  21-01-2019, 15:45 PM
                • Reply to water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?
                  I think you know the answers, don't you Paul?

                  Legally, no. Morally, yes....
                  21-01-2019, 11:05 AM
                • Reply to water Leaking to downstairs flat - is my thinking correct?
                  First of all, I assume the leak has been rectified to prevent it happening again. Secondly, get your Landlord Insurance sorted ASAP in case something worse happens!

                  In terms of repair to your downstairs neighbour, you are unlikely to be legally negligent and ultimately this is what the...
                  21-01-2019, 09:44 AM
                • Damaged front wall
                  Hello and happy new year to everyone.

                  I was notified in early December by my tenant, that the brick front wall in my front garden was destroyed by my next door neighbour who "accidentally" drove into it...

                  I am going through process of obtaining quotes from builders...
                  08-01-2019, 12:52 PM