Buildings insurance share of freehold - joint policy or individual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buildings insurance share of freehold - joint policy or individual

I own a flat in a house conversion of 6.

I myself have landlords + buildings policy until september, but we need to renew our house buildings policy end of may.

I understand i cant have 2 separate policies for buildings that cover my flat.

Can everyone just get their own buildings insurance and claim apportioned? Or is it imperative that we have a joint buildings policy?

It is recommended to get a joint buildings policy to cover the entire building. You can't rely on others to get their own insurance which would lead to problems if there was a joint claim and one party was uninsured. Even if they are insured, getting two different insurers to liase and share claim costs is also a problem and adds delays and stress. A joint policy is better in everyway apart from organising everyone to agree and pay their proportion. Setting up a management company is a common way of handling this.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 18+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Thank you. We have agreed not to set up a management company now due to the cost, but it is adding complications.

Would I need to cancel my landlords insurance (which seems to include buidlings? I was told by a broker that a whole house policy would include landlords insurance, which I do not want because I am likely to claim more than we would claim on buildings so would prefer my own policy.

Comment

You can still get a joint policy for the entire property without a management company. You will just need to take out a policy with all the freeholders individidually noted as policyholders. Obviously this does mean that if freeholders change then the policy needs to be updated (having a management company negates this as the policy is in the company name). I would still try as much as you can to go down the joint policy route. If this is not possible then you should take out a buildings insurance for just your flat as a final option.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 18+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but what use is taking out your own buildings policy?

If a fire burnt down the whole building, and you were the only 1 of 6 who had a buildings policy, what would your policy payout??? It wouldn't cover the rebuilding of the whole building.

A joint policy is surely the only way?

Comment

The freeholder is the legal owner of the building and should be the "applicant" named on the policy for insuring the entire building.

The leaseholders own a lease and does not have an insurable risk.

So the name of policy holder should be the "freeholder" but you can add a clause in the policy stating "the interests of the Leaseholders and Mortgage Lenders are included with the policy holder."

This will allow other parties to make a claim under the insurance policy.because normally under the insurance policy , a claim can only be made by the policy holder..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X