Neighbour’s insurers are suing me for smoke damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbour’s insurers are suing me for smoke damage

I’ve received a letter from my neighbour’s insurance company who are suing me for smoke damage to their property. The tenants in my property were negligent and left a combustible item on the hob which caused massive fire damage to my property, which is still uninhabitable. The report from the fire service confirms their liability. Needless to say the tenants have since disappeared and I am facing a massive bill from their insurers which I could not possibly pay. I phoned a solicitor for advice and was told I would be liable and would need to chase up the tenants myself for reimbursement. This seems totally wrong to me, surely it is the tenants who are liable not me. They are on benefits anyway so it would be a complete waste of time pursuing this. Any advice would really be appreciated as I am beginning to feel quite desperate in resolving this matter. Thanks.

What a useless solicitor.

Sounds like he thinks tenants are landlords' children. I would write back to insurers asking how you are responsible.

Comment

Thanks I will.

Comment

Are you a house or flat ?

Have you checked the buildings insurance policy to see if it will cover smoke damage ?

Comment

No it does not cover smoke damage. Thanks anyway

Comment

What was the outcome?

Comment

Hallie,

Is the insurer excluding smoke damage or all the fire damage? It sounds as though they are avoiding responsibility due to a material non-disclosure such as "had you told them about the tenants circumstances e.g., that they were on benefit"?

Comment

Doesnt your insurance cover public liability?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Should the building insurance cover bike theft?
                  Kevin Maschke
                  Hello,

I recently moved into a new flat in a building which has a private courtyard with a bike shed in it. I locked my bike in it.

A couple of weeks ago, two men forced open the courtyard gate, the shed and cut the chains/locks of two bicycles, including mine.
                  I did...
                  20-08-2018, 08:45 AM
                • Reply to Should the building insurance cover bike theft?
                  nukecad
                  Check your bank account, if you are paying a monthly 'fee' then it may include some kind of insurance, which may cover your possessions.
                  20-08-2018, 13:51 PM
                  Kevin Maschke
                  Thanks a lot for the responses. That's what I thought.
                  Shame.
                  20-08-2018, 10:48 AM
                  leaseholder64
                  Blocks of flats policies often have public liability elements as well as building elements, but there would be no liability if all reasonable measures had been taken to secure the area, and I'm not sure if the residents would count as the public.

In the unlikely event that you exceed, expect...
                  20-08-2018, 10:38 AM
                  ashburnham
                  A bike is not part of the building so there would be no cover under a buildings insurance policy. You would need some form of contents insurance to make a claim for theft of a bicycle and it sounds like you unfortunately did not have this cover in place at the time.

If you are suggesting...
                  20-08-2018, 09:10 AM
                • Student or Leaseholder??
                  fixerupper
                  I've always had students bar 1 year and insured with the same firm. I pay £800 per year for buildings and contents insurance + accidental damage. Excess is £100; flat's a tenement, 2 bedrooms. The policy was taken out on my behalf by my old letting agent about 20 odd years ago. I'm sure I've told...
                  16-08-2018, 18:31 PM
                • Reply to Student or Leaseholder??
                  fixerupper
                  Thanks for the advice. Yes it's a tenanct agreement each year with new tenants each year. The £800 doesn't include renat guarantee insurance, which I get through my letting agent as the dates don't match (insurance due Feb/March and tenants usually in August/September). I did call one of the team last...
                  18-08-2018, 08:10 AM
                  ashburnham
                  Leaseholder generally means they own the property on a long term lease and are paying you ground rent. I assume this is not the case and you have a "tenancy agreement" in place and therefore the students are tenants.

I wouldn't rely on what a website says, especially as you have...
                  17-08-2018, 08:59 AM
                  leaseholder64
                  What do they mean by "leaseholder"? It is normally understood to refer to someone with a long lease.
                  16-08-2018, 21:25 PM
                • Odd name as policy holder on insurance docs
                  lostandfound
                  Our freeholder buys block insurance for the whole building which we as leaseholders reimburse through our service charge - as is normal. The freehold is owned by a limited company, but the insurance certificate is made in the name of the freehold company owner and a second company. This second company...
                  08-08-2018, 16:51 PM
                Working...
                X