Leak Trace my responsibility? Not covered on insurance because "no damage"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak Trace my responsibility? Not covered on insurance because "no damage"?

My hot water cylinder header tank float valve wasn't working properly, and subsequently water was overflowing into the overflow pipe which we discovered itself also had a problem.

The flat downstairs was getting water ingress from 'somewhere', no-one could figure out where. A plumber was called in by the Management company, but he actually failed to find the cause of the problem. The Management company then sent their own surveyor in, and he discovered the problem. It seems that the overflow pipe which comes from the hot water header tank has a crack in it, as even though water was overflowing into it, it wasn't coming out the end, but leaking into the concrete floor under which it is buried. It is a plastic pipe, and the general consensus of opinion is that at some point in time, there has been movement which has either cracked the pipe or broken a join, or something... whatever the cause, it leaks somewhere under the floor. I wasn't aware of the problem with the float valve as of course, there was no visible overflow I could see.

I organised and paid a plumber to come and fix the source of the overflow (my float valve) which of course stopped the flow, and the water ingress.

I was told by the surveyor at the time, that tracing a leak is covered under the buildings insurance, and if the pipe needed changing, it would only be the cost of the pipe I would be liable for, a few quid for a few metres of plastic pipe and any building work etc (i.e digging up my floor to replace the pipe) would be covered.

I have now received a bill from the Management company for the initial call-out by the plumber to trace the leak (which as mentioned he didn't find). I queried this, and have been told that I am liable because there was no damage to the flat downstairs and subsequently no insurance claim can be made.

The overflow pipe runs through a structural concrete floor over which I have no control, but it is a solitary pipe that services my flat alone. My Lease states I am not responsible for structural floors, only mentioning vertical walls (which I presume would cover re-plastering etc?). As the damage can only really have occurred through movement of the building, or floor, or could have even been down to poor workmanship at the time of installation, can I be held liable for the costs incurred as a result of the failed pipe?

Another point that concerns me, is that is the building under insured? If the plumber had put in a bill for £1000 instead of £100, then I would be put in a very difficult financial position.

Whilst I fully agree and accept that the overflow was my problem, is the water ingress as the pipe is completely out of my control (as opposed to visible pipes in the property).

Now, ordinarily I would just pay up out of courtesy and goodwill, as clearly the problem stemmed from my flat, but the Management company are just awful to deal with. Rude, don't answer queries, I was almost accused of lying over something which was no more than a misunderstanding and they seem to forget that they are employed by the Residents Association who pay for their services, not the other way round! Another story, I won't start on that one...

So, am I undoubtedly (and without question) liable for the cost of the initial plumber because there was no damage to the flat below, so no claim can be made, or is this a grey area and the management company are simply expecting me to cough up without questioning my liability? Or should the cost of the plumber be equally spread across the service charges the residents pay?

They want everything to be above board and correct, and so do I. It's only fair and proper.

Thank you in advance.

I think you have correctly come to the same view as me that it is down to you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Comericial building claim
      desamax
      Hi we own a ground floor lock up shop in a muilti used building with 6 private leased flats above. We pay 40% of the building insurance to the superior landlord as well a service and maintenance charges. We have an ongoing claim for water ingress from various areas and have paid 4 excess in this respect....
      26-10-2017, 11:44 AM
    • Reply to Comericial building claim
      desamax
      Thanks,
      It just says admin fee for fire regulations. That they called the fire brigade who put an enforcement notice on the ceiling. Shot themselves in the foot, because if it’s not done in 28 days the 6 flats will have to be evacuated. Just shocked to get the bill. I have asked for full details...
      23-02-2018, 19:13 PM
    • Liability
      Woodylovesbuzz
      Hi, (asking for my brother)
      hid tenants have damaged their neighbours wall of their property and have yet to repair it fully. The owners of the property next door have asked him for his insurance details. Does he have to give them his details as they now want to claim off his insurance?
      23-02-2018, 13:24 PM
    • Reply to Liability
      AndrewDod
      I am not sure I agree here that it is not grey:

Example 1: Tenant vandalises neigbours car on the street - clearly landlord is not responsible.

Example 2: Tenant blasts a hole through the living room wall into the next property. Here I think there is a hierarchy of responsibility....
      23-02-2018, 18:36 PM
      AndrewDod
      This should be joined with your other thread on the identical incident. Are you sure the "fee" is not for stuff that FH is not obliged to insure (your other thread). Else I cannot see how they can charge you.

Why not ask them (in writing etc. as usual)?
      23-02-2018, 17:36 PM
      desamax
      Hi Andrew i own a ground floor shop on 999yr lease, it was a claim from a leaseholder in a flat above, causing damage to the ceiling from faulty plumbing, faulty shower pump, and leaking service pipes making the ceiling a fire hazard. The claim has been settled. The LL was making a claim against the...
      23-02-2018, 16:31 PM
    • Reply to Liability
      jpkeates
      No, he doesn't have to give them his insurance details.

He's not liable for something his tenants did.
      He doesn't even have to have insurance (although he'd be mad not to).
      23-02-2018, 14:23 PM
    • Neighbour’s insurers are suing me for smoke damage
      Hallie
      I’ve received a letter from my neighbour’s insurance company who are suing me for smoke damage to their property. The tenants in my property were negligent and left a combustible item on the hob which caused massive fire damage to my property, which is still uninhabitable. The report from the...
      19-02-2018, 20:17 PM
    • Reply to Neighbour’s insurers are suing me for smoke damage
      Hallie
      No it does not cover smoke damage. Thanks anyway
      23-02-2018, 12:12 PM
    • The upstairs apartment has flooded my own for a second time
      MissJ
      I've owned my apartment for 16 years and let it out for the last 12 years. The upstairs apartment was bought and renovated 2 years ago. Whilst fitting a kitchen the upstairs the owners father cut into a mains pipe. It devastated my apartment but we were covered by the building insurance.

19-02-2018, 13:17 PM
    Working...
    X