House insurance lessee responsibility

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    House insurance lessee responsibility

    I recently bought a downstairs leasehold flat. It is a block of 8 flats, four along and 2 stories.The lease states that the leaseholder is responsible for ensuring the flat that has been insured and if this is not adequately done then the freeholder has the right to take out insurance and then charge the leaseholder. They can require that I let them have my insurance policy details. My solicitor says this practice is becoming more common. Initially I took out insurance whilst the flat was empty whilst I undertook work and then reported a change to the insurance company when the tenant moved in. The insurance company at this point initially said that the freeholder should insure the property and cancelled the insurance but then reinstated it when I was able to let them know that the freeholder definitely did not have insurance. They warned me that if anyone else in the building (7 other flats) has either insured the whole building (double insurance) or under-insured this will invalidate my insurance. The agent acting on behalf of the freeholder will only confirm they do not take out insurance for the building. I have no idea what the arrangements with the other 7 flats are and have no idea who the leaseholders are (if indeed they are leaseholders). Can I require the the freeholder confirms that all the other flats in the building are adequately insured and would they be liable if other parties have not adequately insured their flats? Many thanks

    There is no such thing as the insurance described (for the building). Please let us know the exact wording of the lease.

    It sounds to be a defective lease that is not possible to implement. May be worth FTT submission to determine how lessees are supposed to comply and to change the lease.

    You solicitor is talking rubbish about "says this practice is becoming more common".


      Under the leasehold system, the freeholder is the legal owner of the building whilst the leaseholders own a long term rental agreement called a lease. From the insurance company's point of view, the building must be insured by the property owner. Leaseholders don't own the building and do not have an insurable interest.

      I agree with Andrew , your solicitor is talking rubbish.


        Hi Guys, many thanks for your responses and sorry for delay in responding. I have been away. Can I ask what FTT is? (sorry, new to this) and I have scanned a copy of the lease, clause m, that I have but my photocopy misses out the words on one edge. If this is not okay I will have to try and get a copy of the actual document from my solicitor. Sorry it appears that the scanned copy is far too big to attach. I will need to type it out myself in Word and send it to you soon, thanks


          Hi Guys I have photographed the 2 pages over which clause m extends and it seems that the system will take it in this format. Let me know if it is sufficiently clear for you to assess, thanks Andrew
          Attached Files


            First Tier Tribunal

            I would definitely take it to them. You can probably do it without legal assistance and with some studying.

            I cannot see how a lease can oblige 8 individual lessees to insure their part of a building. That is simply not generally possible or feasible (although you could each individually insure the entire block of 8). You must have given wrong information to the insurer to get the insurance in the first place.

            Your solicitor should not have advised you that "this practice is becoming more common" but should have advised you not to purchase the lease at all.


              Many thanks for your response and I will follow this up with the FTT


                Inside the Lease , the Agreement should cover the following items:

                the front section should state :

                the property address ,
                the name of lessor and lessee(s),
                the term of the lease ( 99 years or 125 years etc) and commencing date ,
                the ground rent payable and the subsequent increases ,
                the lessee contribution to service charge account and buildings insurance.

                The second section covers : Lessor and lessees make covenants to each other.

                This section are covenants made by the Lessor and
                This section are covenants made by the lessee..

                The last section should cover disposal of Lease title and the charges payable for registration of legal notices etc by the lessee.

                The building belongs to Lessor so the Lessor has an insurable interest and legal responsibility for inuring the building and making claims under the insurance policy.if the building burns down to the ground.

                The lessee owns a lease and cannot claim against insurance if the lease burns down.

                The leaseholders should set up RTM to claim the landlord's right to insure the building. .


                  Again, thanks for your help on all this, really appreciated


                  Latest Activity


                  • Landlord admin fee
                    Hi just completed an insurance claim for water escape into my shop. The landlord has Sent us a admin fee invoicefor nearly 2k. Non of the ingress was our fault hence the building insurance co agreed to settle. Would the landlord be justified in issuing this to us?
                    22-02-2018, 15:55 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord admin fee
                    It just says admin fee for fire regulations. That they called the fire brigade who put an enforcement notice on the ceiling. Shot themselves in the foot, because if it’s not done in 28 days the 6 flats will have to be evacuated. Just shocked to get the bill. I have asked for full details...
                    23-02-2018, 19:13 PM
                  • Liability
                    Hi, (asking for my brother)
                    hid tenants have damaged their neighbours wall of their property and have yet to repair it fully. The owners of the property next door have asked him for his insurance details. Does he have to give them his details as they now want to claim off his insurance?
                    23-02-2018, 13:24 PM
                  • Reply to Liability
                    I am not sure I agree here that it is not grey:

                    Example 1: Tenant vandalises neigbours car on the street - clearly landlord is not responsible.

                    Example 2: Tenant blasts a hole through the living room wall into the next property. Here I think there is a hierarchy of responsibility....
                    23-02-2018, 18:36 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord admin fee
                    This should be joined with your other thread on the identical incident. Are you sure the "fee" is not for stuff that FH is not obliged to insure (your other thread). Else I cannot see how they can charge you.

                    Why not ask them (in writing etc. as usual)?
                    23-02-2018, 17:36 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord admin fee
                    Hi Andrew i own a ground floor shop on 999yr lease, it was a claim from a leaseholder in a flat above, causing damage to the ceiling from faulty plumbing, faulty shower pump, and leaking service pipes making the ceiling a fire hazard. The claim has been settled. The LL was making a claim against the...
                    23-02-2018, 16:31 PM
                  • Reply to Liability
                    No, he doesn't have to give them his insurance details.

                    He's not liable for something his tenants did.
                    He doesn't even have to have insurance (although he'd be mad not to).
                    23-02-2018, 14:23 PM
                  • Neighbour’s insurers are suing me for smoke damage
                    I’ve received a letter from my neighbour’s insurance company who are suing me for smoke damage to their property. The tenants in my property were negligent and left a combustible item on the hob which caused massive fire damage to my property, which is still uninhabitable. The report from the...
                    19-02-2018, 20:17 PM
                  • Reply to Neighbour’s insurers are suing me for smoke damage
                    No it does not cover smoke damage. Thanks anyway
                    23-02-2018, 12:12 PM
                  • The upstairs apartment has flooded my own for a second time
                    I've owned my apartment for 16 years and let it out for the last 12 years. The upstairs apartment was bought and renovated 2 years ago. Whilst fitting a kitchen the upstairs the owners father cut into a mains pipe. It devastated my apartment but we were covered by the building insurance.

                    19-02-2018, 13:17 PM