Outbuildings insurance issues.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Outbuildings insurance issues.

    Good day to you all, I really hope someone can help me. I have a property that I rent out, with landlords insurance in place. I also have a garage close to the property that I do not rent out I use it for my own storage purposes .
    ​​​​​​How I am finding it very difficult to get any contents cover for it. Because I don't live at the house .
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

    Contents cover is for the occupant of the house / garage to purchase.

    As you do not live there, you wont have any contents to insure.
    Tenants get house contents insurance.
    Tenants should get contents insurance for the garage, but that wont cover a car.

    A garage not within thee grounds of the property will be difficult to get insurance for.


      Getting buildings insurance for the garage should be possible under the existing landlord insurance. We have had this several times and while some of our insurers shy away from it, others don't have an problem as long as the house and garage are on the same title deeds.

      Contents insurance is a bit trickier though. You would need to look at your own home insurance policy for this and for a section about contents away from the home. There is a chance that you will be able to get the cover you need here but be careful as this is like leaving contents in storage as such and a lot of insurers are not fans of this.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details


      Latest Activity