Outbuildings insurance issues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outbuildings insurance issues.

Good day to you all, I really hope someone can help me. I have a property that I rent out, with landlords insurance in place. I also have a garage close to the property that I do not rent out I use it for my own storage purposes .
    ​​​​​​How I am finding it very difficult to get any contents cover for it. Because I don't live at the house .
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Contents cover is for the occupant of the house / garage to purchase.

As you do not live there, you wont have any contents to insure.
    Tenants get house contents insurance.
    Tenants should get contents insurance for the garage, but that wont cover a car.

A garage not within thee grounds of the property will be difficult to get insurance for.

Comment

Getting buildings insurance for the garage should be possible under the existing landlord insurance. We have had this several times and while some of our insurers shy away from it, others don't have an problem as long as the house and garage are on the same title deeds.

Contents insurance is a bit trickier though. You would need to look at your own home insurance policy for this and for a section about contents away from the home. There is a chance that you will be able to get the cover you need here but be careful as this is like leaving contents in storage as such and a lot of insurers are not fans of this.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 18+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Student or Leaseholder??
        fixerupper
        I've always had students bar 1 year and insured with the same firm. I pay £800 per year for buildings and contents insurance + accidental damage. Excess is £100; flat's a tenement, 2 bedrooms. The policy was taken out on my behalf by my old letting agent about 20 odd years ago. I'm sure I've told...
        16-08-2018, 18:31 PM
      • Reply to Student or Leaseholder??
        fixerupper
        Thanks for the advice. Yes it's a tenanct agreement each year with new tenants each year. The £800 doesn't include renat guarantee insurance, which I get through my letting agent as the dates don't match (insurance due Feb/March and tenants usually in August/September). I did call one of the team last...
        18-08-2018, 08:10 AM
        ashburnham
        Leaseholder generally means they own the property on a long term lease and are paying you ground rent. I assume this is not the case and you have a "tenancy agreement" in place and therefore the students are tenants.

I wouldn't rely on what a website says, especially as you have...
        17-08-2018, 08:59 AM
        leaseholder64
        What do they mean by "leaseholder"? It is normally understood to refer to someone with a long lease.
        16-08-2018, 21:25 PM
      • Odd name as policy holder on insurance docs
        lostandfound
        Our freeholder buys block insurance for the whole building which we as leaseholders reimburse through our service charge - as is normal. The freehold is owned by a limited company, but the insurance certificate is made in the name of the freehold company owner and a second company. This second company...
        08-08-2018, 16:51 PM
      • Reply to Odd name as policy holder on insurance docs
        ash72
        Is the second company the managing agent for the block? I would call up the insurance company and directly ask them, that way you will be reassured if all the blocks are covered or not.
        15-08-2018, 22:17 PM
      • Excessive property excess
        Hannah9999
        Hi can anyone help. I have a top floor maisonettes and there was a leak into the flat below. There is nothing in the lease to say I’m responsible for the excess but I was willing to pay it until I found out it was £2500. Does anyone know if I can challenge this amount with the First Tier tribunal...
        09-08-2018, 17:55 PM
      • Reply to Excessive property excess
        ash72
        Who has requested the excess, the freeholder, or the flat below? Since the fault is from your apartment, you would need to make good the repairs, do you have your own insurance? You should try and get a couple of quotes for the work and then see if this is less or more than the excess amount - remember...
        15-08-2018, 22:13 PM
      • Reply to Excessive property excess
        Gordon999
        I doubt if you can make a challenge at FTT .

It may be cheaper for you to get a decorator/handyman to make good the decoration in the flat below.
        13-08-2018, 12:46 PM
      • Liable for excess?
        kevla1973
        HI

I am currently renting a flat and my tenant had cracked the bath which they repaired with acrylic. confident this was okay she thought no more.

Overtime the water leaked into the flat below. My Tenant has since replaced the bath but the tenant from downstairs has said...
        03-10-2016, 17:33 PM
      Working...
      X