Outbuildings insurance issues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outbuildings insurance issues.

Good day to you all, I really hope someone can help me. I have a property that I rent out, with landlords insurance in place. I also have a garage close to the property that I do not rent out I use it for my own storage purposes .
    ​​​​​​How I am finding it very difficult to get any contents cover for it. Because I don't live at the house .
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Contents cover is for the occupant of the house / garage to purchase.

As you do not live there, you wont have any contents to insure.
    Tenants get house contents insurance.
    Tenants should get contents insurance for the garage, but that wont cover a car.

A garage not within thee grounds of the property will be difficult to get insurance for.

Comment

Getting buildings insurance for the garage should be possible under the existing landlord insurance. We have had this several times and while some of our insurers shy away from it, others don't have an problem as long as the house and garage are on the same title deeds.

Contents insurance is a bit trickier though. You would need to look at your own home insurance policy for this and for a section about contents away from the home. There is a chance that you will be able to get the cover you need here but be careful as this is like leaving contents in storage as such and a lot of insurers are not fans of this.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Comericial building claim
        desamax
        Hi we own a ground floor lock up shop in a muilti used building with 6 private leased flats above. We pay 40% of the building insurance to the superior landlord as well a service and maintenance charges. We have an ongoing claim for water ingress from various areas and have paid 4 excess in this respect....
        26-10-2017, 11:44 AM
      • Reply to Comericial building claim
        desamax
        Thanks,
        It just says admin fee for fire regulations. That they called the fire brigade who put an enforcement notice on the ceiling. Shot themselves in the foot, because if it’s not done in 28 days the 6 flats will have to be evacuated. Just shocked to get the bill. I have asked for full details...
        23-02-2018, 19:13 PM
      • Liability
        Woodylovesbuzz
        Hi, (asking for my brother)
        hid tenants have damaged their neighbours wall of their property and have yet to repair it fully. The owners of the property next door have asked him for his insurance details. Does he have to give them his details as they now want to claim off his insurance?
        23-02-2018, 13:24 PM
      • Reply to Liability
        AndrewDod
        I am not sure I agree here that it is not grey:

Example 1: Tenant vandalises neigbours car on the street - clearly landlord is not responsible.

Example 2: Tenant blasts a hole through the living room wall into the next property. Here I think there is a hierarchy of responsibility....
        23-02-2018, 18:36 PM
        AndrewDod
        This should be joined with your other thread on the identical incident. Are you sure the "fee" is not for stuff that FH is not obliged to insure (your other thread). Else I cannot see how they can charge you.

Why not ask them (in writing etc. as usual)?
        23-02-2018, 17:36 PM
        desamax
        Hi Andrew i own a ground floor shop on 999yr lease, it was a claim from a leaseholder in a flat above, causing damage to the ceiling from faulty plumbing, faulty shower pump, and leaking service pipes making the ceiling a fire hazard. The claim has been settled. The LL was making a claim against the...
        23-02-2018, 16:31 PM
      • Reply to Liability
        jpkeates
        No, he doesn't have to give them his insurance details.

He's not liable for something his tenants did.
        He doesn't even have to have insurance (although he'd be mad not to).
        23-02-2018, 14:23 PM
      • Neighbour’s insurers are suing me for smoke damage
        Hallie
        I’ve received a letter from my neighbour’s insurance company who are suing me for smoke damage to their property. The tenants in my property were negligent and left a combustible item on the hob which caused massive fire damage to my property, which is still uninhabitable. The report from the...
        19-02-2018, 20:17 PM
      • Reply to Neighbour’s insurers are suing me for smoke damage
        Hallie
        No it does not cover smoke damage. Thanks anyway
        23-02-2018, 12:12 PM
      • The upstairs apartment has flooded my own for a second time
        MissJ
        I've owned my apartment for 16 years and let it out for the last 12 years. The upstairs apartment was bought and renovated 2 years ago. Whilst fitting a kitchen the upstairs the owners father cut into a mains pipe. It devastated my apartment but we were covered by the building insurance.

19-02-2018, 13:17 PM
      Working...
      X