Outbuildings insurance issues.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Outbuildings insurance issues.

    Good day to you all, I really hope someone can help me. I have a property that I rent out, with landlords insurance in place. I also have a garage close to the property that I do not rent out I use it for my own storage purposes .
    ​​​​​​How I am finding it very difficult to get any contents cover for it. Because I don't live at the house .
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

    Contents cover is for the occupant of the house / garage to purchase.

    As you do not live there, you wont have any contents to insure.
    Tenants get house contents insurance.
    Tenants should get contents insurance for the garage, but that wont cover a car.

    A garage not within thee grounds of the property will be difficult to get insurance for.


      Getting buildings insurance for the garage should be possible under the existing landlord insurance. We have had this several times and while some of our insurers shy away from it, others don't have an problem as long as the house and garage are on the same title deeds.

      Contents insurance is a bit trickier though. You would need to look at your own home insurance policy for this and for a section about contents away from the home. There is a chance that you will be able to get the cover you need here but be careful as this is like leaving contents in storage as such and a lot of insurers are not fans of this.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 18+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details


      Latest Activity


      • Landlord insurance for leasehold property
        The block is already insured by the management company but it seems like we need landlords insurance but only to cover public liability (if the tenant gets injured at the property and decides to claim) and also the ability to rehouse the tenant if the block suffered any damage and became inhabitable....
        11-07-2018, 10:59 AM
      • Reply to Landlord insurance for leasehold property
        thanks for the replies
        19-07-2018, 11:12 AM
      • Types of insurance
        Is there a difference between Residential propety owners insurance and landlord insurance?

        13-07-2018, 10:07 AM
      • Reply to Types of insurance
        "Landlords Insurance" covers residential or commercial let properties and "Residential Property Owners Insurance" covers any residential property whether owner occupied or let.

        There is an overlap between the two definitions as both cover residential let properties,...
        17-07-2018, 10:24 AM
      • How to work out buildings sum insured on HMO's
        How do you calculate buildings sum insured for HMO's please? and what are the consequences if you get it wrong - particularly if you over estimate?

        13-07-2018, 10:15 AM
      • Reply to How to work out buildings sum insured on HMO's
        I would always suggest a surveyor to give you the sum insured for insurance purposes. The calculator in above post is a good free alternative but must be only gives genrally guidance on rebuilding costs. Consequences of over estimating is that you may be overpaying on insurance premium. Consequences...
        17-07-2018, 10:05 AM
      • Shop with flying freehold Buildings Insurance question

        I have a small shop which is part of a bigger residential building. The residential building extends over the full shop. Can anyone recommend how I would get buildings insurance to protect against anything happening in my shop that may affect the property above or to the side? I know...
        12-07-2018, 19:16 PM
      • Reply to Shop with flying freehold Buildings Insurance question
        Most buildings/contents insurance policies will include Property Owners Liability or Public Liability cover. If you are liable for any damage caused to adjacent properties or injury to third parties, this will provide the necessary cover. As always, check the cover is included and look out for any special...
        17-07-2018, 09:30 AM
      • Insurance admin charges
        Just a quick question if anybody could answer please.

        Are my freeholders allowed to charge an administration fee on top of the already extortionate insurance premium? There is nothing in my lease referring to this.

        I have questioned it and they have quoted they want to be transparent...
        12-07-2018, 11:40 AM
      • Reply to Insurance admin charges
        Yes Gordon999 its exactly the same apart from terrorist cover as my lease specifically states that I don't need to insure for this....
        15-07-2018, 12:55 PM