Advice needed r.e. building and contents insurance

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Advice needed r.e. building and contents insurance

    Hi everyone, I hang my head in shame this morning because I hadn't looked at my insurance premium for a long time but received info regarding it's renewal as of next month, the new total being £590.00! Rising £85 in comparison to last year. The amendments to the contract also show quite a few changes which mean a reduction in cover!
    So, apart from the obvious "check your renewal docs each year" advice (I know I'm a dafty!) can anyone offer any advice as to where's best for buildings and contents insurance, ideally cheaper than £600 for one 4 bed mid terraced furnished house. I've been looking online and just don't know where to start, there's so many bloomin options it's bamboozling!
    Many, many thanks in advance :-)

    I just renewed with Direct LIne for £125 for buildings & contents. (Aviva wanted £225.)
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.


      I've used Discount Insurance to find LL insurance for many years. They always find me reasonable quotes and the cover seems good but that will only be proved if I ever have to claim.

      And on renewals, even though their auto renewal docs show a substantial hike in premium for no reason, they will almost always match last year's quote or come very close to it if I call and negotiate this. It's a buyers' market so shop around but beware of startlingly low premiums as that could indicate the cover is actually pants.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
        by ifallelsefails
        I've looked at unoccupied insurance a lot and I found that the most comprehensive insurer and least burdensome out there was from Alan Blunden Insurance Brokers (they run the "ABACUS" system which allows other insurance brokers to insure through them too).
        You can go to Cover4LetProperty...
        22-01-2022, 22:27 PM
      • Unoccupied Property Insurance
        by Marcus Read
        Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft)...
        24-12-2021, 10:56 AM
      • Reply to Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
        by ifallelsefails
        You probably want to look at something like renovation insurance, Home Protect offer it with public liability insurance:
        22-01-2022, 22:08 PM
      • Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
        by JamesHopeful
        Is it possible to obtain property owner's liability on its own for a house?

        I realise that it is normally purchased as part of a buildings insurance policy. However, there are some circumstances where buildings insurance may not seem necessary (e.g. for a house which will soon be demolished,...
        20-01-2022, 10:51 AM
      • Reply to Ensuring Insurance
        by theartfullodger
        None legally, but very very likely the mortgage will require it. Check exact requirements.

        And when does the tenant say they 1st moved in (don;t trust vendor, agent or solicitor..)??
        22-01-2022, 18:52 PM
      • Ensuring Insurance
        by AVJ113
        Looks like I'm going to get my first rental property. I will be getting a BTL mortgage for a small, very cheap house, possibly with a sitting tenant. What minimum insurance do I need legally; what do you advise on top of that, and who is the best provider of such insurance?
        22-01-2022, 18:05 PM
      • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
        by L4NDLORD
        Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter
        15-01-2022, 18:40 PM
      • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
        by Piffy
        I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the...
        11-01-2022, 13:45 PM
      • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
        by Steve Barnes
        I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented...
        10-01-2022, 13:19 PM
      • Protfolio Landlord Insurance
        by MorProp
        Hi all,

        Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

        also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

        how do you deal with emergencies?

        05-01-2022, 09:36 AM