Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.

I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

The council are useless and gave no help.

My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs person be held liable for my increased insurance costs?

The Freeholder is missing too....

What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
      I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

The council are useless and gave no help.

My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs person be held liable for my increased insurance costs?

The Freeholder is missing too....
      I have same experience with 4 leaks in less than a year. My ceiling is very damaged. Insurance rose 7% even with the first settled claim which is now reoppened. There are 2 more to settle. The issue is to compare the legal cost and time of suing someone with the compansation you get and the chances you might win. In my case we put the flat for sale because water leak is big nuisance and holds back our work. If you sue the person and s/he uses the same communal entrance and has possible direct contact daily you might have to consider a serious issue.
      "I'll be back."

Comment

>> What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
        The landlord upstairs is a slippery character. My solicitor wrote a letter and it cost £300.

I thought the insurance companies would do that between themselves.

I phoned one insurance company for a quote. They could not understand why the water leak had been claimed on my insurance, rather the one upstairs. The repair costs is around £13,000, so under my name. It was the insurance instructed their own people.

I feel shafted by the insurance company. My insurance premiums have double and they are not including escape of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post

I thought the insurance companies would do that between themselves.
          They probably did!

Just you gave them an excuse to put your premium up by claiming.

Comment

This is a lot of damage. Does the policy schedule say you can claim on water leaks into your flay? Mine says so. My insurance is forecasted to double next year too. This year was up 7% because of a very small claim in the past year but next year there are 3 more to settle. I guess insurers take account of their cost of administration and loss adjusters. If you lose a case when litigating you pay the costs of the other side which you don't know how much they will be . On the other hand if you put insurance claims you also increase the premium. Hard to compare the costs when you don't know them yet.
            "I'll be back."

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

They probably did!

Just you gave them an excuse to put your premium up by claiming.
              Quite so. Insurance puts up costs when there are claims. The choice is which course of action is less costly and more sure to sue someone for damages or claim from insurance. Some times the damage is far below a thousand and you do not intend to stay long in your flat and at other times the damage is quite large .
              "I'll be back."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X