Any recommendations for boiler cover

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any recommendations for boiler cover

    I had a bad experience this past year with 24/7 home rescue, where they ripped me off when my boiler broke down. This was because my boiler is quite old and they deemed it beyond economical repair. I was looking into Homeserve policies as i have had good experience with their plumbing cover, but it seems they too have a BER clause.

    Can anyone recommend any other companies for boiler cover?

  • #2
    British Gas are good but pricey.


    • #3
      Thanks. Funnily enough, i hadn't thought about BG! Will look into it.


      • #4
        British Gas are good and reliable but very pricey. When my old 30 year old boiler broke down 10 years ago they could not find parts so I had to replace with a modern. The new boiler is much more economical in fuel but will last 10 to 15 years they tell me.
        "I'll be back."


        • #5
          We had BG fit our new boiler but will never allow any of their servicing engineers to look at it again. The first service the engineer turned up, said it couldn't be serviced as it had been boxed in... I epxlained that the cover slid foward, had no upward movement,. He said he couldn't do that without seeing the user manual... which they didn't leave me when it was fitted... as he would have to condemn it if he couldn't refit the panel. I told him it slid forward, he said (in a realy patronising manner) that no they ALL WITHOUT EXCEPTION lift up and the boxing prevented this. I told him I, a weak and feeble female, had fitted the boxing myself and so I was certain the boiler cover simply slid forward!

          I took the cover off for him in the end - after all it simply slides forward!

          He spent 10 minutes pfaffing at it and left. We took out insurance cover that included Homeserve and, on their first service, the engineer called me to look at 2 small plastic discs that covered 2 small holes. These, he explained, were part of the emission (or similar) testing... the fact that they were covered meant the boiler could not have been fully tested since it left the factory!

          So I complained to BG again (I did so as their engineer left as he hadn't filled me wth any confidence) and I got the usual reply - none whatsoever!

          I suspect they all have their issues and that we are doomed to cycle thropugh them, waiting to be displeased, hoping to find one that works for us


          Latest Activity


          • Insurance For Property While Doing Work Before Letting?
            I’m due to complete on a property this Friday, that I bought with my savings, so no mortgage. I live with my Mum currently and am going to move in once I take possession as there’s quite a bit of cosmetic work that needs doing and I’d rather it was occupied while I set it up to let.
            19-09-2017, 09:14 AM
          • Reply to Insurance For Property While Doing Work Before Letting?
            the broker I use does not charge a fee if you change the policy from, say, empty/residential to LL as long as you do it through them. They also give me one month at the occupied rate to see if I can get a tenant in as long as it is advertised for let as soon as I take possession.

            PM me...
            19-09-2017, 17:08 PM
          • Reply to Insurance For Property While Doing Work Before Letting?
            Your best option is probably to stay living at home while you do the work. You can do this under an Unoccupied Property policy - which is designed for short-terms. Otherwise, it really will be a case of taking Home Insurance for a short period, cancelling and then taking Landlord cover when the work...
            19-09-2017, 10:34 AM
          • Forced entry
            Call from tenant this afternoon. Police forced entry into his home yesterday under the impression (given by his family and friends) that it was likely a medical emergency.
            They tried to access by drilling out the patio doors at the back, but drill bit broke in lock rendering lock unusable from...
            17-09-2017, 15:56 PM
          • Reply to Forced entry
            I wonder if T's family would have been so quick to get the police to kick down the door if it was T's own property?

            I bet they thought: 'Silly old sod of a landlord is bound to be insured. Let's crack on!'

            FTA: I wonder if O/P does claim on insurance, the insurers actually...
            18-09-2017, 19:32 PM
          • Reply to Forced entry
            Let's say the tenants friends and family broke in, caused damage, broke fixtures and fittings etc.

            Would you
            A. Repair the damage, replace any broken items and make a kind request to the tenant to contribute?
            B. Tell the tenant to fix the damage caused on his watch?
            18-09-2017, 18:41 PM
          • Reply to Forced entry
            If your tenant did not live there, the damage would not have happened.

            You cannot be responsible for the health of your tenants. That is their concern.
            You cannot be responsible for his family or friends knocking down your door due to a health concern.

            The Whole family
            18-09-2017, 12:25 PM
          • Reply to Forced entry
            Because he is the current resident of the property and responsible for what happens while he lives there.

            If they moved out today, you would claim the damage you found from their deposit.

            He can try claiming the costs from his over concerned family (although the police are...
            18-09-2017, 09:05 AM
          • Reply to Forced entry
            I remember saying that once and then afterwards thinking, so why have I paid premiums for 20 years if I never intended to claim... duh!...
            18-09-2017, 08:59 AM
          • Reply to Forced entry
            I would ask the family to pay something at least. If they don't I would consider eviction as you can't have this happening again. It may be incidental anyway if you have already contacted insurers, you may find your premium rising even if you don't make a claim.
            18-09-2017, 08:36 AM