This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unacceptable forum responses

I have seen too many posts in recent months where people have been quite aggressive / dismissive / rude to new posters. Now while I don’t expect all replies to be wrapped up in cotton wool, I don’t accept posts from anyone which are offensive, even if intended as ‘a bit of a laugh’. Typically such comments, even if intended in jest, are seen by the OP as an attack, in forums such as these humour may often not come across as expected.

I have also received repeated ‘reported post’ messages commenting on the responses of two or three of our longer term members, these ‘reported post’ messages have been made by a variety of people. The action I have taken has generally been to simply edit the thread, but I don’t plan to continue that way.

In future I may well use the infraction option, something which I personally feel is a ‘slap on the wrist’ and I really don’t like the idea of using that option, however it is detailed in the forum rules that this is the method to be used in extreme cases that lead to a ban. I will in future issue infractions without any warning if I see replies that I consider to be going too far, in lesser cases I will contact the member(s) involved and simply point to this post in the hope that they get the message.

I would advise anyone who thinks this is a little Draconian to revisit the forum rules, these were updated a few years ago following some discussion with forum regulars and include lines specifically related to how new members (and members in general) should be treated.

So, blunt and to the point if expressed respectfully is generally OK, rude and offensive posts are never OK. It is entirely within the control of forum members to avoid all of the above, and in a few cases all that is needed is for individuals to consider the way their posts will be read and tone down their responses a little. I don’t want these forums to be seen as unwelcoming and aggressive to anyone, which is the direction some recent responses will drive the forums.

Regards,

Andy
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Are we talking about window cleaning here?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I have no idea what you mean by that?

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
        I have no idea what you mean by that?
        That's alright, then! (There was a thread recently by a new poster trying to argue that cleaning the windows at the end of a tenancy was the LL's responsibility as it came under the heading of 'maintaining' them. He got short shrift as people - perhaps rightly - concluded he was a bit of a troll).
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

No, that’s not it. The issue is the growing number of ‘Reported Post’ and Private Messages that I have received in the last couple of months complaining about the responses from a couple of members, complaints both from new members and regulars. The issue is typically down to an over-aggressive take on some side detail, an offensive assessment of the OP without any foundation, or attempts to be funny/sarcastic at the expense of the OP. This often leads to an exchange of comments that are completely unnecessary leading to one or both members becoming offensive and acting like children, then I have to try to edit a thread without destroying the context, and send ‘please grow up’ messages. You are all adults, as a moderator I should be largely silent apart from the daily ‘Two related threads have been merged’ messages, I should not have to slap wrists.

We have forum rules that apply to this which I have not needed to consider applying until recently, and since PMs to various people seem to have little effect then the situation is heading to the Infraction / Ban route. But as I say this is easily avoided by the people concerned, just tone down the replies, leave the attempts at humour out, and consider the forum rules and guidelines. What I will not allow is a small number of members turning the forums into an unwelcoming place, and if I think a couple of permanent bans is necessary to avoid that then so be it.

Comment

Do you mean me Andy? I can't recall receiving any PM's about my conduct, but I do like to poke fun sometimes. Usually I do it via the Take a Break unintentional humour thread, though the other day I know I did suggest to someone that Karma had come back to bite him. I did seem to be the only one who thought that.

Comment

No JK0, I certainly don’t mean you.

I should perhaps add that no-one is on my ‘hit list’, I don’t have one, and I don’t want to be banning anyone. So while I may have a couple of people in mind, my purpose here is to send a general message which hopefully those people will consider, without me having to single them out. Those people make a genuine positive contribution to the forums, but on occasions will cross the line and cause unnecessary difficulties.

Comment

Curiouser and curiouser.

Comment

I think I have had a post deleted - but not received any message or other warning.
                  I can access the post in my profile, but it's not visible in the forum.

Obviously sorry if I have broken the rules, but the post wasn't intended to be aggressive, dismissive or rude.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
                    So while I may have a couple of people in mind, my purpose here is to send a general message which hopefully those people will consider, without me having to single them out. Those people make a genuine positive contribution to the forums, but on occasions will cross the line and cause unnecessary difficulties.
                    So are these individuals already aware of who they are (ie, you've specifically PM'ed about their behaviour?)

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                      I think I have had a post deleted - but not received any message or other warning.
                      I can access the post in my profile, but it's not visible in the forum.

Obviously sorry if I have broken the rules, but the post wasn't intended to be aggressive, dismissive or rude.
                      OK Its back - maybe just a glitch in the matrix...
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                        So are these individuals already aware of who they are (ie, you've specifically PM'ed about their behaviour?)
                        I have sent PMs to the individuals over recent months, but not since posting this thread. The intention is that what I have posted here applies from this point forward, and there should be no need to me to spell out to people who it is that needs to reign-in their responses, what I have posted is for the consideration of everyone. I'm pretty sure that the people involved will know who they are, and I'm giving them a chance to think about how they post in future so that there's no need for me to contact them again.

Comment

I'm a very infrequent poster here, but in the recent long lease thread I received some rather aggresive attacking from two members. When one of them started a related thread I was pounced on yet again. (How to deal with damage caused in blocks with a frequent (BtL) tenant turn-over.)
                          You try to ignore the stupid remarks but what should be a proper discussion simply gets destroyed.

Comment

That was not a complaint about the individuals but an observation that it's so easy for posters to drop into attack mode particularly if they feel their own long held views are being challenged. The result is a thread of little use to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Granger View Post
                              I'm a very infrequent poster here, but in the recent long lease thread I received some rather aggresive attacking from two members. When one of them started a related thread I was pounced on yet again. (How to deal with damage caused in blocks with a frequent (BtL) tenant turn-over.)
                              You try to ignore the stupid remarks but what should be a proper discussion simply gets destroyed.
                              When your thread is conceived to attack a minority, (in this case on BTL flat owners), then really you should be expecting vigorous responses. A thicker skin is perhaps required.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Issue with site
                                EssCee
                                Whenever i add a hyperlink to my messages the messages are sent empty. I have tried this on a PC browser, phone browser (Chrome and Edge) and all have the same issue. No error message returned or asn't indication of what i could be doing wrong.

Please could someone advise as this was working...
                                16-05-2018, 12:46 PM
                              • Reply to Issue with site
                                nukecad
                                That's a good offer by moderator2.

Personally, where I moderate I also have email notification of moderated posts turned off.
                                There are just too many, which would swamp your email inbox.

I do check everyday there by logging into the moderator control panel and looking...
                                18-05-2018, 03:27 AM
                                Moderator2
                                If people see a message that their post has been sent for moderation then please send me a PM and I will then receive an email notification. I do not receive notifications of moderated posts automatically, and would not want to since many moderated posts really are spam. Remember that the action to...
                                17-05-2018, 12:31 PM
                                EssCee
                                I've used and written systems to detect spam, it is possible to make systems user friendly without compromising the security model. Though no system is 100% secure there is a level of tolerance
                                17-05-2018, 10:06 AM
                                leaseholder64
                                It would also allow spammers to take appropriate measures and amend accordingly.
                                17-05-2018, 08:59 AM
                                EssCee
                                Strangely late yesterday, it's working fine. I completely understand that strictness and security required however giving reasons why it occurs in the first place would allow genuine users to amend accordingly and take appropriate measures.
                                17-05-2018, 07:28 AM
                                nukecad
                                Moderation can be - should be - even stricter on PM's than on public posts.

Again I won't go into it because I don't want to give any amateurs ideas, but there are very good reasons why this should be.

PS. I just had a post moderated, like I say happens to us all.
                                17-05-2018, 06:25 AM
                                EssCee
                                No not with forum threads. I've come across this issue when sending a personal message....
                                16-05-2018, 13:11 PM
                                nukecad
                                Do you mean that when you add a link the post is accepted when you 'Post Reply' but is not shown on the forum?

If yes, then it has been sent by the automatic anti-spam filters for moderation (approval by a moderator) before it will be shown.
                                It happens to us all now and again, and...
                                16-05-2018, 13:04 PM
                              • N5B. Claim for Possession - do I need to do a gas safety certificate?
                                Angela20
                                I have one property. The12 month tenancy expires next week and the tenant is refusing to move out. He has not paid rent for 3 months. I have served a section 21 and am now starting the accelerated possession process. The gas safety check/certificate is due for renewal next week. Do I still have...
                                16-03-2018, 15:37 PM
                              Working...
                              X