Chrome browser problem with Landlordzone, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emwithme
    replied
    THANKS JOE!

Leave a comment:

• Moderator2
    replied
    Originally posted by emwithme View Post
    Thanks LLZ Techies
    It was Joe, forum Admin, he's put a lot of effort into resolving this issue.

Leave a comment:

• emwithme
    replied
    Seems to be working for me too...I've been away for a couple of days, so have been catching up this morning - so far have read about 20 threads, none of them have "trampolined" and in all cases the "take me to first unread post in this thread" button is working too!

Thanks LLZ Techies

Leave a comment:

• Hippogriff
    replied
    Seems good, for me. Tested with this thread... went into it, pressed CTRL-END to get to the bottom and it didn't jump back to the top.

Leave a comment:

• Moderator2
    replied
    For those having issues with Chrome / LLZ please try again. The forum Admin have advised me that the issue relates to an update of Chrome and the way it handles iFrames.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    I don't particularly think that this is a Chrome bug either.

It is much more likley to be a vBulletin issue.

There have been some reports of strange behaviour with VB forums and certain browsers for the last few years.

e.g.
    Icons go missing from the 'quick reply' box with some (older) versions of IE.
    Scrollbars don't work, IE and Chrome.
    Toolbar buttons become unresponsive, various browsers.

And it dosen't happen to everybody, seems to also depend on your particular cpu, video card, etc. and what other software you have installed.
    Some people report that it only affects them at certain times of day; which may tie in with broadband speed.

Because the issues are so variable it's hard to be sure just what is causing them, even the guys at vBulletin are struggling to track it down.

One thing that has been noticed is that it only seems to affect forums that have both the desktop and the mobile versions of VB running.
    So it seems to be a clash between the two versions somewhere?

I know none of that is much help if you are having the problems, but thought it worth mentioning.

Leave a comment:

• Hippogriff
    replied
    P.S. - when I first experienced this and did not know it was affecting others, I did some searching myself. I did see a few Google forum threads about Chrome jumping to the top of pages on loading and they did go back a few years. Generally they conclude in a recommendation to clear the browser cache, which I of course did, but it did not change anything. There was also another recommendation out there to remove any Chrome Extensions, which I looked at but, as I didn't have any Extensions installed, I could not do.

The Admin response that this is a Chrome bug is a red herring.

I will re-iterate, hoping it helps, that Chrome and this forum have been working fine together for many years (for me). It is only recently that only LandlordZone has been experiencing this behaviour... not other sites.

Leave a comment:

• Hippogriff
    replied
    9 times! 9 frikkin' times I pressed CTRL-END on this page to get to the latest thread entry and 8 times it jumped back to the top! That's with me realising it will do this and leaving a second or so between each time I mashed CTRL-END together.

I can confirm that I have never had Chrome auto-updating. I can promise you that. I was running on quite an old version and I don't even have the GoogleUpdater.exe running. I only updated to the current version of Chrome because of this issue arising. I thought I'd give it a shot and took the chance to do a bit of updating. So I stand by the claim that's nothing changed at my end until I got frustrated by the jumping and I updated Chrome consciously.

I believe, as was said before, that it's exactly to do with adverts loading at the top of the screen. However, what's changed to make this happen now and not before (for years)?

Leave a comment:

• emwithme
    replied
    I also agree with Hippo. Am also using Chrome v 43.0.2357.130 m -(and the issue definitely pre-dated the update) running the Ad Block Pro extension (I downloaded adblock because of the auto-shouty ad on this - and one other - site). I HATE auto-speaky ads with a passion. Running ABP hasn't changed anything. I'm also on Fibre Broadband running at 25 MBPS download and 9.5 MBPS upload, so it's not a speed thing either.

I am *NOT* downloading Firefox. I have IE downloaded (because how else am I going to download Chrome...sorry, because it came as standard and I can't be bothered to go all techy and remove it) but I really don't like the Firefox interface (Mr Emwithme uses it and I just can't get on with it). I am not downloading a browser to just view one site - no matter how good that site is!

I'm mostly annoyed by the fact that if I press "go to first new post on this thread" it doesn't. It goes (via a trampoline) to the top of the page, which is *really* annoying, and defeats the purpose of the button!

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    You may be right but I am fed up with posting whilst jumping on a trampoline...

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    This suggests that it may be your Chrome browsers that are being slow loading the adverts.
    I you could try an Ad-Blocker to see if that makes a difference, there are plenty out there.
    I've already tried it with and without ad-blocking, and it makes no difference at all.
    (as an aside - since that ghastly advert(s) that kept playing audio-visual stuff has gone, I've left adblocker off here - since adverts are what pay for my use of this site, it seems reasonable to permit them to be displayed providing they are not overly intrusive.)

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    I agree with Hippo - nothing has changed my end yet this problem suddenly appeared - don't have it with any other sites....and I also agree it is reallly really annoying!
    To be fair though, if you have Chrome set to auto update, then your version of it will have been updated recently, which would mean something has indeed changed at your end. Chrome is now up to version 43.0.2357.130 m (ie it updates a lot); I can see my last update was on 20 June (though that's a long time after this problem started).

My guess is that it's some weird clash between Chrome and LandlordZone. Has anybody actually experienced the problem anywhere else? If so, a URL posted here might be of some use?

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    I agree with Hippo - nothing has changed my end yet this problem suddenly appeared - don't have it with any other sites....and I also agree it is reallly really annoying!

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    I don't use chrome, I use Firefox but I did notice this issue on a few forums, including this one, about a month ago.

I worked out what was causing it.

At the time there was a bit of a problem at our (rural) telephone exchange and the broadband connection went very slow.

This meant that the adverts at the side of the page (12 graphic ADs on this page alone) were slow to load.

Every time one finished loading the screen would jump back to the top of the page until they had all finished loading, which is just what is being described by others here.

Forums with less or no Ads did not show the problem.

Once the broadband speed came back up the problem dissapeared again.

This suggests that it may be your Chrome browsers that are being slow loading the adverts.
    I you could try an Ad-Blocker to see if that makes a difference, there are plenty out there.

Or of course switch to one of the other browsers.

Leave a comment:

• Hippogriff
    replied
    It really is becoming a proper issue... I am sure I'm getting angry because of it. I contribute quite a lot here and it's driving me insane.

It's not a "browser bug", though, is it?

I've been using Chrome for many years and the forum has always been fine. Something's changed at the forum side, not at the browser side, something in the last few weeks or month or so. Suggesting another browser is not really the answer. Go through the changes that have been made at the forum side and figure out which of those introduced this issue with Chrome, then pull it. All will be well again. Other sites that I frequent do not behave this way, with Chrome.

Leave a comment:

• Moderator2
    replied
    From the forum Admin;

I have noticed that the Chrome Auto-Scroll bug people are reporting is becoming a real issue for members. From what I can see it is first and foremost a bug with the Chrome browser that causes this behavior on certain sites where a series of conditions are present - a quick google shows may people reporting these issues with Chrome all the way back to 2009.

I am actively looking for a solution or fix that I could implement that may counteract the browser bug but it's not easy and could take some time. The forums look like they work pretty well on firefox browser, so for those who simply must have a fix right now I think firefox browser is the answer.

If you happen upon any conversations about this topic then please share the information above.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X