why old posts ignored

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why old posts ignored

The search facility was used to find out previous advice (to avoid asking the same question). A reply was made to an old post, but bizarrely, the reply (yesterday) was deleted.

Why?

Many of the forums are quite fluid, especially the ‘Residential Lettings Questions’ forum in which you replied to a thread where the last post prior to your reply was made in January 2009. The ‘Residential Lettings’ forum index page fills easily within a day meaning that there are many people with pressing issues that they would like to get resolved. So replying to a three year old thread pushes those more pressing issues further down the page. Once a post reaches page two or three of the index page, the chances of further replies are dramatically reduced.

Also, issues posted in a thread that is three years old are likely to be resolved by now and unless the OP is a regular member they are unlikely to log in and see the reply, you can see from a member’s profile when they were last active on the forum.

So, while an answer to an old thread may be of some use, I don’t feel that offsets the effects of pushing newer threads down the forum index page.

Many other forums, especially technical forums automatically lock and archive threads older than a few months, they can still be read and linked to, but can’t be posted in.
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Would you be so kind to re-publish my post as a new topic; the post has new questions!

The policy is discriminating in favour of new posts seems strange, it encourages posting of new posts when the preference should be to encourage readers to search and read previous posts, because useful historical information/guidance exists in old posts.

Just because an old post is (assumed) closed, the content may still be relevant and it should not be assumed that the original poster is obliged to reply.

Comment

Done, it’s here;

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...tenant-arrears

There is no specific discriminating policy, I assess each situation individually. What I saw (though could have missunderstood in this case) is what looked more like comment than question, in which case comments applied to threads that are three years old may not be particularly useful and as I have said will have the effect of pushing more recent threads down the forum list.

I agree that old posts are there to be searched for and commented on, but my preferred method would be as we have now in this situation, a new thread, that refers to the old thread, but with new questions. The only problem with that is I am not sure if new members can add links to old posts if their post count is low?
        I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Overzealous spam control
          KTC
          Wrote a post response with a link to an old thread within this forum and posted fine. Realised I linked to the thread rather than the specific post, so edited and corrected the link by removing the existing and reinserting the correct link. So still just the one link, and it's a link to another forum...
          15-01-2018, 23:21 PM
        • Post flagged as spam
          Bluebull
          Hi,

I'm a new member and have only made 1 post. It was a question about how to draw up a contract with a property investor however it's been flagged as spam. I'm not selling anything I'm just trying to get some advice.

Can somebody take a look?

Thanks.
          10-01-2018, 19:42 PM
        • Reply to Post flagged as spam
          Bluebull
          Please delete this thread, I've reworded my original enquiry as some people were mistaking it as some kind of public offer. It wasn't.
          11-01-2018, 00:03 AM
          leaseholder64
          It had a distinct scam signature to me, as well.
          10-01-2018, 21:54 PM
          AndrewDod
          I could read it via my RSS reader. It looks like the initiation of spam/scam to me (offering investors a 30% return in your "highly lucrative nature" investment). If you can offer investors that sort of return you can afford to hire a lawyer to draw up your contract....
          10-01-2018, 20:51 PM
        • Where has my question gone?
          Patparkes
          Hi all
          I posted for the first time yesterday and edited my post at which point a message came up to say that it had to be checked for spam or along those lines.

do the first few posts need to be checked by a moderator?

thanks
          05-01-2018, 08:56 AM
        • Reply to Where has my question gone?
          Moderator2
          JK0, I see your unapproved thread in TAB, but it contains no text, perhaps a result of your edits. I can't see any point in approving it now, and that may not even work given that there's no text to it, so I suggest you try re-posting.
          05-01-2018, 20:40 PM
          JK0
          Thanks Moy. That's what I get too....
          05-01-2018, 16:03 PM
          Moy
          Jko, I can see the post title but if I click on it I get a forum message saying I do not have permission to view..
          05-01-2018, 15:50 PM
          AndrewDod
          Happened to me too - no links but I included a few bad words about Scottish folk being Xenophobic. It later appeared in full.

JK0 I can see your post on my feed, but not online (yet). It is a great post anyway -- anotjher great example of how legislators and those implementing legislation...
          05-01-2018, 15:03 PM
        Working...
        X