This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please use 'Reply' instead of 'Quote'.

Is there any chance that people could start using the ‘Reply’ button instead of the ‘Quote’ button only my mouse wheel is wearing out from all the needless scrolling? You should only need to quote where could be ambiguity to your reply otherwise. Surely this must make the forum bandwidth rocket?
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

My bandwidth isn't rocketing anywhere at present! Perhaps life would be more exciting if it did.

(Simple answer : don't use your mouse wheel. Click on the scroll bar on the right of the screen and move it down to where you want to be).
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I naturally use the mouse wheel. The threads go over multiple pages way too quickly sometimes, especially where the problem is a life story. Bandwidth-wise it must double up on what would otherwise be needed which can be expensive for a heavily used forum, or can mean that the access becomes slow or non existent at busy times. Having said that I’ve seen no comments from forum admin so maybe they don’t care. I’m just trying to stop the wheel falling off my mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
        Is there any chance that people could start using the ‘Reply’ button instead of the ‘Quote’ button
        I dunno, it's horses for courses really: me, I get irritated by posts where people have used 'reply' rather than 'quote' and you haven't got a clue what they're referring to. And the more so since the moderators have developed the rather irritating habit of merging threads on what they perceive to be related topics...

Comment

Replying without clearly indicating what you are replying to is careless. But I see too many cases where an entire post is quoted, several paragraphs long without any need at all, especially where the quote is the second post in the thread.

Comment

Perhaps some people don't realise that you can edit the text within the quote area, i.e. delete all text except that to which you intend to refer.
            Mrs Jones
            I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

I think most people do realise that since many clearly do edit. I just see entire posts quoted, sometimes with just a few lines of comment, and clearly the quote was not needed. I definitely see no need to quote the entire first post of a thread in the second post. It seems to me that the person who has quoted has simply hit the ‘quote’ button because it’s conveniently close.

It’s just a simple request I’m making, I am not attempting to back-seat moderate the forum.

Comment

I think most people do realise that since many clearly do edit. I just see entire posts quoted, sometimes with just a few lines of comment, and clearly the quote was not needed. I definitely see no need to quote the entire first post of a thread in the second post. It seems to me that the person who has quoted has simply hit the ‘quote’ button because it’s conveniently close.

It’s just a simple request I’m making, I am not attempting to back-seat moderate the forum.
                A good point for all forum users. Oops- I've quoted your post (but it does need bearing in mind, to avoid sprawl).
                Don't like your typeface, though!
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Sorry, I cut and paste from Word with the default typeface Times New Roman, is Arial (2) better?

Comment

[FONT=Arial]I cut and paste from Word FONT]
                    Why don't you just type straight into the reply box?
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I use Word for its spelling and grammar check, and I can copy, cut, and paste far more easily with Word. Also when posting from Work, as I am right now, it looks like I’m working

Comment

A thread requesting the use of ‘Reply’ instead of ‘Quote’ turns into a quote-athon

Comment

Is there any chance that people could start using the ‘Reply’ button instead of the ‘Quote’ button only my mouse wheel is wearing out from all the needless scrolling? You should only need to quote where could be ambiguity to your reply otherwise. Surely this must make the forum bandwidth rocket?
                          Not sure!

What does the quote button do again?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAgent View Post
                            Not sure!

What does the quote button do again?
                            It reproduces the whole of the post to which you are moved to respond, at the top of the box into which you then write a response. Then, whatever profound thoughts you produce in reply (like mine, wot I am writing here), appear underneath the quoted post when your answer is submitted and appears on t'forum.

Try it. You'll like it.

Comment

Thread moved from RESIDENTIAL LETTINGS.
                              The more lighthearted comments are on a separate TAKE A BREAK version. See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=20218.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X