Suggestion: new Forum on Debt Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion: new Forum on Debt Recovery

I thought this being such an important issue to Landlords, it would make a lot of sense to have a forum dedicated to Debt Recovery in addition to the ones already provided here.

How about it?

Originally posted by Perplexed View Post
    I thought this being such an important issue to Landlords, it would make a lot of sense to have a forum dedicated to Debt Recovery in addition to the ones already provided here.

How about it?
    Is there really enough traffic to warrant it? Does it not fall squarely within Residential Lettings?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      Is there really enough traffic to warrant it? Does it not fall squarely within Residential Lettings?
      As I go along I find more and more instances where I have to sue people (and companies) because they either fail to pay, or they help themselves to monies they were not entitled to (I probably don't need to tell you that although the latter falls squarely under the Fraud Act 2006, the police invariably wash their hands of it, saying it is a civil matter) or have been negligent, etc. etc.

So it's not just between landlords and tenants, it's also between landlords and tradesmen, letting agents, referencing agencies, even sollicitors (I know, shocking, but there you are) and so on... The list is virtually endless.

In fact, it was the realisation that there are so many different situations where a landlord has to recover a debt, and the fact that I am going through three debt recvovery claims right now, that made me realise that, like it or not, debt recovery is a fact of life for most landlords. Hence my conclusion that it would make sense to have a dedicated forum on debt recovery.

I wonder what other landlords think?

Comment

For that matter, Res. Lettings could be fractured into:
        a. references for new T;
        b. deposit protection;
        c. granting tenancies;
        d. disputes on T moving in;
        e. disputes on T moving out;
        f. disputes when T won't move out;
        g. disputes when L refuses to perform obligations;
        h. etc etc.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

a. references for new T;
          b. deposit protection;
          c. granting tenancies;
          h. etc etc.

This is not about 'fracturing' but, if anyting, 'grouping.'

And as I say, debt recovery does not only occur between landlords and tenants.

I think too many landlords are failing to get back what is owed to them because they are afraid to use the system or they don't know how to.

Comment

a. references for new T;
            b. deposit protection;
            c. granting tenancies;
            h. etc etc.
            Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooh!!!!!!!!There's enough chopping things up already on this forum.

Nothing involving the lives of human beings can ever be satisfactorily divided up and pigeonholed like this. Life is raggy. It has overlaps. One sort of dispute is often linked to another sort. It is often confusing and unhelpful to separate different but related aspects of a problem. In order to give useful info/advice, the counsellor needs to see the Big Picture, as fully as possible.

A better, nore user-friendly FAQs section, now that is where we could be directing our energies....
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Er, I didn't say that I wanted more fora! I agree that there's quite enough already. If it were up to me, I'd merge Finance and Tax for a start.
              But, yes, FAQs is where all new members/enquirers ought to have to start- and no posting threads until they have tried that!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X