Time limits for reading new posts/editing existing posts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time limits for reading new posts/editing existing posts

Quite often, when I am browsing through LLZ, I have to break off what I'm doing in order to deal with something else in another window. If I'm more than a few minutes then, when I come back, I find all the up-dated threads have been marked as 'read'. This is so since the new servers were put online. Is there any way to stop this happening please?
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Originally posted by jta View Post
    Quite often, when I am browsing through LLZ, I have to break off what I'm doing in order to deal with something else in another window. If I'm more than a few minutes then, when I come back, I find all the up-dated threads have been marked as 'read'. This is so since the new servers were put online. Is there any way to stop this happening please?
    It happens even if one's not even started to browse. I think that it's solely time-linked. A similar problem affects attempts to amend one's own post after over about twenty minutes from tme of posting.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      It happens even if one's not even started to browse. I think that it's solely time-linked. A similar problem affects attempts to amend one's own post after over about twenty minutes from tme of posting.
      I can understand the limit on editing Jeffrey, It could make subsequent post's look daft. I can't see a reason for the other limit though.

Comment

I can understand the limit on editing Jeffrey, It could make subsequent post's look daft. I can't see a reason for the other limit though.
        OK, that makes sense. So let it be that members can edit own posts by:
        a. any amendments (until next member's post arrives on the thread); or
        b. merely typographical corrections (no time limit).
        AND let LZ make an automatic footnote (non-discretionary, even if no 'Reason for editing' is supplied) re date/time of amendment/correction.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

That sounds a good compromise to me as well!

Comment

I have e-mailed (to Editor) a link to this thread, so that he might consider and comment upon it.

Comment

Any chance of a response to this, Editor?

Comment

OK, I've changed the forum settings so that your unread posts should be more accurate now. Let us know in this thread if you notice the improvement.

As for the editing of posts and allowing for spelling and grammar corrections, but not full post edits, it's not possible. There's no way to set up an automatic system that can distinguish between the two (as far as I'm aware), so the editing rules will stay the same.

Comment

So what are new settings, please? How long is allowed for a member to edit/delete after posting?

Comment

Also:
                    a. Forum User Guide posts aren't visible on the "New Posts" display; and
                    b. pre-today threads all appear bold (as if containing still-unread posts) with this rubric:
                    The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.;

Comment

There's no change to the time allowed for a member to edit their posts, that's still 60 minutes.

The change made today should make your unread posts more accurate. Before today, if you were inactive for 15 minutes, the system automatically marked all threads/posts as read. It now only marks a thread as read once you've actually read it (as far as I understand).

The change may have distrupted your usual methods of reading for a short while, but should eventually become useful to you. If it's a pain, we can change the setting back in a week or so.

Comment

Hi Will
                        since you made the change this morning, every single post on my screen shows as 'unread' on all forums!
                        I re-booted but it made no difference.

Comment

every single post on my screen shows as 'unread' on all forums!
                          You need to click the "Mark Forums Read" button, that is at the bottom of the Forum front page, just above the site stats.

Comment

I thought that Mark 'Forums' Read was a top person at LZ.

Comment

Hi Will
                              since you made the change this morning, every single post on my screen shows as 'unread' on all forums!
                              I re-booted but it made no difference.
                              If you mark all forums as read (http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hp?do=markread), then from this point your unread posts should become more accurate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                                Gordonmrln
                                I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                                20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                MrShed
                                What date does the eon debt stem from? Is it from the entire time since you left the property or more recently?
                                20-07-2017, 22:14 PM
                              • Forum Update feedback
                                nukecad
                                I just thought I would note a couple of issues with todays forum update here:
                                • Where has the 'Mark all posts read'/'Mark Forums Read' button gone? (I don't want to have open every thread to remove it from the unread list).
                                • Clicking on the 'Go to first new post' next to a thread title is not working
                                12-07-2017, 14:53 PM
                              • Reply to Forum Update feedback
                                nukecad
                                Well that would tie in with your new Avatar/Profile picture....
                                20-07-2017, 00:39 AM
                                ram
                                I think i disabled my age, so I would not show up as old as yours shows..[/SIZE]...
                                19-07-2017, 18:11 PM
                                theartfullodger
                                Thanks RAM, that's it!

Profile has my age as 1017!...
                                19-07-2017, 16:36 PM
                                tatemono
                                if I view it on an iPad Pro and start selecting text with arrow keys in a quoted reply it jumps me to the bottom/top of the page. I've given up reading on it for now as it's driving me nuts....
                                19-07-2017, 09:19 AM
                                nukecad
                                Cheers, I'm sure many will find that useful.

I hate it when a software update moves things about in the User Interface, for no good reason other than 'it's a new look for a new version'.
                                18-07-2017, 14:03 PM
                                ram
                                list of threads I started.... Found it !

Go to my profile, click on to "About"
                                and at the bottom of your profile is LINKS ( last one in the white background )

There you find

Find all posts
                                Find all started topics
                                Find all blog
                                18-07-2017, 06:34 AM
                                nukecad
                                Simpler way to see your own posts (all your posts not just the ones that you started)-
                                Click on your own username in the panel on the left of any post.
                                (Works with other users as well).

If it is then showing all posts made by you and your 'friends' there is a 'Filter' option,...
                                18-07-2017, 00:53 AM
                              Working...
                              X