This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread titles -protocol

These are standard LZ protocol rules for titling threads.
    They should be adopted by members posting new threads.
    Infractions may lead to LZ re-titling a thread more appropriately.

- Appropriate Forum should be selected. Consider which Forum most covers the thread's subject matter. In particular, do NOT simply select "Residential Letting Questions" as a default; and do NOT use "Forum User Guide" unless the thread relates to technical or generic matters.
    - Title should be specific. Members/guests using search buttons need to know the thread's subject matter. Many use the Archive button and scroll down old thread titles, so clarity is important.
    - Title should be concise, however. There are recommended lengths. The box for entering new thread title is about 50 characters (including spaces and punctuation). The title as it appears on visible listing is about 28 characters (ditto). A longer title is therefore not fully visible.

Originally posted by Moderator View Post
    These are standard LZ protocol rules for titling threads.
    They should be adopted by members posting new threads.
    Infractions may lead to LZ re-titling a thread more appropriately.

- Appropriate Forum should be selected. Consider which Forum most covers the thread's subject matter. In particular, do NOT simply select "Residential Letting Questions" as a default; and do NOT use "Forum User Guide" unless the thread relates to technical or generic matters.
    - Title should be specific. Members/guests using search buttons need to know the thread's subject matter. Many use the Archive button and scroll down old thread titles, so clarity is important.
    - Title should be concise, however. There are recommended lengths. The box for entering new thread title is about 50 characters (including spaces and punctuation). The title as it appears on visible listing is about 28 characters (ditto). A longer title is therefore not fully visible.

As a footnote to this, do not show a meaningless Thread Title, such as "Another question". That helps no-one know what you're asking.
    The Title must summarise the nature of your question's subject matter, so that anyone seeing the Title alone can decide whether:
    - it's relevant (if the person seeing it is also seeking an answer);
    - it's of interest (if the person seeing it may be able to provide an answer).

Comment

Some members are still ignoring (or unaware of) LZ's protocol concerning thread titles. Non-compliance entitles LZ to re-title threads. In the last few days, unhelpful thread titles such as 'Help please' have been used.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Best way to search forums
        by kennyj52
        I've been using the forums for a couple of years now and have always found them interesting and informative as well as often very helpful. I usually search for answers to my questions in existing threads, however there doesn't appear to be a quick and easy way of doing this, so I end up scanning through...
        01-05-2020, 12:11 PM
      • Reply to Best way to search forums
        by Moderator2
        Please avoid posting in threads more than 6 months old, and even then post only if you have something of significant value to add. Old threads can contain legally out of date advice.
        03-05-2020, 12:15 PM
      • Reply to Best way to search forums
        by jpkeates
        Use google.
        [list of search terms] site:forums.landlordzone.co.uk
        01-05-2020, 12:38 PM
      • Define trolling
        by scot22
        I was recently, quite rightly, criticised by the moderator for trying to exceed my role on the forum. The moderation was fair, reasonable and balanced. I was disappointed to be labelled a troll. Something I've always associated with foul and aggressive internet use. I've always tried to promote...
        20-04-2020, 16:26 PM
      • Reply to Define trolling
        by scot22
        Thanks moderators I appreciate the clarity and the factors you consider ( very reasonable )
        Its a shame that people who are courteous and knowledgeable such as Lawcruncher should suffer abuse.
        26-04-2020, 16:10 PM
        by Lawcruncher
        If you are referring to House Price Crash Forum I have had some run-ins there as well....
        25-04-2020, 10:46 AM
        by boletus
        Pretty shoddy treatment indeed but try posting about the possibility of a house price rise on the anti-landlord website you're a member of.
        25-04-2020, 10:34 AM
        by Moderator2
        I pretty much go with the definition that Mrs Mug posted above, so when I see someone accusing another forum member of ‘trolling’ then that is likely to attract my attention in a negative way for the person making the accusation.

If I see a new member posting such an accusation openly...
        24-04-2020, 11:50 AM
        by scot22
        Thanks. Perhaps criticising some of the manner of expression used could be defined as off-topic. In that case, guilty, but I don't accept I've done any else.
        wanting to be clear. I understand how challenging a mother's job can be. I did plenty in my professional life. I appreciate I exceeded...
        21-04-2020, 08:37 AM
      Working...
      X