Housing Benefit Questions (HB, LHA, DSS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing Benefit Questions (HB, LHA, DSS)

Can the name of this board please be changed. The Department of Social Security hasn’t existed for over 20 years. It is now feasible that there are landlords who were born after this government department ceased to exist.

The DSS was also never involved in housing benefits, even when it did exist.

I think the issue is that it's still used as a shorthand for people on benefits, even though it's inaccurate and anachronistic.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Please don't sacrifice the board title on the alter of misguided wokeishness.

The board comes up towards the top of most search engines, knowledgeable landlords have helped thousands of DSS tenants over the years.

Comment

Not for over 20 years they haven’t and I don’t think wanting to be factually correct is being woke. People managed to make the leap from DHSS to DSS so maybe it’s time to move on from DSS.

Comment

Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post
          I don’t think wanting to be factually correct is being woke.
          Agree. 'Woke' pertains to political correctness*, whereas the point being made here is about factual correctness. Different things.

* "alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice", OED.
          There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

The title's for the benefit of the users of the forum most of whom come here very infrequently.

Everyone knows what "No DSS" means, even if, being pedantic, it doesn't mean anything.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It's just laziness in language use.

I have to say though that it only seems to be the private rental sector that still refers benefits as DSS.

Even the red top papers have stopped using it, and they are usually firmly stuck in the past.
              (Like Boris with his latest 'bring back pounds and ounces' stupidity).

Comment

Exactly, even the red top papers have moved on and it is illegal to advertise a property as, "no DDS," these days. Time for everyone to move on. Be the change you want to see!

"HB, LHA and UC" would be a more appropriate board title.

Comment

The reason it's not legal to advertise a property as "no DSS" is because everyone knows what that means and it's the commonly used expression.
                  If it were meaningless it wouldn't be illegal.

MOTs are still called MOTs because that's what everyone calls them and it's too much trouble to try and change it.
                  There hasn't been a Ministry of Transport since 1970.

And who calls Universal Credit, "UC"?
                  LHA is the redundant bit for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    Err, just about everybody who claims it and everyone in the welfare/benefits advice sector.
                    (Not forgetting the jobcentre staff themselves, although they are supposed to always use the full name they don't in practice).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                      Err, just about everybody who claims it and everyone in the welfare/benefits advice sector.
                      (Not forgetting the jobcentre staff themselves, although they are supposed to always use the full name they don't in practice).
                      Just me being out of touch then.
                      I always use the full expression.

Comment

I suppose it depends how often you use it, it just becomes verbal shortand. (and of course it's quicker to type).

Comment

Yesterday's inbox;

"Do you take DSS for this property? I have a working guarantor...etc"

I'd say around quarter of tenants who refer to it use 'DSS', the majority say 'Benefits'. I've not noticed any distinction between age groups using it.

Comment

But is that not a case of the tenant just knowing that landlords still use it, so using the same language when communicating?

TBH the only time I ever hear or see 'DSS' nowadays it's in association with rentals, nowhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                              The reason it's not legal to advertise a property as "no DSS" is because everyone knows what that means and it's the commonly used expression.
                              If it were meaningless it wouldn't be illegal.

MOTs are still called MOTs because that's what everyone calls them and it's too much trouble to try and change it.
                              There hasn't been a Ministry of Transport since 1970.

LHA is the redundant bit for me.
                              MOT tests are slightly different as the term “MOT” is still used in the legislation so is still the official term even though the Ministry of Transport hasn’t existed since 1970.

I think LHA is still in use as LHA rates are still in use to determine how much someone can claim.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X