How to deal with auto-blocking of posts (waiting approval)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with auto-blocking of posts (waiting approval)

note for mods: please trim back your software so that edits we make within seconds of posting aren't flagged as spam. Cheers.

ah... don't worry about the original post too much. It's in hand. I just posted an update in regard to a CGT query and then noticed a typo seconds after posting. Editing it has resulted in it being flagged as spam and having to be released by the mods. So here we wait...

Comment

or has it in fact been eaten by the mods?

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
        note for mods: please trim back your software so that edits we make within seconds of posting aren't flagged as spam. Cheers.
        Hi,

Messages within threads are unlikely to be seen or catch my attention quickly.

The forum software is vBulletin, not created by LLZ, and not all security features are easily adjusted.

We get a large number of spam post, you don't see the majority because the forum software that flagged your post successfully captures many of them also, relax the limits and more spam posts get through.

Issues about forum operations should be posted in the 'How to use these forums' section.

I have advised before that if members want a reasonably quick response to a blocked post, then use the 'Report Post' for any post in the thread and just ask that the post be approved, this results in an email message to me which I will respond to as soon as I can (but I do have a day job).

The forum software automatically flags posts for approval, and sends an automated message to mods / admin, but the action of approving is manual, there are currently over 3200 notifications in the queue and it is in effect unusable.

Regards,

Andy
        I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

thanks for the explanation Andy. Much appreciated.

Comment

It's not good I know, I'm not really defending the forum software and it's probably overdue a refurshment, but we have to make do I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
              The forum software automatically flags posts for approval, and sends an automated message to mods / admin, but the action of approving is manual, there are currently over 3200 notifications in the queue and it is in effect unusable.
              How many do you get a day?
              You could probably take an executive decision and just delete anything more than a few days old, as it's either spam or past it's useful date.

If it's something I can help with, just let me know (although I suspect it requires godlike powers!)
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, but it requires Admin access.

There are 3295 going back over 10 years, so not that frequent, and 168 pages to delete. I'll do it sometime when I have the willpower.

The current issues of post approval are a little unusual, seems to last for an hour or so, and it's happened a few times, but even then it's not all posts during that period.

Regards,

Andy

Comment

I'm sure that you already know this Andy.

You may find that many of the moderated posts are from the same spammer(s).
                  You probably already know that if you use the Inline Mod tools to 'Delete as spam' a (moderated) post you get an option to 'delete all other posts by this user', note though that option can't be used if the spammer has made more than 50 posts.

Personally I use TinyTask action recorder on a vB Mod CP at times when I have a lot of spammers or moderated posts to get rid of.
                  A couple of years ago I had to clean up 200+ pages of non-posting users with a spam link in their profile (for non-mods that's 5,000+ spam user registrations). TinyTask made that job easier.
                  You have to use it very carefully but it can save a lot of wear on your banning/removal finger.

Of course as you say it's much easier for someone with access to the Admin CP to do a mass delete of the notifications, but we have to work with what we can..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X