Damaged furniture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged furniture

I have just received my inventory check out report . Previous tenants have just been 'fair wear and tear damage'. This time the tenant has damaged 2 of the 6 dining chairs with holes in the seats and ripped fabric around 1 leg. The chairs were a year old when the tenant moved in and are no longer available to buy. What exactly can I claim for - is it a new set of chairs? There are also burn marks in the top of a chest of drawers - what can I claim for here? Finally, the washing machine is broken - it was quite old but the tenant hasn't informed us of any problems. Many thanks in advance

I'll be devils advocate.

I'm interesred in "ripped fabric around 1 leg" of a dining chair.

Maybe it's a North/South thing but fabric on the legs of a dining chair?

Plus only one year old and no longer availble?

I'd be interested to know more details.

PS. No you can't claim for brand new chairs, only for the loss of value.

Comment

You can claim for your loss, which is based on the damage to the chairs, which sounds cosmetic and therefore it will be fairly trivial.
      You can't claim anything for the chairs that aren't damaged.

If you replace the furniture you can offset the cost against income for tax purposes.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damaged furniture
        by dora5
        I have just received my inventory check out report . Previous tenants have just been 'fair wear and tear damage'. This time the tenant has damaged 2 of the 6 dining chairs with holes in the seats and ripped fabric around 1 leg. The chairs were a year old when the tenant moved in and are no longer available...
        16-07-2021, 12:44 PM
      • Reply to Damaged furniture
        by jpkeates
        You can claim for your loss, which is based on the damage to the chairs, which sounds cosmetic and therefore it will be fairly trivial.
        You can't claim anything for the chairs that aren't damaged.

If you replace the furniture you can offset the cost against income for tax purpose...
        17-07-2021, 13:07 PM
      • Reply to Damaged furniture
        by nukecad
        I'll be devils advocate.

I'm interesred in "ripped fabric around 1 leg" of a dining chair.

Maybe it's a North/South thing but fabric on the legs of a dining chair?

Plus only one year old and no longer availble?

I'd be interested to know more...
        16-07-2021, 17:14 PM
      • Reply to Locked out of my account... again
        by jpkeates
        Thank you.

It did seem odd that I wasn't able to access one particular post.
        The firewall doing its job, from the sound of it....
        15-06-2021, 07:50 AM
      • Locked out of my account... again
        by lllccc
        This is getting really, really annoying. I keep getting locked out of this site, except the first few times I thought it was my own stupidity, changed my password, and carried on.

The multiple incorrect password attempts on my account are coming from an IP address:
        https://whatis...
        10-01-2021, 15:47 PM
        by Moderator2
        jpkeates It is (was) a badly formatted post which looks like pasted in text, where there was practically one word per line, and what looked like some personal information in there. I’ve deleted it and informed the OP....
        14-06-2021, 20:33 PM
        by jpkeates
        Another firewall issue.
        I'm not able to access one thread in the Residential Letting Questions sub forum - disrepair in the property falling under s.11 Landlord and Tenant Act

Message in image
        14-06-2021, 07:15 AM
      • Section 8 notice
        by mik1ee
        Hi, my tenant has not paid rent for four months. I think I am right that the updated COVID rules mean that from 01 Jun 2021, 28 days notice is required for possession of my property following delivery of a Section 8 notice (for rent arrears). It appears that the tenant has vacated the property. I have...
        03-06-2021, 23:05 PM
      • Reply to Section 8 notice
        by theartfullodger
        Write and arrange inspection , 24hr min notice, 1st, see what you find. Go with witness if possible
        04-06-2021, 06:16 AM
      • Reply to How spam is handled byLandlordZONE
        by Moderator2
        In a number of recent cases of spam posts, where some very old threads are resurrected by spammers, forum members have not noticed and have continued to comment on the thread subject matter. While I am normally very reluctant to delete the efforts of forum members, I intend to do so in future with such...
        02-06-2021, 06:38 AM
      Working...
      X