Thread closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread closed

I am puzzled why this thread has been closed. Is it a mistake?

No, not a mistake, but undesirable.

Occasionally, as in this case, we have people come along creating threads and getting replies, who decide for themselves that when they have the answers they were after they would like the thread to be deleted. They go through deleting their posts but are unable to delete the first post as that is a database key and can’t be deleted by regular users.

Needless to say, a thread with all the OPs posts removed apart from the first is pretty useless. Future forum rules will state that such action is not acceptable.
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

I'm puzzled too, about your reply!

I messaged the forum administrator, and explained I accidentally deleted my posts (it didn't allow me to edit my reply twice, and I thought I had to delete and do it again, and I accidentally ticked all my posts), because I couldn't get them back, and it looks a bit odd without any of my replies (as you stated: "useless"), I asked the administrator to permanently delete the post I created. I was just being responsible for my mistake. I don't understand which part of "I could really use some help" from my last post indicates "they have the answers they were after (so) they would like the thread to be deleted " as you put it.

I think it's unacceptable that people can't delete their own post, especially if they demand it to be deleted, permanently. In my case, I didn't want to give the administrator the trouble to sort out the problem, and to be frank, I can't be bothered to ask the administrator to sort it out.

I don't know what your problem is with people deleting their posts "after they get their answers" (in my case I didn't actually get an answer yet), but shouldn't it be their choice? There is a problem with the forum rules, and not letting people delete their posts is unacceptable.

If you are the administrator, can I ask: instead of deleting this topic as I asked, why did you choose to reinstate all my posts that I (accidentally) deleted and close that topic?

Comment

I’m not aware of any messages sent to an administrator or moderator, what I do see is a comment in your last deletion which says;

“Permanently Removing the content and the posts please.”

Which as I say is just a comment tagged to the deletion.

This is what the forum rules say;

11. Removing posts can be difficult and expensive and is often unfair to those who have spend time answering questions. Posts often get copied to numerous other posts which means that editing or removing them without destroying the meaning of a whole thread becomes a very time consuming activity for our technicians. We may charge you for our time to remove posts which are not libellous or illegal but which you subsequently feel you would like removed or edited.”

That’s the state you left the thread in, it had lost all meaning with all your posts deleted, with the efforts of people who had replied wasted. I don’t see why you think that rule is wrong or unfair, and you should make yourself familiar with forum rules when you join any forum, not just LLZ.

I see no good reason for the posts or the thread to be deleted, and the correct solution to your predicament of accidentally deleting all of your own posts is to reinstate them.

I have re-opened the thread so further posting is now possible.

Comment

I wrote: “Permanently Removing the content and the posts please.” on the subject of the message, and I then explained why, in two messages.

Whatever the forum rules are, it still seems unfair. You clearly have the time and means to reinstate all my posts, close my post and reopen my post. Your wish to charge me for removing the posts seems to me like you may charge me whenever and for whatever you see fit.

To say I wasted people's efforts in replying to me is bizarre! People replied to me to help me, and they did. I think the forum is here to help people with problems, not to cause one.

Just for the record, I admitted I accidentally deleted my posts and for that mistake, I asked you to delete my post that I created, but I never asked you to reinstate my posts, or close it.

I think it's good for people to see what would happen if they meet a similar situation, and it is certainly a great advert for the forum! A very good job done to you!

Comment

I really can't see why posters should be able to delete their posts. Sorry sweetandsour but a lot of people put a lot of effort into postings that are supposed to be of general help to the world. If you want private advice, then go pay for it. It is deeply insulting to suggest that people should have their efforts deleted because you say so.

Yes I can see very unusual circumstances where it might be reasonable via a moderator - such as where confidential information is leaked by accident.

Comment

You might think you were sending messages to someone, but all you were doing was effectively adding a reason to the deletion of the posts. I’ve not seen any messages from you, and no administrator has contacted me, all I saw is a thread with all your replies deleted. If that thread had been left in that state then yes, all the efforts of the others replying would have been wasted since the thread made no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                Yes I can see very unusual circumstances where it might be reasonable via a moderator - such as where confidential information is leaked by accident.
                Plenty of people have in the past requested for threads to be deleted, I will look at the reasons and decide if the request is reasonable. In many cases it seems people get a little concerned that they posted too much detail and might be identified, and if I think that’s true then I might do something about it. But I am highly reluctant to delete threads where members such as yourself have put time and effort into helping someone, I find that very hard to justify.

I could not support a forum policy which allows for threads to be routinely deleted, how would regular forum members feel if threads they had recently posted in disappeared without notice?

Comment

It's a common problem I see on forums, people posting only to delete their posts later or asking admin to delete a whole thread.

I find it very rude and really annoying when people go on a forum for advice, only to delete their posts later on
                  Thunderbirds are go

Comment

The thread in question has now been made available again as it has been established that there was a misunderstanding.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X