Landlord zone hacked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord zone hacked?

I usually use chrome as my search engine and this morning when I went into forums it came up as hacked with a demand for a large amount of bitcoins. I'm using another browser and it seems ok? Has anyone else had this problem?

yes me too, on chrome browser on my computer, and also on my android phone which uses Samsung internet, not sure if that linked to Chrome.
    assume everything I write is preceded by IMHO...

Comment

I've just posted about it, and PM'd moderator2.

To me it looks like a phishing attempt rather than an actual database hack.

You know the thing, like an email that says they have been watching you through your webcam and will publish naughty pictures unless you pay XYZ bitcoin.

It's only affecting that one page that I can see and most user will navigate straight past it if coming to the forum from a bookmark or a weblink.

Comment

The offending page is no longer showing.

Comment

I've responded to your other post - I think it's a web site configuration error.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As I said in the other post; errors don't threaten to publish your databases unless you pay them bitcoin.

Comment

I have the same problem using IE. After a similar problem last year I link straight to the forums now, however that bookmark now directs me to the search page. The last time it happened their was no official response and obviously no increase in the security.

Comment

Phishing is nothing realy to bother about, it isn't going to affect your computer in any way.

Millions of phishing emails are sent out every day - it's basically just an empty threat/ransom note hoping that someone doesn't know about them, so will get scared and pay what they are asking.

It's a bit more unusual to see one appearing in plain sight on a forum.

Though the fact that the forum got phished in plain sight is a sign that the forum admin should take a serious look at their underlying security overall.
                vBulletin is not the most secure forum software these days, especially if it's not kept up to date.

Comment

How can you change the main page without access to the server? And if you have access to the server what else can you do? I still can't access the forums from the main page.

Comment

Scan your pc, after viewing a hacked website with this free programme

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Just to be on the safe side...

Thunderbirds are go

Comment

My post on 30-06-2020, 17:14 keeps vanishing, but is now back and read PM,s keep popping back as Not read ?
                      Thunderbirds are go

Comment

The whole forum stopped working for me yesterday evening - couldn't even log in.
                        Spent a bit of time trying to remember if I'd posted anything inflammatory...
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post
                          Scan your pc, after viewing a hacked website with this free programme

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Just to be on the safe side...
                          AdwCleaner removes Adware (and manufacturer pre-installed bloatware) , it doesn't realy detect/remove malware as such.

Malwarebytes4 itself is for protection against malware (Viruses, exploits, ransomware,web protection).
                          https://www.malwarebytes.com/for-home/products/
                          the FREE download is a 14 day free trial after which it goes to scan only mode, if you want real time protection you have to pay for a licence.
                          Without a licence you are still able to run manual scans (once a week or so is ususal and is what I do).
                          With a licence (or the trial) it can happily run alongside a traditional AntiVirus (or Windows Defender) giving extra layered protection.

I also run Malwarebytes Browser Guard (available for Chrome and Firefox), which is FREE and gives extra browser protection, plus adblocking.
                          https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/

TBH though what we saw yesterday was a phishing attempt aimed at the forum owner, and would not have affected your machine.

The whole forum stopped working for me yesterday evening - couldn't even log in.
                          The forum was down early this morning 'for maintenance' - don't know what time it went off last night.

A security check shows that the forum security has now been improved from where it was yesterday.

Comment

The ‘phishing’ attempt was just that, thanks nukecad.

The server was down yesterday for some corrective action, which came about unexpectedly and was unavoidable.

I believe all is well now, but we would appreciate it if people could send me a PM if issues like that arise in future, as nukecad did – thanks again.
                            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X