Define trolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Define trolling

I was recently, quite rightly, criticised by the moderator for trying to exceed my role on the forum. The moderation was fair, reasonable and balanced. I was disappointed to be labelled a troll. Something I've always associated with foul and aggressive internet use. I've always tried to promote courteous and constructive behaviour. I understand that I was wrong to vary from specifics.
    Please can we have a definition.

According to Joshyt the new definition is 'giving me an answer I didn't want to hear'. Seems I'm one too 😂

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
      According to Joshyt the new definition is 'giving me an answer I didn't want to hear'.
      You can say tha again. Look at the treatment I got when I started this thread: https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...ges-penalties/ (Was it really 13 years ago?)

Comment

What does it mean to troll on social media?

Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users.

Comment

Thanks. Perhaps criticising some of the manner of expression used could be defined as off-topic. In that case, guilty, but I don't accept I've done any else.
          wanting to be clear. I understand how challenging a mother's job can be. I did plenty in my professional life. I appreciate I exceeded the role of one of the posters and will follow the correct procedure.
          Apologies for taking your time.

Comment

I pretty much go with the definition that Mrs Mug posted above, so when I see someone accusing another forum member of ‘trolling’ then that is likely to attract my attention in a negative way for the person making the accusation.

If I see a new member posting such an accusation openly in a thread, especially in response to long term member’s posts, then that new member is on a slippery slope to a ban.

Regardless of the definition, we have rules that all members should abide by. New members should take note of those rules but often don’t. Any member openly accusing another member of ‘trolling’ is breaching the rules, and should be reporting any issues they have by using the ‘flag’ option.

I will apply far more latitude to long term members, though that shouldn’t be considered some kind of green light to breach rules. Long term members obviously have a posting history that provides me with some ability to assess their posts differently to a new member with no significant forum history.
            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

You can say tha again. Look at the treatment I got when I started this thread:
              Pretty shoddy treatment indeed but try posting about the possibility of a house price rise on the anti-landlord website you're a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Pretty shoddy treatment indeed but try posting about the possibility of a house price rise on the anti-landlord website you're a member of.
                If you are referring to House Price Crash Forum I have had some run-ins there as well.

Comment

Thanks moderators I appreciate the clarity and the factors you consider ( very reasonable )
                  Its a shame that people who are courteous and knowledgeable such as Lawcruncher should suffer abuse.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X