Insurance being cancelled

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Insurance being cancelled

    So Direct Line have told me that they are going to cancel the policy as teh flat is empty for too long (following damage to the property by a former tenant they wont cover me, or for each room there is £200 excess). Given the age of the bathrooms and kitchen (and damage), they are being replaced, but the works mean the flat is empty for more than 30 days to get all the works done they have told me they are going to cancel the property insurance. I have lodged a formal complaint, but anyone else experienced this. Surely it must be fairly common that a property is vacant for more than a month after a tenant moves out when lots of repairs are needed and landlord insurance really ought to be set up to cover that? it feels like they are trying to pass the buck and avoid covering the flat because of the business interuption by works being delayed owing to CV19.

    Anyone got any recommendations?

    You need to get empty property insurance (unoccupied), and ensure that security measures are taken, a number of insurance companies provide this type of policy.


      I don't understand why you need landlord insurance during a void. Presumably the building is covered by the freeholder? I don't even inform insurers of voids, to avoid the hassle you face.


        Some insurers simply have a limit on how long a property can be unoccupied. Their hands may be tied so simply can't offer you any more cover. As you say though, the situation is common so I don't anticipate having too many problems getting cover from a different provider. Having works done and the previous incident from a former tenant is a little hurdle but speak to the right people and I'm sure you'll be okay. Try the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory for some options.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details


          Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          I don't understand why you need landlord insurance during a void. Presumably the building is covered by the freeholder? I don't even inform insurers of voids, to avoid the hassle you face.

          The freeholder MUST be informed of vacant property if it goes over or is likely to go over their vacant property time limits.

          I have to inform the insurance company of voids of leaseholders and or their sub-tenants, as the buildings insurance will not cover any damage from the vacant flat such as water leaks, either from pipes or leaking roof that is not reported ,or windows leaking, etc
          Any claims for damage caused to other flats due to faults arising from being unable to notice those faults will not be covered by the buildings insurance.

          However, if the flat is inspected every week, and a report sheet written for each visit, showing "no faults found", then the insurance company "may" consider claims by the freeholder.
          Write a sheet(s) listing everything that has, would, will be inspected.( make many blank copies )
          If you can't do it. I charge £ 40 per visit.

          Some companies insist that the water is tuned off, the gas and electric.
          Some insist the water tanks are drained.
          Some go so far as saying the heating system ( radiators heated by water ) should be drained.

          This is to prevent "Legionnaires" deadly infection

          In winter, the heating MUST be on -at the coldest times, ( 4 months ) .

          If you want to pay for every flat that could be damaged by any faults from your flat, then don't inform the freeholder.

          You want to avoid hassle ?, - then you certainly will get plenty if you flout the buildings insurance policy.


          especially ..... actions for properties left vacant

          It is important that water is not allowed to stagnate within the water system and so there should be careful management of properties left vacant for extended periods (eg student accommodation left empty over the summer vacation). As a general principle, outlets on hot and cold water systems should be used at least once a week to maintain a degree of water flow and minimize the chances of stagnation. To manage the risks during non-occupancy, consideration should be given to implementing a suitable flushing regime or other measures such as draining the system if it is to remain vacant for long periods.

          ( The once a week will negate having to drain the tanks and switching water off )

          Have fun.


            well the bathrooms are getting replaced, so I assume the water/heating will be being used as and when the work is finished to check it all works....


              Checking water comes out to a few taps in the bathroom is not flushing the system. The builders are not there to flush and replace all water in every pipe / tank. They have not been instructed to do so.

              As I said, have fun ( with your blindfold on )


                When doing a refurb I got unoccupied property insurance with SAGIC they were really cost effective and just said I had to visit once a week to maintain insurance cover


                Latest Activity