Insurance being cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance being cancelled

So Direct Line have told me that they are going to cancel the policy as teh flat is empty for too long (following damage to the property by a former tenant they wont cover me, or for each room there is £200 excess). Given the age of the bathrooms and kitchen (and damage), they are being replaced, but the works mean the flat is empty for more than 30 days to get all the works done they have told me they are going to cancel the property insurance. I have lodged a formal complaint, but anyone else experienced this. Surely it must be fairly common that a property is vacant for more than a month after a tenant moves out when lots of repairs are needed and landlord insurance really ought to be set up to cover that? it feels like they are trying to pass the buck and avoid covering the flat because of the business interuption by works being delayed owing to CV19.

Anyone got any recommendations?

You need to get empty property insurance (unoccupied), and ensure that security measures are taken, a number of insurance companies provide this type of policy.

Comment

I don't understand why you need landlord insurance during a void. Presumably the building is covered by the freeholder? I don't even inform insurers of voids, to avoid the hassle you face.

Comment

Some insurers simply have a limit on how long a property can be unoccupied. Their hands may be tied so simply can't offer you any more cover. As you say though, the situation is common so I don't anticipate having too many problems getting cover from a different provider. Having works done and the previous incident from a former tenant is a little hurdle but speak to the right people and I'm sure you'll be okay. Try the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory for some options.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          I don't understand why you need landlord insurance during a void. Presumably the building is covered by the freeholder? I don't even inform insurers of voids, to avoid the hassle you face.

The freeholder MUST be informed of vacant property if it goes over or is likely to go over their vacant property time limits.

I have to inform the insurance company of voids of leaseholders and or their sub-tenants, as the buildings insurance will not cover any damage from the vacant flat such as water leaks, either from pipes or leaking roof that is not reported ,or windows leaking, etc
          Any claims for damage caused to other flats due to faults arising from being unable to notice those faults will not be covered by the buildings insurance.

However, if the flat is inspected every week, and a report sheet written for each visit, showing "no faults found", then the insurance company "may" consider claims by the freeholder.
          Write a sheet(s) listing everything that has, would, will be inspected.( make many blank copies )
          If you can't do it. I charge £ 40 per visit.

Some companies insist that the water is tuned off, the gas and electric.
          Some insist the water tanks are drained.
          Some go so far as saying the heating system ( radiators heated by water ) should be drained.

This is to prevent "Legionnaires" deadly infection

In winter, the heating MUST be on -at the coldest times, ( 4 months ) .

If you want to pay for every flat that could be damaged by any faults from your flat, then don't inform the freeholder.

You want to avoid hassle ?, - then you certainly will get plenty if you flout the buildings insurance policy.

See
          https://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/legionella-landlords-responsibilities.htm
          especially ..... actions for properties left vacant

It is important that water is not allowed to stagnate within the water system and so there should be careful management of properties left vacant for extended periods (eg student accommodation left empty over the summer vacation). As a general principle, outlets on hot and cold water systems should be used at least once a week to maintain a degree of water flow and minimize the chances of stagnation. To manage the risks during non-occupancy, consideration should be given to implementing a suitable flushing regime or other measures such as draining the system if it is to remain vacant for long periods.

( The once a week will negate having to drain the tanks and switching water off )

Have fun.

Comment

well the bathrooms are getting replaced, so I assume the water/heating will be being used as and when the work is finished to check it all works....

Comment

Checking water comes out to a few taps in the bathroom is not flushing the system. The builders are not there to flush and replace all water in every pipe / tank. They have not been instructed to do so.

As I said, have fun ( with your blindfold on )

Comment

When doing a refurb I got unoccupied property insurance with SAGIC they were really cost effective and just said I had to visit once a week to maintain insurance cover

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Best way to search forums
                  by Moderator2
                  Please avoid posting in threads more than 6 months old, and even then post only if you have something of significant value to add. Old threads can contain legally out of date advice.
                  03-05-2020, 12:15 PM
                • Best way to search forums
                  by kennyj52
                  I've been using the forums for a couple of years now and have always found them interesting and informative as well as often very helpful. I usually search for answers to my questions in existing threads, however there doesn't appear to be a quick and easy way of doing this, so I end up scanning through...
                  01-05-2020, 12:11 PM
                • Reply to Best way to search forums
                  by jpkeates
                  Use google.
                  [list of search terms] site:forums.landlordzone.co.uk
                  01-05-2020, 12:38 PM
                • Define trolling
                  by scot22
                  I was recently, quite rightly, criticised by the moderator for trying to exceed my role on the forum. The moderation was fair, reasonable and balanced. I was disappointed to be labelled a troll. Something I've always associated with foul and aggressive internet use. I've always tried to promote...
                  20-04-2020, 16:26 PM
                • Reply to Define trolling
                  by scot22
                  Thanks moderators I appreciate the clarity and the factors you consider ( very reasonable )
                  Its a shame that people who are courteous and knowledgeable such as Lawcruncher should suffer abuse.
                  26-04-2020, 16:10 PM
                  by Lawcruncher
                  If you are referring to House Price Crash Forum I have had some run-ins there as well....
                  25-04-2020, 10:46 AM
                  by boletus
                  Pretty shoddy treatment indeed but try posting about the possibility of a house price rise on the anti-landlord website you're a member of.
                  25-04-2020, 10:34 AM
                  by Moderator2
                  I pretty much go with the definition that Mrs Mug posted above, so when I see someone accusing another forum member of ‘trolling’ then that is likely to attract my attention in a negative way for the person making the accusation.

If I see a new member posting such an accusation openly...
                  24-04-2020, 11:50 AM
                  by scot22
                  Thanks. Perhaps criticising some of the manner of expression used could be defined as off-topic. In that case, guilty, but I don't accept I've done any else.
                  wanting to be clear. I understand how challenging a mother's job can be. I did plenty in my professional life. I appreciate I exceeded...
                  21-04-2020, 08:37 AM
                Working...
                X