The forums are temporarily disabled while some essential maintenance being conducted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nukecad
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I get the feeling that we don't actually have an admin for the forum.
    LOL, we have the same feeling on the disability forum I frequent.

There hasn't even been a moderator logon there since 4th Dec - The amount of spam posted in that time is horrendous and is driving members old and new away.

It's been bad for a couple of years but it's realy bad at the moment, they need a mod (a team of mods) who knows what they are doing and doesn't just work office hours.
    (I've even taken the step of contacting the parent organisation because we don't believe that our concerns/complaints/offers of help about it are getting any further than the current forum mod - if there even is one).

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I get the feeling that we don't actually have an admin for the forum.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Has anyone noticed that the 'Go to first new post button' is visible - as long as you are not logged in.
    snip.JPG

It only disappears again once you login.
    It has to be the formatting/width of the menu columns on the page menu/search bar which change depending on if you are logged in or not.
    ie. the first column when not logged in is 'Todays's Posts' but it changes to the shorter 'New Posts' once you've logged in.

The column width is resizing to fit the shorter wording in the menu title, and so there is no longer room for that button to be displayed.

It also explains the display anomalies in the screenshot in sam_cat's post (#5) above, the coulmns on the main page are being automatically sized to the same as the menubar columns and so everything is being crammed into a narrower first column.

All that should be needed is for an Admin to readjust the column widths (of all columns) to set widths rather than sized to fit the number of characters.
    (As I said before it's little tweaks like that that can get reset when you have to reload the software following an outage).

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Ah grasshopper, you have to earn your spurs before you get to lean the secrets of the adept.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Is there anyone who is actually in charge of the forum from a technical point of view?

I'm getting quite adept at clicking on an otherwise empty space to go to the last post, but for anyone new coming to the forum it would be terribly confusing and frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    It's not visible on my Firefox either, but the white space can be sucessfully clicked to take you to the last post - if you know the button should be there.
    Try right clicking the white space until the pop-up menu reads 'open link in new tab', or similar wording for your browser.
    Or hover the cursor in the white space until it changes to a pointing finger, then left click.

Getting technical and looking at the html code for the page it seems that the icon for the button is hidden if the colums spacings are 'large' or 'narrow'.
    And as we can see the colum spacing is all to c**k at the moment, Just look at the 'Header' bar.
    Once they sort the column spacing out the the button should display again.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Great spot.

Unfortunately, the link is completely invisible in my browser (safari) there's no blue graphic there.

Leave a comment:

• Bram Stoker
    replied
    There _is_ a link to the first unread post, but it occupies a small sliver of space just before the text of the topic subject, so a bit tricky to be aware of, or select.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    I'm sure that most would rather see the forum with missing functionallity for a while rather than no forum and just an error message.
    Nope.
    There's not much difference between a web site that's not there and one that you can't use.

And the complete lack of any explanation or update makes things worse.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Well best wishes to Tom & his team for getting the operation back up. The thing about computers, it's not IF it goes wrong but WHEN.

I expect a few techies sweated blood for days to get this sorted (no idea what went wrong..).

Leave a comment:

• Kape65
    replied
    I kept getting a "virus" on the home page which re-directed me if I tried clicking on anything, I guess that was the essential maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Look different to me on multiple computers and browsers.

Untitled.png

I mean, what's with that giant padding, with everything else squished into tiny little space? And yes, nothing immediately obviously clickable to take me to newest post.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Well we still don't know just what happened.

As there was no warning that maintenance was going to take place, and as it went on for a couple of days, then I'm guessing that it wasn't something planned for and so couldn't be pre-tested for.

If it was something like a catastrophic server breakdown then the priority would be to get a new server up and running, get the forum back on line, and then sort out the settings.

I'm sure that most would rather see the forum with missing functionallity for a while rather than no forum and just an error message.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by nukecad View Post

Usually you get the forum up again as a priority and then sort that customising stuff out.
    Usually one tests it in a sandbox before deploying it live and documents the process required to deploy it live (TSB excepted, apparently: they still have not got everything working after more than a year).

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    I'm guessing that the underlying software has been reloaded or updated, and has reverted to default settings.

It can take a while for admin to put all the custom settings, 'tweaks', and add-ons back when that happens - if they can remember them all or have kept a list.

Usually you get the forum up again as a priority and then sort that customising stuff out.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X