The forums are temporarily disabled while some essential maintenance being conducted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There _is_ a link to the first unread post, but it occupies a small sliver of space just before the text of the topic subject, so a bit tricky to be aware of, or select.

Comment

Great spot.

Unfortunately, the link is completely invisible in my browser (safari) there's no blue graphic there.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It's not visible on my Firefox either, but the white space can be sucessfully clicked to take you to the last post - if you know the button should be there.
        Try right clicking the white space until the pop-up menu reads 'open link in new tab', or similar wording for your browser.
        Or hover the cursor in the white space until it changes to a pointing finger, then left click.

Getting technical and looking at the html code for the page it seems that the icon for the button is hidden if the colums spacings are 'large' or 'narrow'.
        And as we can see the colum spacing is all to c**k at the moment, Just look at the 'Header' bar.
        Once they sort the column spacing out the the button should display again.

Comment

Is there anyone who is actually in charge of the forum from a technical point of view?

I'm getting quite adept at clicking on an otherwise empty space to go to the last post, but for anyone new coming to the forum it would be terribly confusing and frustrating.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ah grasshopper, you have to earn your spurs before you get to lean the secrets of the adept.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that the 'Go to first new post button' is visible - as long as you are not logged in.
              snip.JPG

It only disappears again once you login.
              It has to be the formatting/width of the menu columns on the page menu/search bar which change depending on if you are logged in or not.
              ie. the first column when not logged in is 'Todays's Posts' but it changes to the shorter 'New Posts' once you've logged in.

The column width is resizing to fit the shorter wording in the menu title, and so there is no longer room for that button to be displayed.

It also explains the display anomalies in the screenshot in sam_cat's post (#5) above, the coulmns on the main page are being automatically sized to the same as the menubar columns and so everything is being crammed into a narrower first column.

All that should be needed is for an Admin to readjust the column widths (of all columns) to set widths rather than sized to fit the number of characters.
              (As I said before it's little tweaks like that that can get reset when you have to reload the software following an outage).

Comment

I get the feeling that we don't actually have an admin for the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  I get the feeling that we don't actually have an admin for the forum.
                  LOL, we have the same feeling on the disability forum I frequent.

There hasn't even been a moderator logon there since 4th Dec - The amount of spam posted in that time is horrendous and is driving members old and new away.

It's been bad for a couple of years but it's realy bad at the moment, they need a mod (a team of mods) who knows what they are doing and doesn't just work office hours.
                  (I've even taken the step of contacting the parent organisation because we don't believe that our concerns/complaints/offers of help about it are getting any further than the current forum mod - if there even is one).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Suggestion for forum
                    by theartfullodger
                    Indeed! Some of my c**k-ups have been both very instructive & very painful/expensive!...
                    05-02-2020, 17:24 PM
                  • Suggestion for forum
                    by hcaelblana
                    May I suggest a more balanced approach toward landlords as opposed to landlordzone's tenant-centric views it promotes through its regular members? I've noticed the forum tends to support members who defend tenants and look down on landlords as a general rule, and vice versa. It would be of great help...
                    04-02-2020, 18:52 PM
                    by Moderator2
                    It would be very difficult to control the bias of the forum in any practical way, and it’s not something LLZ was set up to do. I don’t believe there is a general problem even though some might be able to point to specific threads where questionable advice has been given.

I would also...
                    05-02-2020, 17:17 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    Every landlord experience is a free lesson for other landlords.
                    I've learned a huge amount from other landlord's cock ups (many of which I was also guilty of).
                    05-02-2020, 14:59 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    Remember that many "good" landlords LOVE the bizarre and convoluted legislation that hammers both tenants and landlords. The more bizarre, convoluted, damaging, time consuming and costly the better. Especially loved by large landlords or agency-landlords with large portfolios who can deal...
                    05-02-2020, 14:23 PM
                    by nukecad
                    This is a very good point, and one which we also raise frequently on a disability/benefits forum where I'm a regular.

When things are going right people don't need to look for advice, and have no need to ask questions on a forum.

So you only see the stories where things have...
                    05-02-2020, 14:12 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    Anyone can sign up and post here.
                    If the advice on the forum seems biased in favour of tenants, it would be possible for someone to offer a balancing opinion.

The operators of this forum don't have much ability to set a forum policy as such.

People who come to the forums...
                    05-02-2020, 11:55 AM
                    by JK0
                    I raised this point some years ago: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...hate-landlords
                    04-02-2020, 19:25 PM
                    by nukecad
                    For real?

You would prefer to only see one side of things.

I see mostly landlords as regular members here, with a sprinkling of tenant regular members to give a different viewpoint.
                    As well as some who have been both - and maybe still are both at the same time.
                    04-02-2020, 19:19 PM
                  Working...
                  X