Issue with site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with site

Whenever i add a hyperlink to my messages the messages are sent empty. I have tried this on a PC browser, phone browser (Chrome and Edge) and all have the same issue. No error message returned or asn't indication of what i could be doing wrong.

Please could someone advise as this was working before.

Do you mean that when you add a link the post is accepted when you 'Post Reply' but is not shown on the forum?

If yes, then it has been sent by the automatic anti-spam filters for moderation (approval by a moderator) before it will be shown.
    It happens to us all now and again, and they should show up later (if they get approved).

Just what triggers the filters to decide that a post needs approval is deliberately not specified, automatic moderation is an anti-spam measure and so it's no use telling the bad guys what your filters are set to look for.
    Different fora set their filters differently, and at different levels of severity.
    (Some even moderate every post made before it is shown).

But it's no secret that weblinks in particular are examined by the filters, and often cause them to put the post to one side for a human to decide.
    Which would suggest that there is something about your weblink that the automatic filters don't like.

Comment

No not with forum threads. I've come across this issue when sending a personal message.

Comment

Moderation can be - should be - even stricter on PM's than on public posts.

Again I won't go into it because I don't want to give any amateurs ideas, but there are very good reasons why this should be.

PS. I just had a post moderated, like I say happens to us all.

Comment

Strangely late yesterday, it's working fine. I completely understand that strictness and security required however giving reasons why it occurs in the first place would allow genuine users to amend accordingly and take appropriate measures.

Comment

It would also allow spammers to take appropriate measures and amend accordingly.

Comment

I've used and written systems to detect spam, it is possible to make systems user friendly without compromising the security model. Though no system is 100% secure there is a level of tolerance

Comment

If people see a message that their post has been sent for moderation then please send me a PM and I will then receive an email notification. I do not receive notifications of moderated posts automatically, and would not want to since many moderated posts really are spam. Remember that the action to send to moderation is automatic, and the forum software is stricter than it used to be so admin relaxation of those automatic checks is not so easy as in the past. Remember also that I am a human and not responsible for the automatic moderation of posts so moaning at me when you ask me to approve a post is tad pointless.
                I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

That's a good offer by moderator2.

Personally, where I moderate I also have email notification of moderated posts turned off.
                  There are just too many, which would swamp your email inbox.

I do check everyday there by logging into the moderator control panel and looking at 'posts awaiting moderation', but again there are often that many spam posts to wade through that it can be easy to miss a genuine post (and even delete it by mistake).

PS. That's a different forum - I am not a moderator here.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Guarantor Liability
                    Guinness1978
                    I agreed to be a guarantor for my friend but we subsequently lost touch. I thought he'd moved out when his 12 month tenancy came to an end but it turns out his landlord issued 2 new 12 month tenancies. He now (3 years on) owes rent and I've had an email from the agent saying it's going to court and...
                    23-05-2018, 22:50 PM
                  • Reply to Guarantor Liability
                    Snorkerz
                    I'd agree with AndrewDod (though not if I was your friends landlord!)

A few basic questions, so we can give you more ammo
                    • Does it have the words 'Executed as a deed' on the guarantee, and did your signature have to be independently witnessed?
                    • When you signed the guarantee, were you
                    24-05-2018, 08:42 AM
                  • Reply to Guarantor Liability
                    AndrewDod
                    There is no such thing as an "extension" of a tenancy agreement. A renewal is an entirely new agreement. You might have signed this ridiculous agreement, but no agreement can make you liable for any entirely different and unknown contracts that might be signed, with no ability to revoke such...
                    24-05-2018, 08:27 AM
                  • Issue with site
                    EssCee
                    Whenever i add a hyperlink to my messages the messages are sent empty. I have tried this on a PC browser, phone browser (Chrome and Edge) and all have the same issue. No error message returned or asn't indication of what i could be doing wrong.

Please could someone advise as this was working...
                    16-05-2018, 12:46 PM
                  • Reply to Issue with site
                    nukecad
                    That's a good offer by moderator2.

Personally, where I moderate I also have email notification of moderated posts turned off.
                    There are just too many, which would swamp your email inbox.

I do check everyday there by logging into the moderator control panel and looking...
                    18-05-2018, 03:27 AM
                    Moderator2
                    If people see a message that their post has been sent for moderation then please send me a PM and I will then receive an email notification. I do not receive notifications of moderated posts automatically, and would not want to since many moderated posts really are spam. Remember that the action to...
                    17-05-2018, 12:31 PM
                    EssCee
                    I've used and written systems to detect spam, it is possible to make systems user friendly without compromising the security model. Though no system is 100% secure there is a level of tolerance
                    17-05-2018, 10:06 AM
                    leaseholder64
                    It would also allow spammers to take appropriate measures and amend accordingly.
                    17-05-2018, 08:59 AM
                    EssCee
                    Strangely late yesterday, it's working fine. I completely understand that strictness and security required however giving reasons why it occurs in the first place would allow genuine users to amend accordingly and take appropriate measures.
                    17-05-2018, 07:28 AM
                    nukecad
                    Moderation can be - should be - even stricter on PM's than on public posts.

Again I won't go into it because I don't want to give any amateurs ideas, but there are very good reasons why this should be.

PS. I just had a post moderated, like I say happens to us all.
                    17-05-2018, 06:25 AM
                  Working...
                  X