Overzealous spam control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overzealous spam control

Wrote a post response with a link to an old thread within this forum and posted fine. Realised I linked to the thread rather than the specific post, so edited and corrected the link by removing the existing and reinserting the correct link. So still just the one link, and it's a link to another forum post. Hit save, and a popup tells me the post been flagged as spam and has been moderated.

Seriously?
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

It happens now and again.
    Happened to me, but the Mods will see it and approve it ( assuming all is above board )

Comment

On another forum I visit regularly moderation like this used to happen frequently, and members often complained about their posts getting moderated.

So admin reduced the severity of the spam filters, which of course then allowed some spam to get through.

Now there are constant complaints at that forum about the spam getting onto the board.
      It gets cleared off 2 or 3 times a day but some members still complain.

Spam is a hazard of having a forum these days, the only way to stop it completely is to close your forum to new registrations, which defeats the point of having a forum.
      It's like unwanted phone calls, you can register on the TPS but there is no way to stop them altogether (and some genuine calls will get blocked).

It's a balancing act - strict spam filters and some genuine posts will get moderated - or less strict filters, less genuine posts moderated but some spam will get through.
      And whichever choice the admin/mods make someone complains.

Comment

It's not either or.

Part of the problem is the speed of moderation, if more posts are going to get moderated, then they need more active or more in terms of numbers moderators. At the moment, a moderated post can sit for a couple of days before it's seen to. The same apply if there were spam that got through.

Alternatively, different level of filtering can be applied to different users. A proven user that has been around for months with hundred of okay posts shouldn't need the same filtering as a new users.

In this particular case that caused me to start the thread, it wasn't even where there were too many links for the level of possible spam that's been checked. There were less than the maximum allowed in the post, it was accepted and posted, and then it was edited so that the link was changed. The number of links stayed the same but suddenly it's not okay any more. And it wasn't even an external link to another website, it was a link to another post on this very forum!
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

I know I have fallen foul of exactly the same myself.
          edited a link and the new one went to moderation.

Without going into too much detail this is a common spam tactic.
          Make a post with a genuine link that passes spam filters, then go back later and edit it to the spam link.
          At one time this used to work because edits were not moderated.
          Nowadays the filters consider editing a link as suspicious and flag it for moderation.

Comment

Well TIL the post one is editing doesn't even have to contain any link, just editing in quick succession is enough to trigger the spam filter pulling the post into moderation.

Comment

Dont blame the UNPAID moderatrors.

Blame the spammers that send 60% of all emails sent that has caused this situation.

Global spam volume as percentage of total e-mail traffic from January 2014 to September 2017, by month.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...traffic-share/

Comment

Of course I don't blame the moderators. I posted here partly to vent sure, but also partly to see if the admin / operator of the forum can either relax it a bit or put in more fine grain spam control to not catch innocent posts while still keeping the spam out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X