Renting Flat as use for Emergency Accommodation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Renting Flat as use for Emergency Accommodation

    I understand councils have a statutory responsibility to provide emergency/temporary accommodation to vulnerable people.

    They either have their own properties, or use B&Bs or properties rented from private landlords.

    1)Does anyone here have experience of renting their homes on these term?
    2)Do they have to abide by the LHA rates or is emergency housing exempt?

    The reason for my 2nd question is that when you factor in market rent + council tax + utility bills, the LHA rate is far lower than that you would get from a private tenant. Not only that, but the short-term nature of emergency housing would lead to more void period, and tenants could lead to higher maintenance (both property maintenance and people management).

    I would have thought this would have been factored into, for emergency housing.

    3)Is it worth providing your house to the council for emergency accommodation? If LHA rates apply, then the answer seems to be a "No", but if it doesn't then what rents are usually achievable and does that make it worth the effort?

    Phone and ask your council - they have their own ways of doing things


    Latest Activity


    • Thinking aloud...
      I've been reading the posts on this forum of tenants who stop paying rent when receiving notice to leave.
      im simply curious to know that if a tenant on HB receives, for an example, £400 in HB paid directly to the LL and makes up the short fall of £100 themselves, then goes to the council offices...
      15-01-2018, 16:30 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      I would spend considerable time assessing any applicants to rent your property, we do and also visit them at their current address, you soon get an idea of whether you want them as tenants or not!! if you need some reassurance, then sign up for one of the rent guarantee companies, I'm not sure how good...
      18-01-2018, 08:31 AM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      Yes it's a pain for both LL and tenant.

      I claim HB, direct to LL, and once had it stopped for 2 months because the DWP made a mistake and told the council I was no longer claiming disability benefit (must have been a miracle cure).
      Of course I was still claiming the disability benefit,...
      17-01-2018, 15:18 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      MisterB, yes, indeed, people not on benefits can stop paying which was sort of part of my query.
      thinking aloud I was wondering if a tenant on benefits being paid direct to the LL from the council decided not to pay the shortfall (£100 pcm in my example) for whatever reason would only leave the...
      17-01-2018, 10:04 AM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      Mo - five men, four men, three men, two men, one man and his dog went there apparently .....

      I don't think your question actually has one single answer .... though if youre not a landlady yet, perhaps you might be considering not taking on HB tenants, but the truth is anyone can stop paying...
      17-01-2018, 08:43 AM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      If it's being paid direct to the LL (HB or UC-he) then it will continue to be paid until the claim is closed, or the claimant asks for it to be paid to themselves.

      The claim can be closed by:
      The claimant telling them to close it altogether. (For whatever reason).
      The claimant...
      16-01-2018, 16:07 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      Mrs Mug
      Also, in your area, would the tenant be getting Universal Credit that would affect how much Housing Benefit they actually receive....
      16-01-2018, 15:43 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      If the tenant is still in the property, Housing Benefit wouldn't stop. It would be paid until they left the property.

      In regards to HB departments stopping payment for the slightest thing, it would depend on what that "slightest thing" is. After all, Housing Benefit is a means...
      16-01-2018, 13:53 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      CO2 detectors won't (usually) help much: CO detectors might ....
      16-01-2018, 13:36 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      He is self employed and knows what can and cannot be claimed tax wise. The house has been fully rewired with mains smoke/fire detectors. Co2 detectors will be fitted, gas central heating services with gsc issued.
      We have concentrated on making it tenant proof rather than fancy LOL!
      16-01-2018, 13:23 PM