can I report tenants to Hb for non payment of rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I report tenants to Hb for non payment of rent

Hi, I have two tenants who are on housing benefit.they are constantly in arrears and I am getting a bit sick of chasing them for the money. they are clearly spending their housing benefit elsewere. my question is can I report them to Hb for not useing the benefit for its intended purpose.

You can report them, but not using the housing benefit isn't fraud or anything like that. Bit like you can spend child benefit on fags - doesn't have to be spent on your children.

You need to control your tenants, not punish them.

Have you considered serving a section 8 notice under grounds 10 & 11 as a 'shot across the bows'?

Comment

How long have they been in arrears for? Have you considered writing to the benefit office to get direct payments to you? Even if they are not 8 weeks or more in arrears you should consider this. What excuses did they find?

Direct payments carry some risks, e.g the council may try and claw back any overpayments , but usually if you know your tenants are eligible for the benefit you should be ok

I had some recent communication with the DWP regarding the relevant
      Regulation:

''If the tenant builds up rent arrears of eight weeks or more, the local
      authority is required to make direct payments to the landlord under HB
      Reg 95 (1)(b) and HB(SPC) Reg 76(1)(b) unless it is in the overriding
      interests of the tenant. Rent is in arrears once the payment date is passed regardless of this date being set in advance or arrears'.

Also how long have they got left in their AST? You should consider serving both section 8 and 21 notices without prejudice.

I am experiencing similar issues with HB tenants and like some people say it can be as tricky as 'extracting blood from a stone'

Comment

Do you want to get the money direct from the housing benefit department or/and evict them?
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help finding someone to take Housing Benefit with Pets
          cwmbrwla
          Hello, this is my first post so go easy please!
          This is not intended to be a sob story, just some background: A good friend of mine was recently made dependent on housing benefit after leaving an abusive relationship, and has had to foster her dog and cat in order to get a tenancy. She has a small...
          17-07-2017, 12:19 PM
        • Reply to Help finding someone to take Housing Benefit with Pets
          MisterB
          I didnt realise pets got housing benefits .... although our dog certainly has more benefits than I get !!...
          18-07-2017, 19:58 PM
          cwmbrwla
          thanks for that, it's good to hear a sympathetic voice on here! I'll pass that on.
          18-07-2017, 08:21 AM
          theartfullodger
          You might sere if local CaB has a list of agents taking HB recipients - and also council housing dept.

Given what you describe her as (poor lady...) she should get some priority for the housing register in most councils (but they have different rules..). Certainly worth applying, it's free....
          17-07-2017, 14:38 PM
        • dishonest tenant
          creamcaramel662
          My tenant has been a total nightmare as soon as she moved in the trouble started leaks floods boiler not working after months of battling through this and paying for all repairs she stopped paying rent I issued a section 21 to get her out. I have since found out she has been using my details to commit...
          09-07-2017, 09:57 AM
        • Reply to dishonest tenant
          creamcaramel662
          Oh thanks I didn't know that
          09-07-2017, 11:49 AM
          theartfullodger
          You ain't the first.

Please confirm property is registered at some other address & you've got email also from land registry if anyone tries something?
          09-07-2017, 11:33 AM
          JK0
          Par for the course I'm afraid. I hope you changed the council tax and utilities to tenant name when she moved in, or you have screwed yourself. You can get the council to pay you direct once two months rent is unpaid.
          09-07-2017, 10:58 AM
        • tenant on housing benefit paid direct is rehoused but does not vacate immediately
          Bruce Harvey
          My tenant was given a council house after 8 month continuing tenancy under a section 21 notice. Housing benefit was being paid directly to me.
          Housing benefit was paid up to 4th Jun, but my tenants did not return the keys until 6th July.
          Birmingham Council Houses are refurbished before...
          07-07-2017, 06:45 AM
        • Reply to tenant on housing benefit paid direct is rehoused but does not vacate immediately
          theartfullodger
          It is the tenant who has the liability for rent. Sue him.

However there are sometimes circumstances when HB can be paid twice during change-over, but this one doesn;t sound promising & it requires the tenant to do stuff, fill in forms etc...

Sue tenant: Then either...
          07-07-2017, 09:09 AM
        Working...
        X