HB rates...please help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HB rates...please help..

I am currently getting £149.59 for a 1 bedromm self contained which nearly pays my £800 amonth rent.

I have struggling to meet the differance along with the extra for heating, water, internet and phone etc, while I set up a new business venture

A friend has offered me a room with own bathroom and office + bills all for £550 all in which would help me out.

1 bedroom selfcontained means own bathroom, toilet and kitchen. Would I be able to put that on the tennacy agrement even tho there is one kitched in the propery, or would the LHA ask for plans of the property etc? Do you have to be living on your own to class it has 1 bedroom selfcontained?

The reason I ask is 1 Bedroom share facilties only pays £316 a month.
    I would be saving the LHA £100 Amonth anyway so would they likey to investigate?

a room with own bathroom and office
    So you have bedroom, office and bathroom to yourself, but will share the kitchen? If this is correct, you will remain entitled to the 1 bed self-contained rate because you have exclusive use of at least 2 rooms (office/bedroom) regardless of whether you share other facilities.

If you share the office however, you will go onto the shared accomodation rate.
    You will obviously check this with your LA, and ensure you give them all the details when you complete your forms.
    The above is my opinion only and does not represent a response from my employers.

Comment

Originally posted by Trishc View Post
      So you have bedroom, office and bathroom to yourself, but will share the kitchen? If this is correct, you will remain entitled to the 1 bed self-contained rate because you have exclusive use of at least 2 rooms (office/bedroom) regardless of whether you share other facilities.

If you share the office however, you will go onto the shared accomodation rate.
      You will obviously check this with your LA, and ensure you give them all the details when you complete your forms.
      Might I suggest that the word 'office' be substituted by the word 'lounge'? If you have an office then the LA are going to assume that you are using the property for commercial use and they won't pay LHA for that. You should also inform the LA of your proposed business empire as income from it will affect your benefit claim and even if there is no income - they will expect proof.

Comment

New HB rates; new rules for under 35s

I see the rates will be changing so over 35 will only be able to live in shared facilities.
        Does any one no when this will come in to force. I am 33 and was wondering if this counts only for new claims etc.

Comment

They announced this yesterday, and like all the other things that affect HB/CTB/social security in general, the details have not yet been divulged. April 2011 at the earliest I'd think. Going by the way things work at the moment, I'd also guess it would affect existing claims on the anniversary, when the LHA rate is reviewed. but that is just a guess and could easily be wrong.
          Previous intelligence suggests the Legislation for all this will start going before Parliament in November so we will just have to wait and see.
          The above is my opinion only and does not represent a response from my employers.

Comment

Does anybody know how many claims this will affect and how many HB tenants will be between 25 and 33/34/35 there are as a percentage of the total?

I can see there being loads of "unintended consequences" of this - a jump in possession hearings in 1/2 years time, a massive glut of smaller properties on the market, a high demand for 3/4 bedroom house shares, an influx of unemployed people <35 years old into family neighbourhoods, a splurge in growth of HMOs. I wonder what effect this will have with the changes to the HMO planning rules - even in their "slightly" watered down form with Cat 4 properties being permitted developments unless the council is granted wider powers to curtail HMOs.....
            Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

It is April 2012.

This should give landlords some time to take stock of the situation. There are ways of avoiding the one-room shared rate.

In short: -

For an individual, special circumstances (disability related) can mean that the single claimant can still be considered as one room self-contained. This can be achieved by having self-contained accommodation or exclusive use of two rooms. Thus, allowing a calculation based on one-room self contained.

Otherwise, the claimant would be better placed by having another person as part of the household; whether this be through a non-dependant or a dependent child. This would allow a calculation based on two rooms.

Wickerman. It is an interesting point concerning the percentage of cases affected. Again, it is a case of delving around trying to find some statistics. I will attempt to do this. Unfortunately, my normal PC is not working at the moment but I will attempt to return with something more meaningful.
              Michael Clayton

Comment

I think its a case of a cut that sounds innocuous but could have a negative impact for a huge number of tenants (not to say landlords and agents!). On the plus side (for the government) the fact it sounds innocuous means the change will not be closely scrutinised until the damage (if there is any) has been done.
                Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by P1BP27 View Post
                  I see the rates will be changing so over 35 will only be able to live in shared facilities.
                  Does any one no when this will come in to force. I am 33 and was wondering if this counts only for new claims etc.

Do you mean "under".
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

DWP reckon around 80,000 LHA claimants will be affected by this new proposal. Whether this figure is true only time will tell.

hbadvocacy
                    www.hbadvice.co.uk

Comment

New HB rates; new rules for under 35s

2 quick questions please:

when does the over 35 rule for sharing a property start?

how accurate are these hb figures in the website below? can we rely on them?

http://www.voa.gov.uk/lhadirect/LHA-...-news-2010.htm

thanks

Comment

New Twist in Housing Benefit Controversy

Newspapers and landlord magazines have been full of comments about the Government's intention to reform the Local Housing Allowance system to reduce costs. Some of the proposals are workable and fair and others not. Even London's Lord Mayor has joined the controversy against his fellow Conservatives.

I emailed the manage of the local council housing benefits dept. on Friday about the issue that I thought might give me, as a LL, the biggest problem:
                        "There's a lot of talk about the new LHA rules, but the one that concerns me most is expecting single people under 35 to share. I have enough problem explaining to people under 25 that they cannot afford a flat, but up to 35??!!

Can you tell me when this new rule is due to apply. Different "reforms" are due at different times and I can't see anywhere when this rule is to apply."

To which I had this unexpected reply:

"As far as we know it is due to take effect from April 2012. Please be aware though that all the announcements made are subject to change and that this proposals may be short lived anyway now with the imminent introduction of the new Universal Credit announced yesterday which is going to include the element for housing costs currently met by housing benefit and local housing allowance and will not be administered by local councils but centrally by the Job centres and the DWP."

So maybe all the huffing and puffing over this issue will have been irrelevant.

Comment

when does the over 35 rule for sharing a property start?
                          April 2012

how accurate are these hb figures in the website below? can we rely on them?
                          they are educated guesses based on LHA rates in August 2010, so I wouldn't rely on them to pay my mortgage next year.

"As far as we know it is due to take effect from April 2012. Please be aware though that all the announcements made are subject to change and that this proposals may be short lived anyway now with the imminent introduction of the new Universal Credit announced yesterday which is going to include the element for housing costs currently met by housing benefit and local housing allowance and will not be administered by local councils but centrally by the Job centres and the DWP."
                          Yup, this is what we've been telling people as well. The White Paper was very short on detail so while Local Authorities can make guesses, nothing has been released yet that says whats actually going to happen. Or when.

Comment

HB rates...please help..

Hi all,

Like alot of people i had my hb rate cut in August as I am only 34. I turn 35 in two weeks. Would my local council put be up to the 150 pounds a week rate or will i have to go into the hb centre and make a new claim..

many thanks

Comment

Three related threads have been merged.
                              I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X