Benefit Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefit Advice

I know our own HBAdvocacy offers expert support for tenants/landlords with LHA problems.

Does anyone know of a comparable organisation that offers help/support with Income Support/DWP problems? This issue has already been run past the charity turn2us but I think it needs some heavy duty support

If its housing advice, would it not be Shelter? .. If not maybe they can point you in right direction. Their website is very useful.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Thinking aloud...
      Moy
      I've been reading the posts on this forum of tenants who stop paying rent when receiving notice to leave.
      im simply curious to know that if a tenant on HB receives, for an example, £400 in HB paid directly to the LL and makes up the short fall of £100 themselves, then goes to the council offices...
      15-01-2018, 16:30 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      MisterB
      I would spend considerable time assessing any applicants to rent your property, we do and also visit them at their current address, you soon get an idea of whether you want them as tenants or not!! if you need some reassurance, then sign up for one of the rent guarantee companies, I'm not sure how good...
      18-01-2018, 08:31 AM
      nukecad
      Yes it's a pain for both LL and tenant.

I claim HB, direct to LL, and once had it stopped for 2 months because the DWP made a mistake and told the council I was no longer claiming disability benefit (must have been a miracle cure).
      Of course I was still claiming the disability benefit,...
      17-01-2018, 15:18 PM
      Moy
      MisterB, yes, indeed, people not on benefits can stop paying which was sort of part of my query.
      thinking aloud I was wondering if a tenant on benefits being paid direct to the LL from the council decided not to pay the shortfall (£100 pcm in my example) for whatever reason would only leave the...
      17-01-2018, 10:04 AM
      MisterB
      Mo - five men, four men, three men, two men, one man and his dog went there apparently .....

I don't think your question actually has one single answer .... though if youre not a landlady yet, perhaps you might be considering not taking on HB tenants, but the truth is anyone can stop paying...
      17-01-2018, 08:43 AM
      nukecad
      If it's being paid direct to the LL (HB or UC-he) then it will continue to be paid until the claim is closed, or the claimant asks for it to be paid to themselves.

The claim can be closed by:
      The claimant telling them to close it altogether. (For whatever reason).
      The claimant...
      16-01-2018, 16:07 PM
      Mrs Mug
      Also, in your area, would the tenant be getting Universal Credit that would affect how much Housing Benefit they actually receive....
      16-01-2018, 15:43 PM
      Welshie
      If the tenant is still in the property, Housing Benefit wouldn't stop. It would be paid until they left the property.

In regards to HB departments stopping payment for the slightest thing, it would depend on what that "slightest thing" is. After all, Housing Benefit is a means...
      16-01-2018, 13:53 PM
      theartfullodger
      CO2 detectors won't (usually) help much: CO detectors might ....
      16-01-2018, 13:36 PM
      Moy
      He is self employed and knows what can and cannot be claimed tax wise. The house has been fully rewired with mains smoke/fire detectors. Co2 detectors will be fitted, gas central heating services with gsc issued.
      We have concentrated on making it tenant proof rather than fancy LOL!
      Also...
      16-01-2018, 13:23 PM
    Working...
    X