Rent Arrears and Third Party Deductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent Arrears and Third Party Deductions

My tenant has fallen into serious rent arrears.

Tnhe tenant receives Housing Benefit that is paid direct to me as she went over 2 months into arrears.

However, there are still arrears of rent due (she witheld payment of 2 months housing benefit for no good reason) and the arrears continue to accumulate as there is a difference between the agreed rent and the amount the council pay to me by way of Housing Benefit.

The Tenant is in receipt of various forms of social security/DSS/Sickness allowance/attendance allowance (I really do not know which - but I know that she lives off the state).

Is there a way of claiming back the arrears via a Third Party Deduction from social services payments made to her?

If so, how?

Originally posted by Troubled landlord View Post
    My tenant has fallen into serious rent arrears.

Tnhe tenant receives Housing Benefit that is paid direct to me as she went over 2 months into arrears.

However, there are still arrears of rent due (she witheld payment of 2 months housing benefit for no good reason) and the arrears continue to accumulate as there is a difference between the agreed rent and the amount the council pay to me by way of Housing Benefit.

The Tenant is in receipt of various forms of social security/DSS/Sickness allowance/attendance allowance (I really do not know which - but I know that she lives off the state).

Is there a way of claiming back the arrears via a Third Party Deduction from social services payments made to her?

If so, how?
    While she is a tenant than you can apply for an attachment to benefits. Once she ceases to be a tenant, then this option is no longer available.

Do not expect more than £3 to £5 per week.

Comment

This topic has been regularly covered in earlier posts. If I recall correctly Emma produced a link to the DWP website which sets out the qualifying criteria. The provision is used widely by councils and housing associations and certainly reduces the extent of rent arrears debt. The facility is available to PRS. If you can't access the link suggest you contact your local DWP office. Ask about 'third party deductions' for rent arrears.

hbadvocacy
      www.hbadvice.co.uk

Comment

Knew it was round here somewhere!

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...924#post168924

Very last post!

Comment

Emma,

Just beat me to it! Cheers!

hbadvocacy
          www.hbadvice.co.uk

Comment