X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I withhold a portion of my rent.

I will try and keep this short,
    Live in a converted house (2x2bed flats + 1 studio) Shared hallway/entrance
    I live on the ground floor, rest of properties on 1st floor.
    Have lived here a year by the 1st of march.
    Shortly after moving in I found out that I was paying for the lighting and electricity in the hall, landing and front porch. No mention of this when moving in by the letting agent. Now I dont mind paying for my share of this usage, but feel that I shouldnt have to be burden with having to pay for it all. I wouldnt mind so much if the other occupants turned off the lights when not in use but the top light which I do not need to use is left on and I am constantly turning it off thus with all the lights. I have spoken to the agency a few times about this but its like talking to some one who hasnt got their lights totally turned on! All I get is.. yes we know and we will get back to you.
    What I want to do is to withhold £15.00 from my next months rent for the whole year of electricity that I have been paying for the lights and for 2 of them I dont even use.
    Can any one tell me where I stand on this.
    It may sound trivial I know, but I live off benefits as I am disabled and am also having to pay out for extra heating because a wall in my nieces room (she lives with me 16yrs old) has a damp problem which the land lord/agency has been made aware of and still awaiting to be repaired after them knowing about it since October. Also having to fork out for mould repellents/cleaners which has been detrimental to not only my health but now my niece is starting to suffer with chest complaints. I have been on to the EHS but they have just said if the agency is sending some one round to look at it then there is nothing much more they can do. But that is all they do is look, I have had to replace a bed because of the damp and mould and also a wardrobe where mildew got in and started to rot the fabric.
    Any suggestion would be greatly received.

my sincere apologies I have placed this in the wrong place, please remove and I will start afresh in the correct place, its a blonde thing

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help finding someone to take Housing Benefit with Pets
      cwmbrwla
      Hello, this is my first post so go easy please!
      This is not intended to be a sob story, just some background: A good friend of mine was recently made dependent on housing benefit after leaving an abusive relationship, and has had to foster her dog and cat in order to get a tenancy. She has a small...
      17-07-2017, 12:19 PM
    • Reply to Help finding someone to take Housing Benefit with Pets
      MisterB
      I didnt realise pets got housing benefits .... although our dog certainly has more benefits than I get !!...
      18-07-2017, 19:58 PM
      cwmbrwla
      thanks for that, it's good to hear a sympathetic voice on here! I'll pass that on.
      18-07-2017, 08:21 AM
      theartfullodger
      You might sere if local CaB has a list of agents taking HB recipients - and also council housing dept.

Given what you describe her as (poor lady...) she should get some priority for the housing register in most councils (but they have different rules..). Certainly worth applying, it's free....
      17-07-2017, 14:38 PM
    • dishonest tenant
      creamcaramel662
      My tenant has been a total nightmare as soon as she moved in the trouble started leaks floods boiler not working after months of battling through this and paying for all repairs she stopped paying rent I issued a section 21 to get her out. I have since found out she has been using my details to commit...
      09-07-2017, 09:57 AM
    • Reply to dishonest tenant
      creamcaramel662
      Oh thanks I didn't know that
      09-07-2017, 11:49 AM
      theartfullodger
      You ain't the first.

Please confirm property is registered at some other address & you've got email also from land registry if anyone tries something?
      09-07-2017, 11:33 AM
      JK0
      Par for the course I'm afraid. I hope you changed the council tax and utilities to tenant name when she moved in, or you have screwed yourself. You can get the council to pay you direct once two months rent is unpaid.
      09-07-2017, 10:58 AM
    • tenant on housing benefit paid direct is rehoused but does not vacate immediately
      Bruce Harvey
      My tenant was given a council house after 8 month continuing tenancy under a section 21 notice. Housing benefit was being paid directly to me.
      Housing benefit was paid up to 4th Jun, but my tenants did not return the keys until 6th July.
      Birmingham Council Houses are refurbished before...
      07-07-2017, 06:45 AM
    • Reply to tenant on housing benefit paid direct is rehoused but does not vacate immediately
      theartfullodger
      It is the tenant who has the liability for rent. Sue him.

However there are sometimes circumstances when HB can be paid twice during change-over, but this one doesn;t sound promising & it requires the tenant to do stuff, fill in forms etc...

Sue tenant: Then either...
      07-07-2017, 09:09 AM
    Working...
    X