Can I withhold a portion of my rent.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can I withhold a portion of my rent.

    I will try and keep this short,
    Live in a converted house (2x2bed flats + 1 studio) Shared hallway/entrance
    I live on the ground floor, rest of properties on 1st floor.
    Have lived here a year by the 1st of march.
    Shortly after moving in I found out that I was paying for the lighting and electricity in the hall, landing and front porch. No mention of this when moving in by the letting agent. Now I dont mind paying for my share of this usage, but feel that I shouldnt have to be burden with having to pay for it all. I wouldnt mind so much if the other occupants turned off the lights when not in use but the top light which I do not need to use is left on and I am constantly turning it off thus with all the lights. I have spoken to the agency a few times about this but its like talking to some one who hasnt got their lights totally turned on! All I get is.. yes we know and we will get back to you.
    What I want to do is to withhold £15.00 from my next months rent for the whole year of electricity that I have been paying for the lights and for 2 of them I dont even use.
    Can any one tell me where I stand on this.
    It may sound trivial I know, but I live off benefits as I am disabled and am also having to pay out for extra heating because a wall in my nieces room (she lives with me 16yrs old) has a damp problem which the land lord/agency has been made aware of and still awaiting to be repaired after them knowing about it since October. Also having to fork out for mould repellents/cleaners which has been detrimental to not only my health but now my niece is starting to suffer with chest complaints. I have been on to the EHS but they have just said if the agency is sending some one round to look at it then there is nothing much more they can do. But that is all they do is look, I have had to replace a bed because of the damp and mould and also a wardrobe where mildew got in and started to rot the fabric.
    Any suggestion would be greatly received.

    my sincere apologies I have placed this in the wrong place, please remove and I will start afresh in the correct place, its a blonde thing


    Latest Activity


    • Thinking aloud...
      I've been reading the posts on this forum of tenants who stop paying rent when receiving notice to leave.
      im simply curious to know that if a tenant on HB receives, for an example, £400 in HB paid directly to the LL and makes up the short fall of £100 themselves, then goes to the council offices...
      15-01-2018, 16:30 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      I would spend considerable time assessing any applicants to rent your property, we do and also visit them at their current address, you soon get an idea of whether you want them as tenants or not!! if you need some reassurance, then sign up for one of the rent guarantee companies, I'm not sure how good...
      18-01-2018, 08:31 AM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      Yes it's a pain for both LL and tenant.

      I claim HB, direct to LL, and once had it stopped for 2 months because the DWP made a mistake and told the council I was no longer claiming disability benefit (must have been a miracle cure).
      Of course I was still claiming the disability benefit,...
      17-01-2018, 15:18 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      MisterB, yes, indeed, people not on benefits can stop paying which was sort of part of my query.
      thinking aloud I was wondering if a tenant on benefits being paid direct to the LL from the council decided not to pay the shortfall (£100 pcm in my example) for whatever reason would only leave the...
      17-01-2018, 10:04 AM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      Mo - five men, four men, three men, two men, one man and his dog went there apparently .....

      I don't think your question actually has one single answer .... though if youre not a landlady yet, perhaps you might be considering not taking on HB tenants, but the truth is anyone can stop paying...
      17-01-2018, 08:43 AM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      If it's being paid direct to the LL (HB or UC-he) then it will continue to be paid until the claim is closed, or the claimant asks for it to be paid to themselves.

      The claim can be closed by:
      The claimant telling them to close it altogether. (For whatever reason).
      The claimant...
      16-01-2018, 16:07 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      Mrs Mug
      Also, in your area, would the tenant be getting Universal Credit that would affect how much Housing Benefit they actually receive....
      16-01-2018, 15:43 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      If the tenant is still in the property, Housing Benefit wouldn't stop. It would be paid until they left the property.

      In regards to HB departments stopping payment for the slightest thing, it would depend on what that "slightest thing" is. After all, Housing Benefit is a means...
      16-01-2018, 13:53 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      CO2 detectors won't (usually) help much: CO detectors might ....
      16-01-2018, 13:36 PM
    • Reply to Thinking aloud...
      He is self employed and knows what can and cannot be claimed tax wise. The house has been fully rewired with mains smoke/fire detectors. Co2 detectors will be fitted, gas central heating services with gsc issued.
      We have concentrated on making it tenant proof rather than fancy LOL!
      16-01-2018, 13:23 PM