Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenant leaves without informing landlord

Hi

I have been told on the grapevine that one of my tenants may have left her flat and might not return. The tenancy is still within the initial six months so I cannot terminate it.

My worry is that I get told in Feb or March by the Council that the tenant has just informed them that she left in early January and they will not pay/want back any HB paid after that date. If I were to say that she has not told me and anyway has a contract until April I suspect they will tell me that is between me and the tenant and does not involve the Council.

The tenant does not respond to letters/ phone/texts. Any suggestions pls?

If T return's home within 13 weeks from when they left then HB can continue. Otherwise, it will stop.

If there is no chance of T returning, i.e. LL becomes aware that T has vacated, then the LA must be informed (it's an offence not to); the LL should then bring the tenancy to an end.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyNoHair View Post
      I have been told on the grapevine that one of my tenants may have left her flat and might not return. The tenancy is still within the initial six months so I cannot terminate it.
      Unless she has 2months of unpaid rent, then use S8, gnd 8,10,11 to obtain possession

My worry is that I get told in Feb or March by the Council that the tenant has just informed them that she left in early January and they will not pay/want back any HB paid after that date. If I were to say that she has not told me and anyway has a contract until April I suspect they will tell me that is between me and the tenant and does not involve the Council.
      Unfortunately, the onus will be on you to prove when she actually left.
      Yes, they will not pay for period when T was not residing there.
      You must tell them as soon as you know of the change of circumstances. If C overpays you (continuing to pay LHA when T not living there), they will hound you for recovery.

The tenant does not respond to letters/ phone/texts. Any suggestions pls?
      Typical response when they owe rent. You may have to go through the process for "abandonment" to recover the property

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help finding someone to take Housing Benefit with Pets
        cwmbrwla
        Hello, this is my first post so go easy please!
        This is not intended to be a sob story, just some background: A good friend of mine was recently made dependent on housing benefit after leaving an abusive relationship, and has had to foster her dog and cat in order to get a tenancy. She has a small...
        17-07-2017, 12:19 PM
      • Reply to Help finding someone to take Housing Benefit with Pets
        MisterB
        I didnt realise pets got housing benefits .... although our dog certainly has more benefits than I get !!...
        18-07-2017, 19:58 PM
        cwmbrwla
        thanks for that, it's good to hear a sympathetic voice on here! I'll pass that on.
        18-07-2017, 08:21 AM
        theartfullodger
        You might sere if local CaB has a list of agents taking HB recipients - and also council housing dept.

Given what you describe her as (poor lady...) she should get some priority for the housing register in most councils (but they have different rules..). Certainly worth applying, it's free....
        17-07-2017, 14:38 PM
      • dishonest tenant
        creamcaramel662
        My tenant has been a total nightmare as soon as she moved in the trouble started leaks floods boiler not working after months of battling through this and paying for all repairs she stopped paying rent I issued a section 21 to get her out. I have since found out she has been using my details to commit...
        09-07-2017, 09:57 AM
      • Reply to dishonest tenant
        creamcaramel662
        Oh thanks I didn't know that
        09-07-2017, 11:49 AM
        theartfullodger
        You ain't the first.

Please confirm property is registered at some other address & you've got email also from land registry if anyone tries something?
        09-07-2017, 11:33 AM
        JK0
        Par for the course I'm afraid. I hope you changed the council tax and utilities to tenant name when she moved in, or you have screwed yourself. You can get the council to pay you direct once two months rent is unpaid.
        09-07-2017, 10:58 AM
      • tenant on housing benefit paid direct is rehoused but does not vacate immediately
        Bruce Harvey
        My tenant was given a council house after 8 month continuing tenancy under a section 21 notice. Housing benefit was being paid directly to me.
        Housing benefit was paid up to 4th Jun, but my tenants did not return the keys until 6th July.
        Birmingham Council Houses are refurbished before...
        07-07-2017, 06:45 AM
      • Reply to tenant on housing benefit paid direct is rehoused but does not vacate immediately
        theartfullodger
        It is the tenant who has the liability for rent. Sue him.

However there are sometimes circumstances when HB can be paid twice during change-over, but this one doesn;t sound promising & it requires the tenant to do stuff, fill in forms etc...

Sue tenant: Then either...
        07-07-2017, 09:09 AM
      Working...
      X