Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenant leaves without informing landlord

Hi

I have been told on the grapevine that one of my tenants may have left her flat and might not return. The tenancy is still within the initial six months so I cannot terminate it.

My worry is that I get told in Feb or March by the Council that the tenant has just informed them that she left in early January and they will not pay/want back any HB paid after that date. If I were to say that she has not told me and anyway has a contract until April I suspect they will tell me that is between me and the tenant and does not involve the Council.

The tenant does not respond to letters/ phone/texts. Any suggestions pls?

If T return's home within 13 weeks from when they left then HB can continue. Otherwise, it will stop.

If there is no chance of T returning, i.e. LL becomes aware that T has vacated, then the LA must be informed (it's an offence not to); the LL should then bring the tenancy to an end.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyNoHair View Post
      I have been told on the grapevine that one of my tenants may have left her flat and might not return. The tenancy is still within the initial six months so I cannot terminate it.
      Unless she has 2months of unpaid rent, then use S8, gnd 8,10,11 to obtain possession

My worry is that I get told in Feb or March by the Council that the tenant has just informed them that she left in early January and they will not pay/want back any HB paid after that date. If I were to say that she has not told me and anyway has a contract until April I suspect they will tell me that is between me and the tenant and does not involve the Council.
      Unfortunately, the onus will be on you to prove when she actually left.
      Yes, they will not pay for period when T was not residing there.
      You must tell them as soon as you know of the change of circumstances. If C overpays you (continuing to pay LHA when T not living there), they will hound you for recovery.

The tenant does not respond to letters/ phone/texts. Any suggestions pls?
      Typical response when they owe rent. You may have to go through the process for "abandonment" to recover the property

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Thinking aloud...
        Moy
        I've been reading the posts on this forum of tenants who stop paying rent when receiving notice to leave.
        im simply curious to know that if a tenant on HB receives, for an example, £400 in HB paid directly to the LL and makes up the short fall of £100 themselves, then goes to the council offices...
        15-01-2018, 16:30 PM
      • Reply to Thinking aloud...
        nukecad
        Yes it's a pain for both LL and tenant.

I claim HB, direct to LL, and once had it stopped for 2 months because the DWP made a mistake and told the council I was no longer claiming disability benefit (must have been a miracle cure).
        Of course I was still claiming the disability benefit,...
        17-01-2018, 15:18 PM
        Moy
        MisterB, yes, indeed, people not on benefits can stop paying which was sort of part of my query.
        thinking aloud I was wondering if a tenant on benefits being paid direct to the LL from the council decided not to pay the shortfall (£100 pcm in my example) for whatever reason would only leave the...
        17-01-2018, 10:04 AM
        MisterB
        Mo - five men, four men, three men, two men, one man and his dog went there apparently .....

I don't think your question actually has one single answer .... though if youre not a landlady yet, perhaps you might be considering not taking on HB tenants, but the truth is anyone can stop paying...
        17-01-2018, 08:43 AM
        nukecad
        If it's being paid direct to the LL (HB or UC-he) then it will continue to be paid until the claim is closed, or the claimant asks for it to be paid to themselves.

The claim can be closed by:
        The claimant telling them to close it altogether. (For whatever reason).
        The claimant...
        16-01-2018, 16:07 PM
        Mrs Mug
        Also, in your area, would the tenant be getting Universal Credit that would affect how much Housing Benefit they actually receive....
        16-01-2018, 15:43 PM
        Welshie
        If the tenant is still in the property, Housing Benefit wouldn't stop. It would be paid until they left the property.

In regards to HB departments stopping payment for the slightest thing, it would depend on what that "slightest thing" is. After all, Housing Benefit is a means...
        16-01-2018, 13:53 PM
        theartfullodger
        CO2 detectors won't (usually) help much: CO detectors might ....
        16-01-2018, 13:36 PM
        Moy
        He is self employed and knows what can and cannot be claimed tax wise. The house has been fully rewired with mains smoke/fire detectors. Co2 detectors will be fitted, gas central heating services with gsc issued.
        We have concentrated on making it tenant proof rather than fancy LOL!
        Also...
        16-01-2018, 13:23 PM
        theartfullodger
        Join RLA or NLA and do one of there introductory courses on being a landlord. That will cost you less in time & money than what you save.

If hubby is restoring it to be rented out, how does he know what standards are required (eg fire alarm, smoke detectors, CO detectors)
        16-01-2018, 10:05 AM
      Working...
      X