Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to guarantor?

Hello.

I'm looking for a flat to rent in Essex and am currently out of work so will be claiming LHA.
    Most lettings that accept "DSS" advertise the fact that they want a guarantor which I am sadly unable to obtain.
    I guess my question is, does anyone know of any other method of convincing them to take me on?

I don't really have the cash for 6 months rent upfront and I'm not sure if this is a viable option either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appericated.

KIND REGARDS,
    MR BOLDFINGER

Offer to pay L's cost of obtaining Rent Guarantee Insurance.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

You could try approaching the Housing team at the local Council for advice, or maybe the local CAB. Some Councils run a bond scheme and some CABs can help with sorting out your benefits, deposit etc (here we have a separate Housing and Benefits advice centre)

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        Offer to pay L's cost of obtaining Rent Guarantee Insurance.
        In my experience, insurers won't accept a tenant who has failed a credit-check (which LHA would) and has no guarantor.

Comment

Originally posted by Localgovworker View Post
          Some Councils run a bond scheme...
          In my experience, these schemes offer very little protection for private LL's if T wrecks the property and does a runner; as they have nothing to lose.
          The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by boldfinger View Post
            I guess my question is, does anyone know of any other method of convincing them to take me on?
            Find a private LL: gumtree, local paper, online, etc.

What may help is: having references from working professionals, a checkable work (+ rental) history, a clean credit history, and as much deposit as you can afford.
            The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X