Universal credit direct payment to landlord shambles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal credit direct payment to landlord shambles

My tenant has stopped paying rent for months ago and he is on full universal credit I informed them immediately however there is a two months arrears policy when that past I kept calling them they didn't receive my application.
    I filed that again and again however the system is a shambles may I ask you of your experiences and how to get through to these people.???

You can not get through to anyone to speak directly about a claimant, they wont discuss it with you. The only thing you can do is fill in the UC47 form, usually it's takes 5 weeks for them to process it, there is no guarantee they will pay you, the T could also cancel any requests which are made to have the payment send directly to the LL, the only way is to ask your T (if they are still communicating with you) to login and check their file. Remember the money would have gone to the T, if they don't transfer it to you, as far as UC is concerned the payment has been made, you wont be given any back dated payment as they wont pay twice.

You should prepare to serve notice on the T.

Comment

Try, try, and try again.

I do know that certain parts of the DWP are having problems with mail handling at the moment, I'm not sure if it's affecting UC?
      They say it's Royal Mail, or their own mail handling centres, but actually it's now been found to be an IT problem after it's got there and been scanned in.

You have to remember though that in any dealing you have as a landlord with the DWP that it is not your benefit entitlement, the DWP have no duty to you their duty is to the benefit claimant.

The DWPs job is to see that the claimant gets paid what they have claimed and are entitled to - they have no obligation to pay any third party.

Managed Payments to Landlords (MPTL) are an 'extra' service that they will arrange in certain circumstances.
      As a landlord (or even as the claimant) you can ask for a MPTL but you have no right to demand one.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
        You should prepare to serve notice on the T.
        Get rid asap, the current UC system is a shambles and i see not reason why it will change in the short term, just be prepared for more arrears and evict them.

Comment

....and unless it's changed in the last 10 years, if the Council pay you the rent direct, they are entitled to claim it back from you if its later found that the claimant lied to get it.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

It's the DWP now if it's universal credit, and it's still the same.
            If it turns out the tenant wasn't entitled to the benefit, the landlord has to pay it back.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Pick your tenants more carefully next time.....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X