X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are my options?

I recently increased the rent

Due to benefits cap, tenant has been unable to pay the full rent

Currently, they are in arrears of approximately £500 and I only see things getting worse

The tenant is on a rolling contract

Given the current covid climate, am I allowed to evict the tenant?

If I am allowed to evict the tenant, what would be the most straight forward route?

Are they decent tenants?

Comment

As per Neelix.

I have on occasion allowed a benefit tenant to pay what they received. I think in view of the current situation, maybe be a bit more flexible than you usually would?

Comment

S21 is possibly the safest route providing you are outside the fixed term and have complied with statutory requirements. Otherwise at this stage of arrears there are only discretionary grounds and you will not succeed in getting a Possession Order on those. Once the arrears have reached 2 months or 8 weeks you could use Ground 8. Belt and braces approach is to serve notice using both once the threshold is reached.

Have your tenants applied for discretionary housing payments? They may top up the payments and as it's only the second quarter they should have lots of money still in the kitty.

Comment

I'm afraid that with HB likely to be frozen for the foreseeable future and PRS rents continuing to rise as LLs exit the market while demand increases, this is likely to become a common occurrence.

If your tenant is struggling now I can only think that their ability to pay further increases will be negligible. It seems harsh to evict someone over a smallish shortfall but my guess is it will become larger as time goes on. Yet another reason not to rent to tenants on HB - but where are they going to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
            Are they decent tenants?
            On a scale from 1-10, I would rating of 6

Barring the current situation, payment is usually received.

However the tenant does have a habit of either lying or deliberately not disclosing important information (e.g. not disclosing benefits that they receive in order to make their situation look dire)

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
            S21

Have your tenants applied for discretionary housing payments? They may top up the payments and as it's only the second quarter they should have lots of money still in the kitty.
            Yes they have, however they have been waiting weeks for the first payment

and they say that the payments will only be made for approx five months due to lack of council funds

So after this period, it looks like we will be back to square one

Comment

very difficult situation , i have been unable to raise rents in a few properties as they have lost jobs etc . they are good tenants so i prefer to keep them . had one tenant i had to let rent free for 4 months due to problems . its a fair amount of hassle to evict folks so i would personally reduce rent a bit to what they can afford maybe . tricky though

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X